Should I get the Turnigy 9X or 9XR?

vic88my

In Time Out
I wish I could tell you how hard the firmware is to update. I was too nervous to try it myself, honestly. I'm surprised no one on here has posted up first-hand experience.

So, the final step of 9X to beat 9XR completely is ER9X upgrade ? There are many youtube videos showing the methods, going to watch it later, what else besides these 1. BL 2. ER9X ?

earthsciteach

Upgrading to a LiFe battery is a nice convenience. It holds a charge for a LONG time and beats the heck out of replacing AA's.

Tritium

Amateur Extra Class K5TWM
Unless you add a Smartiparts board (adds a usb port) for flashing then it can be a hassle soldering directly to chips in the controller. There are forum members here who have flashed it without the permanently installed board that can better advise actions required.
If I had not already modified my 9X then I would just get the 9XR and be done with it.

And the Taranis is 4 times the price BUT it is COMPLETE and ready to go. The 9XR has no xmit module a 9X comes either way. Count on more like $100 after shipping for a stock unit that is RTF. BTY I have nearly $200 in my 9X after the modifications.

Thurmond

vic88my

In Time Out
What ? USD200 spent on 9X for modification ? a backlight only costs usd4.99, a ER9X usb programmer only cost usd5, or usd36 for smartiepart no solder solution , I won't spend more than usd100 for a tx like tanaris, so it is out of my choice.

Now the question is final conclusion: 9X or 9XR ? IF 9XR has REALLY got MAJOR DESIGN PROBLEM, then I will buy 9x and modify it as above,. PLEASE : Mature, fair view, and unbiased opinions only.

thank you

Regards,
Victor Lee(CPA, MNCC)
Chartered Accountant

Last edited:

earthsciteach

As Thurmond said, the 9XR does not come with a transmitter module. So, by the time you buy that, you've doubled the cost of the TX. The 9x has a module and it works fine. So, it will have you in the air for half of what you'd pay for the 9XR. You'll more than likely want to upgrade the 9x at some point, which will mean a new module. Why? Because the FrSky modules are really solid. I've had brown out issues with the stock Turnigy module. Also, the RX antennas break pretty easily. They are repairable, but it gets a bit old after a while. That's not to say the 9x is crap - not at all! Just something to be aware of.

I figure I have somewhere between $150-$200 in my 9x total with the upgrades you are talking about and the FrSky module. But, I spread that out over time.

vic88my

In Time Out
Frsky module is usd25.45 , Frsky D8R II plus is usd24.52, totalled about usd50.00 only, not a problem,
now the issue I am talking about is : THE TRANSMITTER ITSELF. That is the most important, 9X or 9XR ?

PLEASE : Mature, fair view, no hiding, and unbiased opinions only.

thank you

Regards,
Victor Lee(CPA, MNCC)
Chartered Accountant

FlyingMonkey

Bought Another Trailer
Staff member
Admin
Frsky module is usd25.45 , Frsky D8R II plus is usd24.52, totalled about usd50.00 only, not a problem,
now the issue I am talking about is : THE TRANSMITTER ITSELF. That is the most important, 9X or 9XR ?

thank you

Regards,
Victor Lee(CPA, MNCC)
Chartered Accountant

What answer do you WANT?

I've seen several suggestions, there seems to be a leaning towards the 9XR, but you keep giving objections and suggesting the 9X can be as good as the 9XR.

It looks like you've made up your mind and you want the people here to agree with your decision.

Buy the 9X.

lobstermash

Propaganda machine
Mentor
People don't have biases. They have opinions based on what they have and/or what they perceive the other is like. A tx is an individual thing - one person might think one tx feels weird, the other thinks it's great. These two radios are the same basic product. Just buy one and live with the decision. You could spend months debating over whether a slight differences will affect your experience of the hobby, or you could just fly and enjoy it.

vic88my

In Time Out
Flying monkey and lobstermash, cool down, maybe due to my profession I am more inquisitive,AND I have some bad experience buying a lot new but crappy products and piled up in my store room, so this time I am more cautious. sorry for that.

Victor Lee(CPA, MNCC)
Chartered Accountant

FlyingMonkey

Bought Another Trailer
Staff member
Admin
So, to all users who bought 9X or 9XR, please come to a conclusion : which is better OVERALL, 9X or 9XR ?
why ?

For 9XR, is the design too counterintuitive and not ergonomic to use ?

If 9X can be tweaked easily, does it mean it will over win 9XR overall ?

I noticed that some users are ambiguous and cannot judge in macro view of brainstorming,

clear your mindset and come to a conclusion : if you have USD50, which one will you choose - 9X or 9XR ?

Please give a fair and objective view. I am going to choose between these 2.

Thank you

Victor(CPA,MNCC)

How much does it take to upgrade 9X to 9XR ? any consequences ? will it damage the tx ? easy or difficult ?

What is the point of buying 9XR if it is not ergonomic, a pain to use physically ?

Though I don't know to what extent as how terrible the product design is, slightly ? very bad ? ....

Yes, the reviews are unfavorable towards 9XR designs, too many, the only way is to upgrade 9X to 9XR, but the question is, tough or not ? any consequences ?

1. upgrade firmware to 9XR
2. upgrade backlight., how ?
3. what else of 9XR not found in 9X ?

thanks

Victor

So, the conclusion is :
We should get Turnigy 9X instead of 9XR, then, add backlight( USD4.99) and flash ER9X ( how much work ? ) to Turnigy 9X ?
Besides the above difference, all other features of 9XR can be found on 9X ?

I have been on RC cars for 30 years, I can conclude to you all that some China transmitters like HL
madtruck is a total crap, I have a lot of China models, some are good, some are totally crappy with no quality feel, like sharp finger cutting edges, sloppy wheel control, poor quality plastic casing, it is a pain to hold and use the Tx, just like holding a toy, WTF, so, you have to be very careful when buying china products, some are ok, the others are just a waste of money, I have a lot of China RC car transmitters, just dump in the store room never used.

So, I don't know to what extend how bad the quality of 9XR Tx physically, please no biased opinion here,

Our target is Turnigy 9X or 9XR. FrSky Taranis is 4 times the price. Very few people will need a 16 channel Tx- Unrealistic and just a gimmick.

Victor Lee(CPA,MNCC)
Chartered Accountant

Thanks all. China RC car transmitters like HL madtruck is a total crap, tx feels like a toy and not solid at all. I can say honestly.
Esky CP2 transmitter EK 0406 is ok, but, quite bulky and heavy, after holding it for 20 min in hand, my hand just feel tired, fingers numb, and, it is slippery feel, that makes me lose confidence in some china products,

That is why I always emphasize on ergonomics, so the manufacturers, even if you won't come out with a better one, don't make it worse.

I am a RC hobbyist for my past time though I am a numbers crunchers for my profession, it balanced out a hard day of work,
I have moderate electronics skills but if it is too complicated then I will give up on 9X. ( UNLESS : 9X is much better than 9XR after upgrading and won't pose any upgrading side effects, then I will stick to 9X no matter what )

ps : adding backlight is cheap and easy, change module just solder off the ori wire, easy too, update firmware, unknown, easy or difficult ? What else need to modify ?

Thanks a lot buddies !

Regards,
Victor Lee(CPA,MNCC)
Chartered Accountant

So, the final step of 9X to beat 9XR completely is ER9X upgrade ? There are many youtube videos showing the methods, going to watch it later, what else besides these 1. BL 2. ER9X ?

What ? USD200 spent on 9X for modification ? a backlight only costs usd4.99, a ER9X usb programmer only cost usd5, or usd36 for smartiepart no solder solution , I won't spend more than usd100 for a tx like tanaris, so it is out of my choice.

Now the question is final conclusion: 9X or 9XR ? IF 9XR has REALLY got MAJOR DESIGN PROBLEM, then I will buy 9x and modify it as above,. PLEASE : Mature, fair view, and unbiased opinions only.

thank you

Regards,
Victor Lee(CPA, MNCC)
Chartered Accountant

thank you

Regards,
Victor Lee(CPA, MNCC)
Chartered Accountant

Flying monkey and lobstermash, cool down, maybe due to my profession I am more inquisitive,AND I have some bad experience buying a lot new but crappy products and piled up in my store room, so this time I am more cautious. sorry for that.

Victor Lee(CPA, MNCC)
Chartered Accountant

Calm down? Sir, you have a total of 9 posts on the forum. 8 of them ask the same question in varying forms.

If I see this statement from you again, you will be banned for trolling. You have received many good, patient responses, and you insult the people here by suggesting that they are neither mature, fair, honest, or unbiased.

I am a fairly calm person by nature, but I will not tolerate disrespect of the helpful and generous members of this forum.

As to your use of the word "conclusion".

37878547.jpg

vic88my

In Time Out
Flying monkey, this is a forum for brainstorming, not for you to show your vulgarness and intimidation skills, please don't lower the codes of etiquette for RC hobbyists and showing bad examples to them.

earthsciteach

Vic - We are all inquisitive people. Its our nature.
You aren't going to get a definitive answer as asking people of their opinions of transmitters is a very loaded question. Everyone has strong, often biased opinions. Many would never consider buying a "cheap" radio and opt for high end JR radios, Futabas, etc. Most people on this forum and have more of a DIY mindset, so embrace something they can modify and improve themselves for far less money.

In the end, you'll have to weigh the info and make your own decision. There is no clear-cut answer.

FlyingMonkey

Bought Another Trailer
Staff member
Admin
Flying monkey, this is a forum for brainstorming, not for you to show your vulgarness and intimidation skills, please don't lower the codes of etiquette for RC hobbyists and showing bad examples to them.

You're absolutely right. This is a place for sharing information, respecting other people's opinions, and up until now, has been unblemished by troll like activity.

Thank you for serving as an example of what will not be allowed on the forum.

Tritium

Amateur Extra Class K5TWM
vic88my please direct your angst to RCGroups.com ;) Not only is it welcomed there sometimes I think it is encouraged/required.:mad:

Thurmond

Last edited:

lobstermash

Propaganda machine
Mentor
vic88my please direct your angst to RCGroups.com ;) Not only is it welcomed there sometimes I think it is encouraged/required.:mad:

Thurmond

If you think RCG is bad, you should see the HK forums...

@vic88my, I stand by my earlier recommendation to not worry about which on to buy. Flip a coin. Both transmitters are the same equipment with only subtle differences. If you get a 9XR and don't like it, I'm happy to swap one of my flashed, backlit 9Xs with you.

PaulT

Mentor
Ham_Sammiches - Hope this "discussion" has answered your questions

I converted the 9x to er9x with the smartieparts board.
Very easy and a satisfying project when it was completed.
I prefer using it to my DX6i, in fact.

Vic88my - Don't buy the 9x and don't convert it to the er9x.
This is not a job for an accountant.
Buy the 9XR instead.

Paul T

martin mcfly

Ok, I have the 9XR, below are the marks :

1. appearance = 9.5/10
2. built quality = 9/10
3. ergonomics = 8/10
4. handle bar = 7/10 ( less 3 marks for wouldn't able to lie stable on the back and bulky )
5. switch placement = 7/10 ( less 3 marks for too high )
6. ease of use = 9/10 ( after convert to ER9X and USB AVR port included, nice location of buddy port )
7. back light = 9/10 ( very good, can adjust on/off time and contrast, easy to see )

I think this is more understandable as for the decision making and comparison.

I do not have 9X, how is this tx ? thanks.

marcus

Last edited: