Shorted out my first lipo

basslord1124

Master member
All right so last night while it was late I was checking out my 2S 800Mah lipo. Just did a battery voltage and IR check with my charger, I figured I'd actually charge it the next day. Well after I did that and powered everything down, I did the dumb thing of unplugging the battery from the charger using just the charger leads. When I did that the charger leads dangled and ended up touching. I saw a spark that lasted for probably a second or less. BUT the leads then were dangling off the table to where I couldn't see them and could've possibly touched another short time or two. I can't confirm this though.

I did try a brief balance charge after this. It was charging but did seem a little sluggish. Of course, I also hadn't used the battery in quite a while too. Anybody have any similar experiences? If so, what were the results?

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
I whacked a balance connector with a prop on a fully charged 5s battery.

MUCH drama when the sparks fly but the adreneline REALLY kicks inwhen the wires start welding themselves together.

It was fun trying to unplug tbe quad at the same time trying to keep three wires from getting really friendly.

Check internal resistance again. If that is still close charge it and use it. If it comes down with cell variances too far apart then retire it to low current draw duties or drain it down and dispose if it.

If you only made a few sparks it should be ok. If it started welding or melting your charge wires Id be a little caucious.

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
I have had charging leads touch just as you described. Now I make sure to unplug the battery first, before I disconnect the leads from the charger. Hopefully you did not damage the battery, I would keep a close eye on it for the next few cycles.

cranialrectosis

Faster than a speeding face plant!
Mentor
An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

If the lipo was below 3V per cell due to not having been used "in quite a while" or if the short dropped the lipo below 3V per cell, it won't likely ever recover and may be hazardous. In which case, the reward for using this lipo is non-existent.

I don't know if that happened. Your lipo may be just fine. Only you can decide...unless the lipo decides for you.

"You got to know when to hold 'em. Know when to fold 'em. Know when to walk away and know when to run." -Rodgers

MUCH drama when the sparks fly but the adreneline REALLY kicks inwhen the wires start welding themselves together.

This is so right.

What @PsyBorg didn't mention is how that smell lingers for days or how that scorch mark on the desktop reminds you just how close to stupid things got. To be clear, @PsyBorg's advice is spot on.

I have my stupid scorch mark and my wife remembers that stink from my basement shop to this day. I have decided to not repeat the lesson and not risk much more than pride, foam or some electronics. YMMV :)

basslord1124

Master member
Thanks for the replies. Yeah I am going to keep a close eye on it.

I can't imagine the feeling of watching things go south quickly. :eek:

I've got both this battery and my slightly dented one in a separate "time out" ammo box so I can keep them separate from the good batteries. Plan on charging them and watching them from safer areas away from the inside of my home and my wife and young baby daughter.

@cranialrectosis ...this battery has really never been used. I bought it to use for some minis that still need to be built. So it's basically sat...I would check it periodically and keep it at storage level. Cells were 3.8V when the incident happened.

slembcke

Yup... I did this with a parallel charging board once. Plugged the balance lead for a pair of 65C 1800 mah batteries in to the 5s connector and over by a pin. Instantly melted half of the balance traces off the board. Battery was fine after replacing the (very slightly) melted plastic on the balance connector, but I don't parallel charge anymore... Buy a multiport charger if you want faster charging. o_O

sprzout

Knower of useless information
Mentor
Yup... I did this with a parallel charging board once. Plugged the balance lead for a pair of 65C 1800 mah batteries in to the 5s connector and over by a pin. Instantly melted half of the balance traces off the board. Battery was fine after replacing the (very slightly) melted plastic on the balance connector, but I don't parallel charge anymore... Buy a multiport charger if you want faster charging. o_O

Parallel charging has always made me a little nervous, even when I do my 1s batteries for my micro drones. I'm always afraid I'll melt a battery plug, or overcharge everything connected to the charging board...Better to have the multiport charger. :)

Mr. Gandalf

Elite member
One time I soldered the balance plug on backwards to a little 300mah 2s, unfortunately I didn't realize it until I fried a perfectly good ESC by plugging that battery into it. :poop: