Shipping Cheers & Jeers

JimCR120

Got Lobstah?
Site Moderator
Some of you might know I've been drooling over the Excalibur. Thursday, just after midnight (making it actually Friday), I ordered one along with a bunch of other things for me and a friend coming into the hobby. The order was split because the charger and 1 LiPo was not available in the US warehouse. The orders shipped later on Friday with the one coming to Maine from the west coast scheduled to get here this Friday (1 week seems reasonable) while the other from Honk Kong arrived yesterday (unbelievable)! Very different from my first HK order years ago that took >3 weeks.

Anyone know how an international shipment including LiPo batteries can go so far so quickly through the normal red tape especialy when I chose the cheapest shipping option?

Last edited:

nhk750

Aviation Enthusiast
Sometimes I hear people not liking Hobby King, but I always have patients whith them and thier customer service has always taken care of me. When shipping from China I have had stuff take up to a month and sometimes only a few days. I think it depends on how they ship it, like groond or air. Ground would be in a container on a ship and is probably the cheapest for them. I think possibly they get extra room in air ship containers and that is why we get stuff faster sometimes. They messed up on my Tundra shipping (from china)when I bought it and never shiped it, I called them three weeks later and they apologized then shipped it next day air from China. Amazingly, I got it the next day with expidited shipping stickers from China Fed Ex, I was amazed! Great customer service.

LitterBug

Techno Nut
I have never had a problem with my HK orders. Haven't really bought much from them though. Patience with the slow boat would be the only drawback I've had. Have a couple sets of 6" props on order now. Waiting to see which ones from which warehouse get here first.

Cheers!
LitterBug

Ricci

Posted a thousand or more times
I also had never Problems with HK. They have changed some Prozess of tracking so now is even better.
I get an email when dhipped and a email when the local delivere haa get the package and a third mail with the exact date they deliver to me with s phone number to contact the driver. Just perfect!

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
I have heard from lots of people on the forums now that HK has dramatically improved their shipping and customer service over the past couple years. I had several bad electronics experiences about 18-24 months ago with HK that has prompted me to only order from small US based businesses for all of the parts I possibly can. So while it appears HK is doing better these days, which I'm glad to hear, I'm still only ordering truly unique items from HK, and with money I can afford to lose.

lrussi750

Rogue Pilot
Mentor
I thought is was the live Maine lobster that caused the drooling? It looks the the Excalibur is finally coming down to an acceptable price range. I've been wanting to add this to my collection since the first teaser video showed up. I'm one good HK sale away from pulling the trigger on this beauty. Enjoy it Jim!

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Not sure on HK orders but I do know Lipos can not be shipped by air now. The regulations state they can only be like 35% charge capacity which puts them under the minimum voltage for lipos.

The dock strikes have also been cleared up I believe which was what had been holding many over seas orders and getting things thru customs. This is probably why they got here quicker as well.

ElectriSean

Eternal Student
Mentor
I'm surprised you are able to get lipo's from the China warehouse at all, they won't ship from there to Canada. They have to come from the US warehouse via FedEx ground, and always have an additional charge (usually 50% of the order total) 2 weeks after delivery. I'm pretty much done with HK myself, their 'cheap' shipping option is usually more expensive than expedited from Banggood, which is amazingly fast. <3 DHL :)

sprzout

Knower of useless information
Mentor
HK's done fairly decently for my family...My dad ordered some stuff that ended up coming from Hong Kong and from Portland, down to San Diego; the Hong Kong orders have mostly showed up about 2 weeks after he ordered it (and some stuff is still en route, due to it being on back order when he placed his order; he didn't realize it at the time).

I ordered my Quanum Cyclops V2 headset from them, and got it from Hong Kong in something like a week and a half, which FLOORED me; I had expected a 3 week shipping to get to me! They have improved, that's for sure.

rrc1962

Shipping isn't a problem with them. Overseas time in transit, as with any company, has a lot to do with customs. The same package shipped by the same service can take anywhere from a few days to a few weeks. It's usually on the shorter side. The reason fedex ground from the west coast to the east coast can take longer than overseas is because the overseas shipment is coming by air, and it it sails through customs, it can make it in a couple days. FedEx ground from west to east in 6 days. What gets me is that packages make it from CA to Memphis TN in 2 days, then it takes another 3 days to go the last 70 miles.

My only issue is the quality of their "house" brand electronics. I learned early on that if I wanted one good one, order 2 or 3. Orange receivers for example. Fortunately, they are so cheap that you can order a few and toss the bad ones. Hardly worth the expense to send them back.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
I love this "Cheap" mentality.. Buy 6 USE one instead of spending a few extra dollars and buy a good part from the beginning.The aggravation of having to do something more then once would drive me bonkers.

ECO people ECO.. Cheap is NEVER cheap and when it is its crap.

rrc1962

I usually agree but the price difference between a Spektrum AS3X and an Orange RX3SM is substantial. Go to a non-stablized receiver and the price difference is even more drastic. I'm willing to give them the benefit of doubt for now, but if I keep getting DOA's, that will change. I've only had problems with the receivers. Everything else has been great.

That said, I don't think I'd spend months and hundreds...or thousands...on a plane and install a $5 receiver.

sprzout

Mentor
I usually agree but the price difference between a Spektrum AS3X and an Orange RX3SM is substantial. Go to a non-stablized receiver and the price difference is even more drastic. I'm willing to give them the benefit of doubt for now, but if I keep getting DOA's, that will change. I've only had problems with the receivers. Everything else has been great.

That said, I don't think I'd spend months and hundreds...or thousands...on a plane and install a $5 receiver.

Agreed...But that's part of the reason why I'm using an Orange 6 channel receiver for a foam board build, instead of a $50 6 channel Spektrum receiver - the Orange is 1/5th the price. I can justify it for a scratch built foam board kit because the kit's cheap. If I were building a carbon fiber sailplane that ran me a couple grand? You BET I'm going to buy a more reliable receiver and put that in the plane instead.

At the same time, I am not going to put $5000 custom wheels on a Yugo. :D

Ricci

Posted a thousand or more times
Well i have 10 orange 6 channel receiver and no issues.

Last edited:

sprzout

Mentor
Well i have 1o orange 6 channel receiver and no issues.

Ricci - that's kind of how I hear it. Either people have tons of issues, or the receivers work flawlessly. I'm going to hope that I'm one of the people who has it work flawlessly, and you darned well bet I'm going to do range checks and such before I actually put a plane up in the air!! :)

rrc1962

I haven't tried the non-stabilized Orange receivers, only the RX3SM. So far 1 good one and 2 bad ones. They work but servo motion jittery and inconsistent. I have a couple R615X's coming so we'll see how they go.

JimCR120

Got Lobstah?
Site Moderator
In suspense, FedEx due to arrive tomorrow!

Not sure on HK orders but I do know Lipos can not be shipped by air now. The regulations state they can only be like 35% charge capacity which puts them under the minimum voltage for lipos.

The dock strikes have also been cleared up I believe which was what had been holding many over seas orders and getting things thru customs. This is probably why they got here quicker as well.
I hear ya Bill. I thought I'd be waiting a while but the package from Hong Kong had a charger (just like my other one, now I have 2) and a 500mAH 3S identical to the one I soldered the XT60 connector at FF. I think it was a cargo only flight. I can check the box. I haven't burned it yet. The shipment coming from OR also has LiPo's in it which I suppose is why it's being driven the whole way, boring! On the cheap comment, you have a point but there are also many things that are overpriced and good deals to be had. I consider Lemon Rx another good example of good equipment at a very competitive price. They're all caluated risks. Fortunately we have this forum to share the experiences. I'm not saying I've never had a problem from HK, but this episode seems to be quite positive.

Yeah Sean I was surprised too, doubly so. It was quick even without the LiPo factored in.

Luis, I was ready to buy at ~$180 and then I saw ~$140 and as I was buying it I just knew it was time. Of course that shipment is on time, i.e. still on its way, due tomorrow. So all I can think about is that FedEx truck pulling up into the driveway and getting the big ole box into my hot little hands.:eek: It's last checkpoint was Connecticut.

JimCR120

Got Lobstah?
Site Moderator
On Oct. 20 I made 3 orders. The 1st through Horizon, the 2nd through Hobby King, and the 3rd minutes later just past midnight was to the FT Store.

1st to arrive was... Flite Test and theirs had the most weight (a Twin C pack and a few other items). What a delight to come home from work and see that on the porch. Unfortunately the LiPo pouch was missing so I contacted the store, Jen emailed back that it would be shipped.

2nd to arrive was... Flite Test again with the bag that was missing. Way to go FT Team!

Not a thing yet from HH or HK which is unexpected. Today is Saturday and the mail hasn't arrived yet. Maybe today will be the day.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!