Servos

YellowHawk

I want to add flaperons or duel aileron servos and flaps to my trainer. I have an eight channel radio and receiver but I need one or two new servos. I have two old Tower Hobbies System 2000 TS-51 servos still in the package. I think the package said these servos are for RC cars and trucks. Will they work for aileron servos? I'm not sure what the difference would be between car/truck servos and aircraft servos.

CrazyFastFlying

Elite member
I want to add flaperons or duel aileron servos and flaps to my trainer. I have an eight channel radio and receiver but I need one or two new servos. I have two old Tower Hobbies System 2000 TS-51 servos still in the package. I think the package said these servos are for RC cars and trucks. Will they work for aileron servos? I'm not sure what the difference would be between car/truck servos and aircraft servos.

It depends on what size the servo is. I don't think RC truck servos are any different than airplane servos. Since the tiny trainer is a small airplane, the servos have to be pretty small. What are the dimensions of the Tower Hobbies System 2000 TS-51 servos?

Jeremy

YellowHawk

Jeremy, the Futaba S3003 servos that came with the Nexstar are 1.6x0.8x1.4 in. The TS-51 is 1.6x0.8x1.4in. So, size wise, it should work. The Futaba S3003 speed is 0.23sec/60 degrees (at 4.8V) and the TS-51 is .21sec/60degrees. The size/application says (Standard) cars or trucks (on-or off-road). Torque on the TS-51 is 38 oz/in. which is slightly lower than the 44.4 oz.in of the S3003.

YellowHawk

I just found a little info on a Google search. Someone said that Futaba, Hitech and many other control arms don't fit the Tower Hobbies servos. Maybe I should just order a couple more Futaba servos.

Bricks

Master member
Those are some very slow servos and only going 60 degrees used for the timing, I have a few of those laying around and would only use them for flaps or landing gear, as I like a bit quicker servo especially on control surfaces.

YellowHawk

Bricks...you are correct. They are slow. I connected one of the TS-51 servos to another receiver I have and tried them. They work but they do move a lot slower than I would have expected. I don't think I want to use those on ailerons. I'll just order a couple of decent servos. I got the Tower Hobbies servos in a box of old RC stuff a guy at work gave me.

Piotrsko

Master member
Properly set up, they will move surfaces faster than YOU can fly. Unless you want to hang them on something that flies extreme 3D, they will do the job, just increase the expo some. My oldest plane has a couple of vintage servos that take 2 seconds to do 60 degrees, but I don't do aerobatics with it without a lunch and bathroom break.

Servos in the hand are better than stuff in the stores warehouse.