Servos not returning to center?

Gorva

Hello everyone! I'm sure this has to have happened quite a few times, but still I was unable to find any threads regarding this phenomena except in car RC forums, and I'm quite sure this issue may be different.

Today I finished 3d printing/building the Eclipson model T freeware airplane. I hooked everything up, centered all surfaces... and yet, when I move the rudder to the right and release it, it ends up a little bit off-center. If I then move the rudder to the left, it returns perfectly to the center. This happens with any movement to the right, be it either full deflection or just a little bit. And as soon as a bit of left rudder is applied, it returns perfectly to the center.

Now, this servo is not the most reliable, expensive option out there. It's a cheap chinese Turnigy knockoff. But other than this it works flawlessly (as do all other cheap knockoff servos I've ever used). Is there anything I might be missing?

Thank you very much for your help!

BlockerAviation

Legendary member
Hello everyone! I'm sure this has to have happened quite a few times, but still I was unable to find any threads regarding this phenomena except in car RC forums, and I'm quite sure this issue may be different.

Today I finished 3d printing/building the Eclipson model T freeware airplane. I hooked everything up, centered all surfaces... and yet, when I move the rudder to the right and release it, it ends up a little bit off-center. If I then move the rudder to the left, it returns perfectly to the center. This happens with any movement to the right, be it either full deflection or just a little bit. And as soon as a bit of left rudder is applied, it returns perfectly to the center.

Now, this servo is not the most reliable, expensive option out there. It's a cheap chinese Turnigy knockoff. But other than this it works flawlessly (as do all other cheap knockoff servos I've ever used). Is there anything I might be missing?

Thank you very much for your help!
Nope, nothing your missing, unless your mechanical linkage is sloppy but, you would have noticed more than the servo not returning to center. Some servos just don't return to center well. I have a few servos like that and there's nothing you can really do except replace them. There might be some solution that I don't know about though. When I get a servo that won't center reliably, I just replace it especially if I'm using cheap servos.
Anyways, I hope this helps.

Gorva

Nope, nothing your missing, unless your mechanical linkage is sloppy but, you would have noticed more than the servo not returning to center. Some servos just don't return to center well. I have a few servos like that and there's nothing you can really do except replace them. There might be some solution that I don't know about though. When I get a servo that won't center reliably, I just replace it especially if I'm using cheap servos.
Anyways, I hope this helps.
Thank you very much for your reply.
I'll see how it flies as it is, I just really don't want to dissassemble everything again... and then I'll probably replace it after it crashes :D

Thanks!

BlockerAviation

Legendary member
Thank you very much for your reply.
I'll see how it flies as it is, I just really don't want to dissassemble everything again... and then I'll probably replace it after it crashes :D

Thanks!
As long as it doesn't flutter or Lock to one side or the other, you should be alright. It just may not want to track as straight.

Bricks

Master member
As BlockerAviato said are your hinges nice and smooth or are they stiff can cause this issue too.