Should I go flying? at a community event?

Techno

Sunny Day Park Flyer
This is a short-notice question to the community; I want YOUR opinion. I have the RCExplorer Tricopter V3 (using a KK2) and have just completed a successful test once again. I've had about 7 flights on this platform and I'm pretty comfortable with it. Also, I've had a mini quad which I use indoors for occasional procrastinating.
My scenario is as follows:
In my community, a Relay for Life walk is going on tomorrow. At my school, there is a TV Crew which has been asked to film at the event. I am willing to offer my services, but since I haven't been flying this tri for too long and it's a large event. I want your honest opinion DO I FLY?
I understand if you don't think I should, but since we're all in the same boat with the whole "drone" stuff, I wanted to pass the idea by the RC community before doing something which might be perceived as irresponsible.

I was planning on sectioning off an area FYI and of course, not flying over people.

Honest, gut, opinions. Thanks

UPDATE:
I won't fly,
not enough time to get authorized, I'll bring a little indoor quad for the evening

Last edited:

Flyingninja

Look, if you are comfortable with the tricopter and the conditions are safe (not much wind, etc) I would go for it. I realize that many people have a "fear" of droney type stuff so make sure that they know that you have control over it and that it probably won't get out of control.

I would say try and get approval from whom ever is in charge of the event. Also check with local Police to see if they have any laws that prohibit the use of "drones" (I know I hate the word too but it's how they will reference it). I know in LA County CA they just passed a law that you can't fly drones in public areas not designated for model aircraft. I saw them take a DJI phantom way from a guy that was flying it over a retired battle ship that was on display at a public event and they quoted that law as the PC to take it. All that aside I'm with ninja if you feel comfortable go for it, just have a back plan if things go bad, best of luck. I hope it turns out great for you.

makattack

Winter is coming
Mentor
Here's my take coming from someone who had helped run events like this: insurance and risk management for the event most likely will prohibit this aerial photography. Unless you get the event organizers to agree, and check with their insurance provider, don't do it. Too much liability for you that even ama insurance won't cover.

I'm with makattack.... On a risk/benefit scale, the potential downsides are catastrophic and outweigh any potential upside -- especially since AMA insurance wouldn't cover any accidents. Even if you got the event managers to claim that their insurance coverage extends to you, I'd still be wary that they even had authority to do so.

Maybe a pro outfit with hundreds of hours of flying experience on their systems (and professional-level insurance) would feel comfortable, flying near crowds (even with a sectioned-off area), but your 7 flights with that platform doesn't get you that level of experience. In general, I dislike seeing anyone flying multi-rotors near crowds -- there's already been one case of a news reporter crashing one and hitting a person (no serious injury, fortunately). Even if you're somewhat removed from the general crowds, a mistake or malfunction could still put people at risk.

Avoid the temptation -- very cool to help out, perhaps, but the risks are too great.

Techno

Sunny Day Park Flyer
Ok, I'm officially NOT FLYING the Tricopter. It's too late to get everything cleared, and again, I'm not experienced enough with crowds. I have two ideas though. 1: I might bring my little, 5-inch Hubsan and fly that (it's got a prop guard and I've had it for over a year) 2: if that still doesn't check out, I'll just drive around my little RC Jeep to pass the time.
THANKS FOR ALL THE INPUT I APPRECIATE IT!

Winglet

My neighbors look at me like I'm doing something illegal or something now when I fly my FT Flyer off of our 10 acre lot in the country. All of the negative DRONE press is having an effect even on this. Didn't used to be that way. Everyone came by to watch and ask questions. Lots of kids on bikes etc. Now I think they tell their kids to stay away from that guy with the drones?

Probably a good call not to fly at the event unfortunently, since we are conducting borderline illegal operations.:(

RAM

Posted a thousand or more times
My neighbors look at me like I'm doing something illegal or something now when I fly my FT Flyer off of our 10 acre lot in the country. All of the negative DRONE press is having an effect even on this. Didn't used to be that way. Everyone came by to watch and ask questions. Lots of kids on bikes etc. Now I think they tell their kids to stay away from that guy with the drones?

Probably a good call not to fly at the event unfortunently, since we are conducting borderline illegal operations.:(

Probably drug dealers. I hope you didn't catch them in the act (movie plot) ;)

setishock

Flying over crowds is a no no. If you lost control and it flew in to that crowd cutting people up, all you succeed in doing is giving our hobby another blackeye.
Things are tough enough for our hobby concerning the FAA. Please don't make matters worse.