She Flys!

Mambawan

Well she flew! Then crashed, then flew again! Then crashed again, then I was run out of props lol. But it definitely flew! Made a rooky mistake launching into the sun and my eyes burned so I put it down, rather hard broke first prop. Next time I got a good lap in round the field but miss judged where I was in respect of the trees, I flew it overhead and as I turned round to follow it I saw the tree and was too late to avoid it, crash! It was a big tree so I’m glad it let the plane go, the second prop broke as it hit the floor.

It was a bit of a handful if I'm honest, it’s needs better trimming, I’ll redo it all before net flight. I’ve ordered some more props so try again next weekend. It did feel quite heavy too, I'm not so sure film covering it was the best move.

It flew totally differently to the little park flyer I've been running, or maybe I was just nervous lol

Anyway roll on the postman with extra props and lets hope for some decent weather at the weekend!

Maiden flight, and crash lol (My 7yo's camera skills are not so good)

FDS

Elite member
Well done. Bigger brushless motor planes can feel very fast at first. Try adding some incidence to the wing, a 1mm or so spacer under the leading edge can do this, it helped my TT fly better.
Also be sure to have low rates and a bit of expo set up to help over controlling.
Flying over your head is never a good idea, nor is flying directly towards yourself, especially when you first start, since both situations increase the chances of loss of control. Try to set up a simple circuit or fig 8 for initial flights, with yourself positioned in the centre of the 8 for fig 8’s and the middle of final leg on circuits, well back from the flight path. At least 20ft to begin with. This helps you to stay away from head on or overhead situations and to keep control. Put your fig 8 downwind of yourself.
I got lots of good tips off this article
https://www.rc-airplane-world.com/flying-your-rc-airplane.html

KSP_CPA

Flying over your head is never a good idea, nor is flying directly towards yourself, especially when you first start, since both situations increase the chances of loss of control.

Speaking from personal experience, I would not do both of these at the same time either. Quite amazing how fast some of these planes fly; also quite amazing how quickly one can scare themselves with a fast flying plane.

A huge congrats on the successful first flight. I broke two props on the first three flights, then three on the next five flights, but afterwards my prop expenditures started to go down with more flight time. if the only thing broken is a prop, that's not a crash!

Reactions: FDS

Mambawan

It was definately fast compaired to the park flyer, ate up what was previously a big field in no time.

I was very pleased to see it flying, and cant wait to give it anotherr try!

FoamyDM

Building Fool-Flying Noob
Congratulations @Mambawan on the flight success! I was able to gently set my cub down. However with more throttle, I found she went at a pretty good clip.
If you install Flaps and use them it will also slow the plane down.

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
Congrtulations on the successful flight.
Remember the FT moto: Build, fly, crash, repeat.

basslord1124

Master member
Congrats on the flight and experience. It is quite the thrill once they are airborne. :)

Not sure if you are doing a 3ch or 4ch Cub. I did a 3ch on mine and in that setup I found that low rates is just about all you need for general circuit flying.