Share your dumbest moments here!

speedbirdted

Legendary member
I thin leather welding gloves would be kinda useful when starting a gasser
Never touch that prop with your hands except when taking it on or off the engine. The reverse edge of a prop (esp APC or MAS props) is basically a knife. I have seen them go through gloves. The main reason is because glow engines will often kick horribly when cold starting and that's basically putting all the pressure you exerted getting that prop rotating through compression backwards into that reverse edge of the prop which will both then try to go through your finger and your finger will try to go through it.

The ONLY exception to this is engines with CDI's as by nature they won't do it. I had a NGH GT9 which would never do it and I would hand start it ungloved with confidence time and time again. Hell I even started it with my pinky occasionally just to disprove club members who spout about all Chinese engines being junk. It was actually an all around great motor - I kinda regret selling it. (especially cause they're on permanent backorder aka discontinued now)

Electric starters are really bad for engines. Mostly to the bearings but in some cases you can have engines where the crankpin will rub against the crankcase backplate and create microscopic metal shavings which is never a good thing in an engine. A good way to know if this is happening is if you get a lot of solid black crap out of your exhaust (normal exhaust is usually brownish if you use a lot of castor or resembles the color of the fuel) I usually just use a screwdriver to start them. It works on pretty much any engine size, as long as you're brave enough.