Shark Seen In Wisconsin !!

Madspadder

This is a kit that I stumbled across after I had built my small shark that had the head idea I am using on the large one. From what I read he only sold a couple of these in 2014. I ordered the 80" one just to see how he made the articulated tail. Not sure I will do that just curious on how he built his. I will post pics here when I get the kit. Here is a link if anyone wants to try one out, there is a smaller version for $35.00 also https://balsabuddies.com/planes/Shark.htm

leaded50

Legendary member
ha,ha, the twisting motion of the hole body as rudder function was genious!! Something to think of ;). Crazy fun!

Rcgroup is a problem.. whatever i cant post anything, because even if correct name/password, it wouldnt agree. By reset the password , it wouldnt function either. . Hate the sh*** it should be propblematic.... security as a bank vault for a hobbyplace. :cautious:

Sadly living far from US, & Flite Fest..
I have a RC landingstrip / fly field just 0.12 miles from my home.. mainly many turbine jet flyers, you know be the "coolest,most hightech" person :LOL::ROFLMAO: but also one good friend who know me well enough from other things i done, and seen some of my builds to know foamboards aint just a joke. But im seen forward to let a shark float into the place. Ha,ha

Last edited:

Madspadder

I had been out of the hobby for several years and couldn't get back on either. I setup a new email and registered with that. Bob is sending me the 80" version so we can see how he set it all up. I think it's cool how it bends , but you probably won't see it to much when it's flying. I am also curious how he did the elevons in the back with the fuse bending. Seems like that would make the shark go into a frenzy.

Madspadder

Thinking about using screen frame in the fuse to support the tail better. I should be able to hide it by putting some strips of foam on an angle along the fuse. This will also give me a good place to run wires for the servos and keep it nice and neat. Here is a pic of the rear elevons. The rear elevons are 5” wide by 10” long. I am pretty optimistic about this set up.

Attachments

• 4F5D9B83-85B9-4B53-9B32-C287C09BC544.jpeg
    4F5D9B83-85B9-4B53-9B32-C287C09BC544.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0

Madspadder

this is a picture showing the screen frame and how I might hide it. The screen frame is 3/4" x1/4" x 80". It is strongest on edge so if I need strength side to side it will have to lay the 3/4" direction and will stick out of the foam slightly. Not a big deal but it will show. The screen frame is light super strong and relatively inexpensive. We used this in a lot of our coroplast designs years ago and it holds up well.

Attachments

• 550A0878-EA4C-42A6-BF5B-F1D33FCB25FB.jpeg
    550A0878-EA4C-42A6-BF5B-F1D33FCB25FB.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 0

Madspadder

ha,ha, the twisting motion of the hole body as rudder function was genious!! Something to think of ;). Crazy fun!

Rcgroup is a problem.. whatever i cant post anything, because even if correct name/password, it wouldnt agree. By reset the password , it wouldnt function either. . Hate the sh*** it should be propblematic.... security as a bank vault for a hobbyplace. :cautious:

Sadly living far from US, & Flite Fest..
I have a RC landingstrip / fly field just 0.12 miles from my home.. mainly many turbine jet flyers, you know be the "coolest,most hightech" person :LOL::ROFLMAO: but also one good friend who know me well enough from other things i done, and seen some of my builds to know foamboards aint just a joke. But im seen forward to let a shark float into the place. Ha,ha
It was the same for me at our field. They would laugh at planes I built from sign plastic but when they saw them fly and how quickly I could have one built, they all joined in. I also live close to our club field ,less than 5 minutes. My brother and I can fly in our back yards also, I live on 5 acres and my brother owns 40 behind me with a 100 acre farm field behind him. We are a little spoiled.

leaded50

Legendary member
Elevons in back shouldnt be any problem with short servorods, and servo mounted on same part .

Here is what i did with a rounded "channel" to belly for placement of battery, a sliced inside opening as the whole rounded area to both sides as big as the battery is done in fuselage approx 150mm lenght ,for possibility on adjusting battery placement.. That channel goes from front and to mid of the front fins. Perfect place to hide & secure battery, and easy to adjust it for weight fore/aft, with stopper in front and back. And it stiffen the whole "fish". Channel is 60 x 40mm outside in a halfround shape.

Attachments

• Shark3.png
    Shark3.png
    928.6 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

leaded50

Legendary member
i can tell, they can be as "jerky" they want, the turbine guys, the more im gonna do the opposit :LOL::ROFLMAO:... if necessary i even put a turbine in a foam model. Its possible, with enough securing on heat

Madspadder

Elevons in back shouldnt be any problem with short servorods, and servo mounted on same part .

Here is what i did with a rounded "channel" to belly for placement of battery, a sliced inside opening as the whole rounded area to both sides as big as the battery is done in fuselage approx 150mm lenght ,for possibility on adjusting battery placement.. That channel goes from front and to mid of the front fins. Perfect place to hide & secure battery, and easy to adjust it for weight fore/aft, with stopper in front and back. And it stiffen the whole "fish". Channel is 60 x 40mm outside in a halfround shape.
That would definitely strengthen things up.

leaded50

Legendary member
my first "shark - crash" .. a tree suddenly jumped in the way for the shark.. and was to big, the shark couldnt bite over? Prop break, and a minor damage at lower end of tailfin . Flew ok? yes, it did, a bit weird though, and could do some quite "high alpha" tendencys when wanted. Enjoyed it!

Madspadder

Sharks aren't used to seeing trees. My shark flies high alpha well. Were your elevons effective? I haven't tried to roll the shark yet, only been indoors. I know when you go smaller on this design it has a tendency to want to roll from the torque of the motor. Lateral balance is important on this design.

leaded50

Legendary member
it rolls...it was in a loop the tree jumped in the way... elevons effective! Rudder only used once. Sharks and trees aint well known, for sure. :ROFLMAO::LOL:
Im using a 2208 1400kv brushless motor

Madspadder

Would love to see some video of your shark. Congrats on a successful flight. I hope more people give this a try. My shark kit is being sent on Wednesday so should have it by the weekend. I still have a couple more projects I need to finish for Buzzard Models but should be caught up by the weekend.

Madspadder

Decided to add more skin, wanted to be able to make some gills. I don’t think this will effect it to adversely, as long as I don’t go past the widest part of the body.

Attachments

• D0DE7AF2-E155-4624-9CBE-9B7FA442AF4B.jpeg
    D0DE7AF2-E155-4624-9CBE-9B7FA442AF4B.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • 379A0BA8-1FA0-4118-855E-EC0DB9F50AC6.jpeg
    379A0BA8-1FA0-4118-855E-EC0DB9F50AC6.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • BD55C23F-BCCD-4ABF-9064-21910DE5C43C.jpeg
    BD55C23F-BCCD-4ABF-9064-21910DE5C43C.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0