short flight time?

I have a simple scout with a Gens Soaring 1300Mah 30C an i got only about 3 minutes flight time?
Also when i flew the plane just crashed, the motor and rudders doesnt respond atall could the esc have been overheated?
Thanks!

JasonK

Participation Award Recipient
I have a simple scout with a Gens Soaring 1300Mah 30C an i got only about 3 minutes flight time?
Also when i flew the plane just crashed, the motor and rudders doesnt respond atall could the esc have been overheated?
Thanks!

What motor/prop did you have on it?
What did your battery checker say about the charge level of the battery after it crashed?
have you checked the ESC/etc with a different battery?

What motor/prop did you have on it?
What did your battery checker say about the charge level of the battery after it crashed?
have you checked the ESC/etc with a different battery?
i have an BR 2212 1000kv after the crash i had 3,85 on each cell. yeah i have checked it.
i use an 1045R prop

JasonK

i have an BR 2212 1000kv after the crash i had 3,85 on each cell. yeah i have checked it.
If your voltage was that high right afterwords, it was probably one of the following:
- ESC overheated and did thermal shut down
- some power wire broke
- receiver went out/broke

you would want to systematically check each part to see if it is still functioning.

Yeah everything works on the ground here! But in the instruction on the scout there is no air intake for the esc?
i also fly my tiny trainer with an 3s 450mah and i got wery short flight times there aswell

JasonK

Yeah everything works on the ground here! But in the instruction on the scout there is no air intake for the esc?
i also fly my tiny trainer with an 3s 450mah and i got wery short flight times there aswell

The FT ESC/motor might be able to handle the situation ok and the ESC your using might not... if Everything didn't work right at landing, but worked after it cooled off and you refitted all the wires... you had a loose wire or overheated ESC.

I get set my timer to 5 minutes on the TT with 3s 650mAh on an A pack... unless I fly really lightly. So getting fairly short flights on the 540mAh battery isn't surprising to me.

Ketchup

4s mini mustang
i use an 1045R prop
What ESC are you using, and which way is the motor spinning? The R after 1045 means that it is a reverse prop, so if the prop is backwards or something it could be very inefficient.

As long as the numbers are forwards you are good. The ESC is pretty big and shouldn't be overloading or anything.
How old are your batteries and how much are you charging them?
My batteries is about one week old, and i charge them balance charge 1,3 amp on the 1300mah battery
Iam new to electric i use to fly nitro planes before!

Ketchup

4s mini mustang
My batteries is about one week old, and i charge them balance charge 1,3 amp on the 1300mah battery
my new to electric i use to fly nitro planes before!
Ok, so your batteries should be fine, but I meant what voltage are you charging them to, not how fast you charge them. The charge amperage is only how fast they are being charged, not how much they are being charged (that is better told by the voltage).

Ketchup

4s mini mustang
I'm asking because having such a short flight time is very odd, and I'm thinking that maybe the lipo isn't getting fully charged. It should be charged to 4.2 volts per cell at full.

Ketchup

4s mini mustang
but if i take balance charge they soud be fully charged right?
Balance charge just means that all the cells will be equally charged, it doesn't mean that they will all be fully charged. I would recommend looking through all of your charger settings and reading up a bit on lipos and lipo safety.

Balance charge just means that all the cells will be equally charged, it doesn't mean that they will all be fully charged. I would recommend looking through all of your charger settings and reading up a bit on lipos and lipo safety.
maybe i have misunderstood this? On my charger i have under lipos 11.3v=3S and i choose balance so i have just balanced the cells not charged the whole battery? what a bummer!

JasonK

maybe i have misunderstood this? On my charger i have under lipos 11.3v=3S and i choose balance so i have just balanced the cells not charged the whole battery? what a bummer!

my charger fully charged the lipo when on the balance setting, just check the battery after you charge it next to verify

Aviator936

it could have been a voltage drop. you cant tell when they are going to happen unless you use a battery checker in the sky. when it beeps at you you must land otherwise you could have a brown out which is what seems to have happened here. its what happens when the voltage drops too low for the transmitter to pick up and you lose signal.

boogieloo

Thanks!
wow. I had the same battery. It never left the table. Twin ESC engines and 4 servos working. But the engine did not start. Then it finally went off. The receiver and the battery is now dead. Only the battery is dead. The receiver is still good. I think. The engine didn't go on, so the battery went dead instead. I need a new battery for a single engine and 2 servos now on it. Fixed landing gear. But the weight of the airplane should turn the airplane on the ground. Neat.

This will be my first airplane maiden flight. It looks not bad. 3.2 ibs. I made the landing gear myself. So it is fixed. But when the motor starts up, the single engine should turn the airplane. 32" length x 43" wing tip to wing tip. I'll try to get it on. I think I can put a covering on to make it sturdier or nicer. See picture. O wait...

Last edited: