Settings for Maiden on my Simple Cub with Flysky FS-I6X?

flyinsparky

I am ready to maiden my first build, a 3-channel FT Simple Cub. I have a only a little experience, some simulator time, and a few dozen flights logged on my Night Vapor RTF (with no SAFE enabled.) I am a bit nervous for my first flight and was wondering if I could get some help for settings for dual rate/expo for anyone who has this setup. I have never flown with this transmitter, so setting it it up correctly and flying with it on a brand new plane will be a challenge. I used the gauge included in the build and set the deflection by adjusting the rate for the elevator and rudder to 50. I experimented with settings for expo, but I cannot see/feel any real difference on the bench when I set it to 30 as Flite Test recommends. I hear all sorts of stories about people setting their rates too high for their first flight, but not really anyone who set it too low.

Any recommended settings for rate and expo? Also, when I tried to set my failsafe, the throttle would only go down to -99% (it will go to 100%, or -100% on other channels, just not on the throttle.) Has anyone else had that issue? Any other settings I need to be aware of before I go out and crash this for the first time?

Finally, should I put in a gyro? I have both a Hobbyeagle A3 Pro V2, and a Radiolink Byme-A that I was planning on using on future builds with my son.

Thanks, and wish me luck!

Last edited:

FlyerInStyle

Elite member
I am ready to maiden my first build, a 3-channel FT Simple Cub. I have a only a little experience, some simulator time, and a few dozen flights logged on my Night Vapor RTF (with no SAFE enabled.) I am a bit nervous for my first flight and was wondering if I could get some help for settings for dual rate/expo for anyone who has this setup. I have never flown with this transmitter, so setting it it up correctly and flying with it on a brand new plane will be a challenge. I used the gauge included in the build and set the deflection by adjusting the rate for the elevator and rudder to 50. I experimented with settings for expo, but I cannot see/feel any real difference on the bench when I set it to 30 as Flite Test recommends. I hear all sorts of stories about people setting their rates too high for their first flight, but not really anyone who set it too low.

Any recommended settings for rate and expo? Also, when I tried to set my failsafe, the throttle would only go down to -99% (it will go to 100%, or -100% on other channels, just not on the throttle.) Has anyone else had that issue? Any other settings I need to be aware of before I go out and crash this for the first time?

Finally, should I put in a gyro? I have both a Hobbyeagle A3 Pro V2, and a Radiolink Byme-A that I was planning on using on future builds with my son.

Thanks, and wish me luck!
I setup 50, 75, and 100 on rates on switch c, and for expo, I put 30.

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
...I used the gauge included in the build and set the deflection by adjusting the rate for the elevator and rudder to 50....
...Any recommended settings for rate and expo?....
It's the throw that is important, how far the control surface moves. Use whatever Tx rate you need to get the throw you are looking for. This will vary from build to build depending on which holes you have the linkage in. It's always best to use the linkage holes that allow you to use a higher rate. Rates at 100, you will have something like 1,000 steps in the servo movement from one end to the other. With low rates, say 30, you will only have 300 steps. You just loose too much resolution on very low rates. Have one rate set for the lower throw gauge and another rate for the higher throw gauge.

To increase the throw, on the servo, more the linkage outwards, on the control surface move the linkage inwards.

Expo is purely pilot preference, some like a lot, others none. 30% expo is a good starting place.

...Finally, should I put in a gyro? ...
You can, but I would start with the gyro off.
Get the plane trimmed out first, then turn the gyro on. All planes are difficult to fly until you get them trimmed out. If you don't have the gyro setup correctly, it will be nearly impossible to fly. I always use a switch on the Tx to turn the gyro on & off.

Be sure to check the CG, it's better to be slightly nose heavy, you plane will fly, it maybe poorly.
If you are tail heavy, your plane will only fly once.

If you live in an area with a flying club, take you plane to them and have an experienced pilot check it out and maiden it for you. They will be happy to help you learn to fly.

flyinsparky

Rates at 100, you will have something like 1,000 steps in the servo movement from one end to the other. With low rates, say 30, you will only have 300 steps. You just loose too much resolution on very low rates.

That is really great info, I didn't realize it cut resolution like that. Thanks!

Last edited: