Should I get the Turnigy 9X or 9XR?

IBeHoey

The Warranty Voider
I do not have 9X, how is this tx ? thanks.

marcus

Absolutely LOVE mine, but a lot of that love is the direct result of all the hardwork/modifications that I've done to it. I get just as much joy working on/hacking/modifying this transmitter as I do building/flying my models. :D

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
Absolutely LOVE mine, but a lot of that love is the direct result of all the hardwork/modifications that I've done to it. I get just as much joy working on/hacking/modifying this transmitter as I do building/flying my models. :D
I'll second that! I put the Frsky telemetry module in mine (along with a number of other mods), and now have the telemetry data right on the Tx LCD screen, no add on screen needed to display it. Plus the FW is open source, so chances are good you can find some that fits exactly what you need.

martin mcfly

I'll second that! I put the Frsky telemetry module in mine (along with a number of other mods), and now have the telemetry data right on the Tx LCD screen, no add on screen needed to display it. Plus the FW is open source, so chances are good you can find some that fits exactly what you need.

9XR has a good features, backlight + on off time duration selection, good buddy code location, existing AVR programming port, and have a glossy gorgeous look,

I have got 9xr, I thought of buying another tx - 9x, just that I don't like to keep the backlight constant on, 9XR is very flexible- can control the backlight well,

yeah, forget to ask, how is 9x stock receiver ? I may buy it for range within 1 km, is the stock receiver signal stable ? thanks.

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
9XR has a good features, backlight + on off time duration selection, good buddy code location, existing AVR programming port, and have a glossy gorgeous look,

I have got 9xr, I thought of buying another tx - 9x, just that I don't like to keep the backlight constant on, 9XR is very flexible- can control the backlight well,

yeah, forget to ask, how is 9x stock receiver ? I may buy it for range within 1 km, is the stock receiver signal stable ? thanks.
Backlight is one of the mods I did, so on my 9X it's always on. I may be mistaken but I thought there was something in the FW to control that but it's never been an issue for me since I like to keep it on all the time(I am prone to leave my Tx on, the backlight lets me know I'm an idiot right away!)
Never tried the stock Rx, they were out of that option when I ordered. Since I was planning on going right to Frsky it wasn't an issue, but I did miss out on a spare module and Rx...

martin mcfly

Indeed, I set the backlight on 5 seconds for 9XR , it is really eye painful during programming stage when looking at the ultrabright sreen for 1 hour plus.. dry eyes syndrome..

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
I see what you mean. For the monster programming, I usually use the computer then flash it to the Tx. Less eyestrain that way. Plus I did the blue backlight, seemed to be less bright but still has nice contrast. At least in the pictures...

martin mcfly

You mean we can do all the parameters and set ups on PC then flash to transmitters ? what about trimming etc ? we have to do them on the field and workshop too...

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
Trims are always set using the Tx. The computer is pretty much good for mixes or other types of more complex setups. Such as, with my Hex, I just changed the board to a multiwii pro but run megapirate FW on it which has the same flight modes as the ardupilot...I can set up the 3 position switch in conjunction with another switch to give me access to all 6 flight modes(not that I've gotten that far with the new board yet). Or say you have a full house sailplane; airbrakes, reflex, flaperons, crow, etc. That would take quite awhile doing that programming on the Tx alone. It's just easier to do it on the computer and then tweak in the Tx so it all works the way you expect it to once you're done and have your model powered up. You can even find ready-made setups to use as a starting point, another bonus of open source. You may already know most of this since you have the 9XR.

martin mcfly

Thanks a lot, great explanation, I just received my 9XR yesterday from HK. I plan to buy APM 2.5, for my quadcopter ST360, using arducopter, and flash 9XR with ER9X. Are there any existing setups can be flashed to 9XR straight away so that I don't have to trim/set up on pc/tx ? thanks

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
My understanding is the software/FW on these Tx's is the same so here is a good place to start.
I know it's a Wiki, but it's actually pretty good...

martin mcfly

Trims are always set using the Tx. The computer is pretty much good for mixes or other types of more complex setups. Such as, with my Hex, I just changed the board to a multiwii pro but run megapirate FW on it which has the same flight modes as the ardupilot...I can set up the 3 position switch in conjunction with another switch to give me access to all 6 flight modes(not that I've gotten that far with the new board yet). Or say you have a full house sailplane; airbrakes, reflex, flaperons, crow, etc. That would take quite awhile doing that programming on the Tx alone. It's just easier to do it on the computer and then tweak in the Tx so it all works the way you expect it to once you're done and have your model powered up. You can even find ready-made setups to use as a starting point, another bonus of open source. You may already know most of this since you have the 9XR.

Thanks.
1. What software do we use for testing the parameters on PC ? Flight simulator ?
2. What software do we need to flash and tweak the parameters and set ups ?

thanks, I was using traditional manual controls so far, going for autopilot / automation sort of things.

Martin

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
eePe is used to flash firmware, memory or even change the splash screen on start up, if you have it activated. The eePe interface also has a simulate option under the file tab.

IBeHoey

The Warranty Voider
Backlight is one of the mods I did, so on my 9X it's always on. I may be mistaken but I thought there was something in the FW to control that but it's never been an issue for me since I like to keep it on all the time(I am prone to leave my Tx on, the backlight lets me know I'm an idiot right away!)
Never tried the stock Rx, they were out of that option when I ordered. Since I was planning on going right to Frsky it wasn't an issue, but I did miss out on a spare module and Rx...
Hey xuzme, when you did your backlight mod, did you wire in a transistor and run it to a pin on the ATMega? Once you do that, you can then toggle the backlight on/off via an assignable switch and/or timer.

The stock Rx isn't bad, I've used it on a few foamies and, it being 8ch, can sometimes come in handy for those oddball projects. My favorite compatible receiver to use with the stock setup is the 6ch hk-t6a-v2 sold by hobbyking. I've got a handful of those that I use on everything including my Ft Baby Blender and, soon to be flying FT Spitfire. That being said, I don't think I could trust the stock system with anything big or expensive. The complete lack of any failsafe feature really makes me nervous, almost lost a quad once because of it.

eePe is used to flash firmware, memory or even change the splash screen on start up, if you have it activated. The eePe interface also has a simulate option under the file tab.

Dude, you need to check out 9xcompanion. I'd post some links but I'm working from a phone. But, yeah, it's awesome. It does everything eePe does but a ton more and for every flavor of firmware available for the 9x. Just remember to dump and save a copy of your firmware and eeprom first.

Last edited:

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
Hey xuzme, when you did your backlight mod, did you wire in a transistor and run it to a pin on the ATMega? Once you do that, you can then toggle the backlight on/off via an assignable switch and/or timer.
No, I have the smartieparts board so mine was plug and play, but like I mentioned, I prefer the backlight always on. Makes the old addled brain notice when I leave the radio on!

The stock Rx isn't bad, I've used it on a few foamies and, it being 8ch, can sometimes come in handy for those oddball projects. My favorite compatible receiver to use with the stock setup is the 6ch hk-t6a-v2 sold by hobbyking. I've got a handful of those that I use on everything including my Ft Baby Blender and, soon to be flying FT Spitfire. That being said, I don't think I could trust the stock system with anything big or expensive. The complete lack of any failsafe feature really makes me nervous, almost lost a quad once because of it.
One of the prime reasons I went right to the Frsky. Failsafe programming on all channels and it's so easy to set.

Dude, you need to check out 9xcompanion. I'd post some links but I'm working from a phone. But, yeah, it's awesome. It does everything eePe does but a ton more and for every flavor of firmware available for the 9x. Just remember to dump and save a copy of your firmware and eeprom first.
I will most certainly check that out. When I was doing my mods, eePe was the only thing I saw and to be honest, it's been working well, so I never looked further. Too busy building/modifying my multi's...there's just never enough time, is there?

IBeHoey

The Warranty Voider
No, I have the smartieparts board so mine was plug and play, but like I mentioned, I prefer the backlight always on. Makes the old addled brain notice when I leave the radio on!

One of the prime reasons I went right to the Frsky. Failsafe programming on all channels and it's so easy to set.

I will most certainly check that out. When I was doing my mods, eePe was the only thing I saw and to be honest, it's been working well, so I never looked further. Too busy building/modifying my multi's...there's just never enough time, is there?

Heh yeah, I hear that. I'm also notorious for walking off and leaving my Tx on so I see your point. I had originally planned to just leave mine on as well but that was before I started flying at night. That blue screen is just the right brightness during the day but man, it's almost too distracting at night.

That FrSky system is nice, I don't have too many flights on it yet but I'm already spoiled to it. That runaway quad incident I had on the stock system was a huge setback me. I didn't have the cash at the time for the FrSky system so my quad just had to sit in the corner. By this time though, multiwii 2.2 was released and one of the improvements it made was the failsafe system. In previous versions, the failsafe would only monitor the throttle signal, and since the stock setup only retains the last signal received in the event of signal loss, it would never trigger. The new code fixed this (i belive by monitoring all of the channels) so now the failsafe would trigger and I could go back to tinkering with my quad. :D

Like yourself, I had always used eePe up until about a week ago when I was trying out the OpenTx FW :cough:give it a try:cough: :p but yeah, you're right, there's never enough time. Ateast in Texas, you've got year round flying weather.

I've been meaning to ask you, what FrSky receiver are you using with telemetry? If it's the d8r-ii+, have you been able to get the megapirate firmware to send back other parameters (altitude, speed, ect) to your 9x via the receivers RX input? I've been stuck on this now for over a week. In the APM_config, there's an option to set s1 to FrSky OSD, and then connect TX1 to the RX pin on the FrSky receiver via a TTL inverter. I just can't get it to work.

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
Heh yeah, I hear that. I'm also notorious for walking off and leaving my Tx on so I see your point. I had originally planned to just leave mine on as well but that was before I started flying at night. That blue screen is just the right brightness during the day but man, it's almost too distracting at night.
I'm not doing any real night flying, well, not in the deep dark anyway, so it has not been any trouble so far...

That FrSky system is nice, I don't have too many flights on it yet but I'm already spoiled to it. That runaway quad incident I had on the stock system was a huge setback me. I didn't have the cash at the time for the FrSky system so my quad just had to sit in the corner. By this time though, multiwii 2.2 was released and one of the improvements it made was the failsafe system. In previous versions, the failsafe would only monitor the throttle signal, and since the stock setup only retains the last signal received in the event of signal loss, it would never trigger. The new code fixed this (i belive by monitoring all of the channels) so now the failsafe would trigger and I could go back to tinkering with my quad. :D
I've just been using the failsafe on the receiver and not on the board. I actually need to reset that since it's still set for the KK2 board! :/ I've only had the multiwii board about a week, at least in the copter anyway, and most of that time has been spent trying to get smoother flights on the settings and getting rid of the damn jello. It is becoming my nemesis!

Like yourself, I had always used eePe up until about a week ago when I was trying out the OpenTx FW :cough:give it a try:cough: :p but yeah, you're right, there's never enough time. Ateast in Texas, you've got year round flying weather.
I did DL and take a look at that today. Interface is pretty close to eePe, but I'm not really surprised. I does look like it's got some nice features, too.

Temperature-wise, but it's been pretty windy here lately, seems like every day. I still try to get out and fly something though when I can. I'm not complaining though. I've seen what some pilots have to put up with!

I've been meaning to ask you, what FrSky receiver are you using with telemetry? If it's the d8r-ii+, have you been able to get the megapirate firmware to send back other parameters (altitude, speed, ect) to your 9x via the receivers RX input? I've been stuck on this now for over a week. In the APM_config, there's an option to set s1 to FrSky OSD, and then connect TX1 to the RX pin on the FrSky receiver via a TTL inverter. I just can't get it to work.
It is the D8R-II+, but I was only using the Frsky sensors so far since I don't have the flight batt hooked into the board except through the ESC. I plan on getting the Frsky sensors back on it and all the rest of the gear, once I get more comfortable with the board and it's features and using more of the boards/FW's features. I really haven't been doing much with it except walking it around, well, I was walking along with it while it flew, but close in low-and-slow...
I know, not much help... Sorry about that.

martin mcfly

Receiver failsafe

I will purchase stock 9x, you mean that if the control board got failsafe, can we still use the stock 9x receiver which has no failsafe ? Does APM 2.5 has these features ? Do I still need to purchase a receiver with failsafe ? Stock 9x has no failsafe, I won't be buying new receiver, cos, my flight range is within 1km, can i use APM 2.5 failsafe as compensation for the missing failsafe in 9x rx ? I am on budget.. thank you.

thanks.

sincerely,
martin

Last edited:

martin mcfly

Turnigy 9x and APM 2.5

Do we need to connect the APM 2.5 board to PC when using 9x for trimming and parameters testing with mission planner ? thank you.

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
Sorry, I've been out of town for work and haven't been keeping up with the forum. I don't know yet as I haven't gotten that far into the programming. I use the computer for setting up more complex mixing/programming on the 9X and I use the computer for setting parameters through mission planner also. Fail-safes are set, on my setup, through the Frsky module and Rx.

martin mcfly

Sorry, I've been out of town for work and haven't been keeping up with the forum. I don't know yet as I haven't gotten that far into the programming. I use the computer for setting up more complex mixing/programming on the 9X and I use the computer for setting parameters through mission planner also. Fail-safes are set, on my setup, through the Frsky module and Rx.

thanks.. my flight range only 400m max ( across park ), so I don't need Frsky, problem, stock 9x rx able to set failsafe ?

martin