SheppO's Mighty Mini Spitfire

SheppO

Just finished drawing this - 600mm span - calibrated for 3mm board but if there is interest I could adjust them. Hatch design akin to the FT MM Mustang. Turtle deck / cockpit will be free-styled for a good pattern and then added to the drawing.
Screen Shot 2016-03-04 at 10.48.20.png Screen Shot 2016-03-04 at 10.48.28.png

Attachments

• Speedster_Spit_rev A.pdf
    214.3 KB · Views: 96

flyingsquirrelRC

Cool. I was looking for one to have combat with localfiend's mighty mini bf109, but I didn't really find one. This would fit an f pack?

SheppO

Thanks guys - I have re drawn the plans for Dollar tree type board - I'm building here with black / grey stuff - stripping internal paper and using UHU Por and gorilla wood glue - it's the lightest I can achieve with what's easily available in the U.K. I've picked up a few bugs with the plans already so I will fix the drawings before I re post. The design is based on the FT MM Mustang so yes an f pack is probablly the one to go with. I'll be using a 2204 multi star elite. 6 inch prop would be pretty scale -30mm spinner would also look great but I've mot managed to find a spinner to work with that motor shaft.

97tj-neil

I built a mini Spitfire by printing out the standard FT Spitfire plans at 60% scale. I had to modify all of the slots and cavities back to the full width of the DTFB, but that was pretty easy to do on the printed plans. I have been flying it on an A pack with the mini power pod, and it flies really well.

6FC4EF18-89DE-4FFC-B22B-528107148DA0_zps3xqmex1d.jpg

SheppO

Cool man, good to know - nice build. I think my wingspan is a touch less but not much. A lighter 1806 should be fine power wise I guess.

SheppO

Some progress on this project - not entirely happy with the turtle deck shapes, and the hatch tab / skewer thing has not worked out but I'll push on and add the canopy and aileron control rods. Then it will be good to go. Weight is fairly close to the mustang - achieved by peeling internal paper off this heavy uk foam. I'll revisit the plans and adjust a few bits once this one has flown / crashed .... image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Ron B

Posted a thousand or more times
Put a popcycle stick under the hatch at the front so it can slide under the lip at the front of the fuselage then use magnets at the rear and it will stay in place and is easy to remove.

SheppO

Thanks for the comments all. Life has got in the way of this one for me, and I've been putting what little time i have for RC into other ideas / projects. I have revised the plans for Adams / Dollar Tree board and made a few other tweaks following my partial build. Turtle decks still need to be added to the v1.1 plans - but i would say that they are pretty simple if you look at the pictures of my first build and are familiar with the general FT way of doing things. The rear fuse is essentially a tapered rectangle trimmed to fit the rear cockpit bulkhead former. The nose one is a the same design as the original FT spitfire - a rectangle with a tapered rectangle cut to form the sloping nose. Cockpit will plant onto the hatch.
I would say that there is an issue with the positions of the braces that the hatch sits on and slots down into which made fitting electronics tricky which will be another thing to address in future revisions.

Need to see if the thing flies first of course !

Attachments

• Sheppo_Mini Spit_v1_1.pdf
    145.3 KB · Views: 49

flyingsquirrelRC

Hi I am looking to make this to have combat with a friend and his soon-to-be-completed might mini bf-109, but I was wondering if you have the tiled plans?

Thanks.

SheppO

Hi I am looking to make this to have combat with a friend and his soon-to-be-completed might mini bf-109, but I was wondering if you have the tiled plans?

Thanks.

Here you go - the full plan is to fit an ISO A1 sheet but here i have tiled onto US Letter - which I guess will be easier for you.
Hope this is not too much of a pain to fit together.

Good luck

Attachments

• Sheppo_Mini Spit_v1_1_Tiled_US Letter.pdf
    187.2 KB · Views: 43

Aeronaut

Build+Crash= +more power!
I just put together the plans and tiled the second set of posted plans, and it doesn't fit on a standard piece of dtfb. Not sure if this was intentional but just letting you know

SheppO

Thanks - unfortunately it won't : UK / International foamboards are SO A1 (841x594mm) - US 20x30" DTFB (762x508mm) - I set the tile size to "US letter" - for ease of printing for you guys over there. But I would suggest rough cutting out the pieces before spray gluing down to what ever size of foam you use - i think if you are careful you will be able to get all the pieces out of one 20x30" sheet.