Sharing flyinng with my girls.

Capt_Beavis

Posted a thousand or more times
I bought a Sport Cub S to teach my daughts (14 and 12) to fly. My 12 year old was afraid to try it for fear of crashing but she did great and really enjoyed. the 14 year old did great and even flew on Expert mode for a bit. Now I need to get my 5yr old son flying.

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
Awesome! I've been trying to get my granddaughters in too...so far has been hard to get them interested in anything but instagram...

brettp2004

Get your 5yo a Duet! My son is flying it at 4! He turns 5 next week can fly the FT Storch with no problem (buddy boxed with the storch just in case!).

Capt_Beavis

I learned on the Duet but mine it about ready for retirement. His attention span is kind of short with the planes, he is working with Phoenix R/C a bit though. I just got buddy boxing checked out on my controllers using a stereo cable. I am excited about that.

whiskeyjack

You guys are lucky if you can get your kids interested early. I tried to get my daughter (now 36) interested in some of the things I did. The only things that stuck were fishing and woodworking. But then when she was 12, she discovered Horses! (sigh)

But I got a second chance with the grand daughter. I picked up a glider for her which she enjoyed last summer and last night we put together a "F5" glider from RCPowers. She was running around the house pretending she was flying. But allas she too has discovered Horses!

So good luck you guys. My advice, keep the girls away from barns! WJ.

Capt_Beavis

I had my younger daughter out flying the Sport Cub S today and it had its first crash! I accidently switched her into intermediate mode when I meant to put her into low rates. The plane was diving and I wasn't in a good spot to hit the panic button. It hit at about a 45 deg angle but it didn't get a scratch. It is amazing little plane and a blast to fly.

Capt_Beavis

My older daughter flew my UMX Radian tonight. It was a little out of trim and she had to hand it back to me a couple of times but I got it trimmed and she was doing loops like crazy and then landed it. She said it was her best flight yet.

Capt_Beavis

I was going to get an old speedster or mini speedster to let the kids fly but I then I figured I would just repair my hanger rash damaged Champ. The kids love it. My 6 year old flew it with only minor intervention and my oldest daughter flew it while I flew my delta ray today.

Ron B

none of my family has an interest so I just fly by my self or with the guys. It would be really nice to get the wife or some of the grand kids into flying.

smithhayward

Large Child
Hey Capt! I've been trying to get my kids (Twins; a boy and a girl, 7) interested. They're yet to come with me to fly (since I JUST got my Storch airborne this week for the first time), but I too have Phoenix. So far they really like to crash. I told them, if they can fly around without crashing for 5 minutes then they can try for real.

bhursey

The Geeky Pilot
My daughter is 7 and is lerning mainly just on real flight. She flys great just forgets to turn back lol. I hope next year to buy new radios and budy box with her at a flying field..

Capt_Beavis

The DX4e makes for a great buddy box RX if you are on Spektrum. Also, it is pretty easy to just set with them and help them work the right stick. Tell them to leave the left alone.

bhursey

The Geeky Pilot
The DX4e makes for a great buddy box RX if you are on Spektrum. Also, it is pretty easy to just set with them and help them work the right stick. Tell them to leave the left alone.

I don't have a 2.4 radio yet. Instill fly my 72mhz futaba t6xa. I have a very limited budget looks like I may get 2 turnigy 9x. Also they are modular which is good. http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/..._Module_8ch_Receiver_Mode_2_v2_Firmware_.html

Good tip about the sticks. Right now I stand behind her with both our hands on the tx and I correct if she's in trouble.

Last edited: