Should I upgrade from my Dxe?

ThatPolishHotdog

Hey everyone! So far throughout my flight career, I've only flown on my Spektrum Dxe, which as many of you know, lacks any useful features. I'm at that point where I'm looking to upgrade, and another hobbyist near me is offering to sell either his Dx6 Gen 3 or Dx8 Gen 2 (both slightly used) to me.

Should I upgrade, or save my money for planes and sweet sweet batteries? And if so, which one? Thanks in advance!

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
I would vote to upgrade, but it's really up to you. Having a radio with a screen makes it soooo much easier to program! I'd say get the dx8 - it'll give you more options if you want to build a larger model or one with more features.

Hondo76251

Legendary member
I've got a DX8 and a DXe... if I had it to do again I'd have a Dx12 and a DX8 instead. The DXe has been fine for buddy boxing and leaving hooked to the sim in the house but I've never been thrilled with it. Now I'm looking into upgrading from the DX8...

I'd go with the DX8 if the price is right. For good quality used electronics I'd never go more than about 70% of new for perfect condition equipment, less for any obvious faults. I'd never go more than 30% or 40% on used gear that isnt name brand as a principle...

Ketchup

4s mini mustang
Also, keep in mind that the dx8 might cost more now than it did a couple years ago. It’s about 330 dollars now but I’m pretty sure that mine was only 300. Also, the price really depends. You might have to call Spektrum and check but if something happened to the transmitter and it is broken they might fix it for free (if it is within the warranty stuff, also I’m not sure if they will since you will not be the original owner).

Bricks

Master member
Spektrum is great for service I have purchased numerous used radios and if I needed a repair was ever only charged shipping.

Not sure what you are looking to spend I have a like new Spektrum DX9 with case only ever had one plane programed into it, it has been my backup radio which it seems I have never had to use. I would let it go at a very good price if interested drop me a PM.

Ryan O.

Out of Foam Board!
Hey everyone! So far throughout my flight career, I've only flown on my Spektrum Dxe, which as many of you know, lacks any useful features. I'm at that point where I'm looking to upgrade, and another hobbyist near me is offering to sell either his Dx6 Gen 3 or Dx8 Gen 2 (both slightly used) to me.

Should I upgrade, or save my money for planes and sweet sweet batteries? And if so, which one? Thanks in advance!
I would go for the DX8 if you can afford it. That way when you get into planes with more than 6 channels you won't have to upgrade again. If not, the DX6 is a great radio too.

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
Spektrum is great for service I have purchased numerous used radios and if I needed a repair was ever only charged shipping.

Not sure what you are looking to spend I have a like new Spektrum DX9 with case only ever had one plane programed into it, it has been my backup radio which it seems I have never had to use. I would let it go at a very good price if interested drop me a PM.
Hmm, I’ve actually been hoping to upgrade to a dx9 from my dx6...