Shark Seen In Wisconsin !!

Madspadder

Thought you might like to see my latest idea. Real easy to build, first I just sketched a shark side view from a sketch to a length of 39". Next I found a top view drawing and sketched that to match the length of the side view. I kept the fins as far back as possible without ruining the looks to have better control. For controls I just have elevons on the fins and the tail as a rudder. The shark balanced at about one third the length. I am doing some surfboard ideas to go along with the shark and have a 6 foot surfboard and 8 foot shark started. If the big ones work we may make the trip to Flite Fest..

Figure9

Elite member
Thought you might like to see my latest idea. Real easy to build, first I just sketched a shark side view from a sketch to a length of 39". Next I found a top view drawing and sketched that to match the length of the side view. I kept the fins as far back as possible without ruining the looks to have better control. For controls I just have elevons on the fins and the tail as a rudder. The shark balanced at about one third the length. I am doing some surfboard ideas to go along with the shark and have a 6 foot surfboard and 8 foot shark started. If the big ones work we may make the trip to Flite Fest..

Oh yes, I can imagine a feeding frenzy in the sky during RC Combat.

Madspadder

Oh yes, I can imagine a feeding frenzy in the sky during RC Combat.
I think those combat pilots might be in some dangerous waters.
88347090_224980338630677_3959147359358681088_n.jpg

Madspadder

The flight in the video had the front fins as elevator with a servo on each side and the tail fin as a rudder. We are now setting the front fins as elevons which mix elevator and ailerons on the fins and rudder on the tail fin. The shark has plenty of elevator authority with this set up. I can take a video if you need to see how it’s set up. Sometimes it helps to see it.

leaded50

Legendary member
nice.. no need for video, i understand the system :)
Reason for asking, is unusual with elevons /ailerons as much to front without elevator since its a "long" tail. Just wondered how that was to fly. Ill make a similar testflyer. Then i know ;)

Last edited:

Madspadder

That
nice.. no need for video, i understand the system :)
Reason for asking, is unusual with elevons /ailerons as much to front without elevator since its a "long" tail. Just wondered how that was to fly. Ill make a similar testflyer. Then i know ;)
That is why I set it up as elevator and rudder because I was also unsure if it would work that far forward. I am not a cad guy but I could make a sketch with dimensions and cg location later today if you would like.

leaded50

Legendary member
that was what i wondered about too, when as forward. Even if see on the video it does function! Quite some "high alpha" :)

Madspadder

Here are some pics of my progress on the “Maneater”. Found some 1 1/2” glass shark eyes!!

Attachments

• C146E8FD-8ECD-4826-85A8-D7ED7A89CF68.jpeg
    C146E8FD-8ECD-4826-85A8-D7ED7A89CF68.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • 7F0742C3-BE6F-409A-B318-AC87DA1BF975.jpeg
    7F0742C3-BE6F-409A-B318-AC87DA1BF975.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 0

leaded50

Legendary member
Im enjoying taking your idea to a tryout here, in 800mm... .. and yes , i did also made more "body" in the head for the electronic by "skin it" , and under centerline to hide/hold battery. I also made some minor fins before tail to help "lift" tail too.

Attachments

• Shark2.png
    Shark2.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 0

Madspadder

Im enjoying taking your idea to a tryout here, in 800mm... .. and yes , i did also made more "body" in the head for the electronic by "skin it" , and under centerline to hide/hold battery. I also made some minor fins before tail to help "lift" tail too.
That looks awesome !! I am doing the same on the 8 footer. Excited to see how it flies. My cg was about 1/3 the length of the fuse.

leaded50

Legendary member
much similar to what i did.. something for the tail, to float on :) Im looking forward to let my shark pass the neighbors window... :LOL::ROFLMAO::LOL::ROFLMAO:
At belly i just made a half-round skin that can take a 1800 mAh 3s battery.. and long enough to set battery to adjust for correct CG.
On upper part, close to 90% of sides.. just keeping a little edge. But easy to take if gonna skin hole upper fish. Its the belly who needs the floating "wing" cause.

Madspadder

Would look great if it could be skinned past the dorsal fin. I don't think I would skin it past the widest part of the body because it would alter the air flow over the wing. My big shark starts to narrow at the front elevons. I am not going to add any more skin until I see if it flies. Keep us posted on what works, this is a totally new concept for me so still experimenting. I have some friends that want to go to Flite Fest this year and are counting on me to get some " big " ideas working so I am this is one of them.

leaded50

Legendary member
new concept for all, but i enjoy the shark idea :). A really big angry shark flying around is superb! :D.
Ill update on my experiences.
About more skin.. yes, check what happends in flying before making something permanent.

Madspadder

Hinging the front elevons. These are 6” wide at the ends and 5” in the center and 17” long. Still need to add some strength to the tail fin and back fuse.

Attachments

• BF2D7910-51E9-4068-9203-B7AF592F04CD.jpeg
    BF2D7910-51E9-4068-9203-B7AF592F04CD.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0