Should I get this Spitfire seaplane?

SprncerT

Hi!!! I’m on the prowl for a new plane. I love seaplanes and warbirds, so a combination is right up my alley. I found the Dynam spitfire with floats. I like the model but would like to spend a little less than the $217 that they charge on Ebay. I just found one for sale for $145 on a website...(https://hobbyforless.com/dynam-supermarine-spitfire-mk-vb-1200mm-seaplane-pnp.html).

The cheap price leads me to believe that the website may not be safe to purchase from. They do accept PayPal though, which is a good sign. What do you guys think. Please help!!!!

Paracodespoder

Elite member
Welcome to the forums!
Looks safe to me, do a little research on them first. Look up their website name and see if anyone has said anything about them. But before that, tell us a little bit about yourself. Can you fly? (If not that plane isn’t going to be a good beginner friendly plane). If so what do you fly?

SprncerT

Welcome to the forums!
Looks safe to me, do a little research on them first. Look up their website name and see if anyone has said anything about them. But before that, tell us a little bit about yourself. Can you fly? (If not that plane isn’t going to be a good beginner friendly plane). If so what do you fly?

Well I’m in high school and just picked up flying again. When I was 10 I got my first plane. It was a UMX spacewalker. I flew it until it couldn’t fly anymore. After taking a break I now have an Eflite commander and UMX Gee Bee R2. I’ve flown both and only had one accident on landing due to the ground being too soft. I am still suspicious of the website. Nobody seems to have purchased from them and none of there products have reviews. The spitfire might be a model for the future. I’m now considering a Dynam Catalina. I get a lot of snow where I live, so that should be fun. I also live close to a lake that’s surrounded by tall trees so there is very little wind.

Last edited:

Paracodespoder

Elite member
Well I’m in high school and just picked up flying again. When I was 10 I got my first plane. It was a UMX spacewalker. I flew it until it couldn’t fly anymore. After taking a break I now have an Eflite commander and UMX Gee Bee R2. I’ve flown both and only had one accident on landing due to the ground being too soft. I am still suspicious of the website. Nobody seems to have purchased from them and none of there products have reviews. The spitfire might be a model for the future. I’m now considering a Dynam Catalina. I get a lot of snow where I live, so that should have be fun.
Good point, I didn't see any reviews on the planes I viewed, and I had never seen that site before now 🤨. It does seem fishy.[/QUOTE][/QUOTE]

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
I have a number of Dynam planes and whilst they are brilliant quality their assembly can sometimes be particularly poor. My last Dynam a FW190 A8 flies beautifully and handles superbly especially on landings BUT the linkage stoppers were the wrong size for the holes in the servo arms and I had to muck around unnecessarily, (in my mind), to actually get the plane ready for its maiden.

When thinking of a Dynam you may need to do some extra work apart from basic assembly before it is safe to fly. The documentation was/is normally superb as is the parts availability though so far I have avoided the need for replacement parts. Actually my FW190 came with a spare prop straight out of the box. (Haven't need it yet)!

Yes my Dynams were also lower in cost than the oppositions product but they often come with a little extra annoyance. If you do not mind actually tinkering to make it work properly then by all means buy it!

I love my Dynams just a little distressed at how poor factory assembly has let them down!

Have fun!

Paracodespoder

Elite member
I have a number of Dynam planes and whilst they are brilliant quality their assembly can sometimes be particularly poor. My last Dynam a FW190 A8 flies beautifully and handles superbly especially on landings BUT the linkage stoppers were the wrong size for the holes in the servo arms and I had to muck around unnecessarily, (in my mind), to actually get the plane ready for its maiden.

When thinking of a Dynam you may need to do some extra work apart from basic assembly before it is safe to fly. The documentation was/is normally superb as is the parts availability though so far I have avoided the need for replacement parts. Actually my FW190 came with a spare prop straight out of the box. (Haven't need it yet)!

Yes my Dynams were also lower in cost than the oppositions product but they often come with a little extra annoyance. If you do not mind actually tinkering to make it work properly then by all means buy it!

I love my Dynams just a little distressed at how poor factory assembly has let them down!

Have fun!
The question is, is the site legit or a scam? I still think it would be ok.

SprncerT

Have fun!

I’m actually fairly handy for my generation!😂 Most of my friends couldn’t tell a screwdriver from a band saw!🤣 I think the Catalina is one of the better made Dynam models. Tho only problems I know of are the NAV lights being dim and the battery hatch magnets being weak. No problem for me though.

SprncerT

I just signed up for their newsletter. I haven’t received any confirmation email yet. Should be interesting to see if they send me anything.