Help! Shipping of Flite Test DIY Airplane Kits

PeterB

Hi everyone.

I'm a Kiwi living in wonderful Samoa. Been into RC for many years and enjoy the fun.

Have been looking into Flite Test DIY Airplanes that use foam board. Keen to try these out but I'm wondering how secure the packaging is for shipment.

I have sent a number of emails to Flite Test but surprisingly, although they replied saying they will get back to me, a couple of weeks have gone and nothing.

The issue is that no one sells foam board in Samoa so if there is some damage during shipment, I cannot replace it here.

Appreciate if you can comment on how DIY airplanes that you may have ordered to countries outside Mainland USA, how they have survived the trip.

Thanks & Regards,
Peter

Dante

When I lived In Ireland two years ago I got my first kit; no damage at all. I can't speak about after their warehouse merge with Amain, but the packaging is still the same so it should be fine. As Samoa is a territory of the US, duty fees should not be a problem, so I say go for it!

Hoomi

Master member
IIRC, the Flite Test facility is in the process of moving, so that may be the reason for the delay in getting a reply out to you.

The number of times I've seen where families or businesses have moved, and found the network connectivity they expected to be ready when they arrived, isn't, FT may be experiencing network down-time at the moment.

PeterB

Hi Dante.

Many thanks for your reply.

Just need to let you know that Samoa is NOT a territory of the US. We are an Independent country since 1962. American Samoa is next to us and is a territory of the US.

Peter

PeterB

Hi Hoomi,

Thanks for the info. The delay in their reply would be understandable with what you have outlined. While I wait to hear from FT, am keen to hear people's experiences with how the packaging holds up.

Peter

Dante

Hi Dante.

Many thanks for your reply.

Just need to let you know that Samoa is NOT a territory of the US. We are an Independent country since 1962. American Samoa is next to us and is a territory of the US.

Peter
I apologize for getting that wrong, I didn't even know Samoa was a country. Whenever I have heard it mentioned I thought it was just a shortening of American Samoa's name. Thanks for educating me!

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
I apologize for getting that wrong, I didn't even know Samoa was a country. Whenever I have heard it mentioned I thought it was just a shortening of American Samoa's name. Thanks for educating me!
Truth be told, I did not know, either. I have also been educated. Thank you PeterB. We learn something new every day, or we are doing it wrong. ;)

PeterB

Hi all.

It doesn't do any harm not to know everything. I am a member of other RC forums and it saddens me that too many others say bad things about others or what their comments are.

Been in Samoa 20+ years now. Was controlled by Imperial Germany before WW1 then run by New Zealand until independence in 1962. Was called Western Samoa to distinguish it against American Samoa which has been a territory of USA since about 1900. American Samoa has about 50K and Samoa has about 200K people.

No hobby shop or RC club here. Learnt flying on my own. I fly at Robert Louis Stevenson Museum after they close. Attached a pic. Lovely place and lovely people there that allow me to use their grounds to fly. Not heaps of airspace but enough to enjoy.

Robert Louis Stevenson lived and died here late 19th century. This was his house. He championed Samoan self-determination before any others did and so is regarded as a hero here. He wrote Kidnapped, Treasure Island, Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde among others.

There is a website for the Museum so anyone who happens to visit Samoa, you would enjoy having a look there.

www.rlsmuseum.org

Peter

Attachments

• IMG_1368.JPG
    IMG_1368.JPG
    131.2 KB · Views: 0

mayan

Legendary member
You kidding me that's a dream place to fly in. And thanks for the history lesson I have learned something new.

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
I'm wondering how secure the packaging is for shipment.
Everything I have ordered from FT has come well packed in a cardboard box.

There are may types of foam that will work to build planes from. Here in the US, we use foam board because its cheap and widely available. Foam board, it's not very strong, the strength comes from the shape created by building the plane. Almost any thin flat material will have the similar properties. You could easily build a plane from the cardboard box FT used to ship the kit. In fact, that's what they did with the FT Pizza Box Plane.

Who knew that a pizza company would send a free airplane kit with purchase of a pizza.
Just use what you have on hand.

Last edited: