Show Challenge Idea: Built from a FT kit box

JasonEricAnderson

I was just thinking it would be fun to see what the FT team could build from one of the shipping boxes of a speed build kit. This may have already been suggested but here's what I was thinking:

Challenge parameters:
  • Primary structure would be built from the speed build kit box.
  • Other build materials would have to be from items commonly found in speed build kits (popsicle stick, music wire, coffee stir sticks, zip ties, BBQ skewers, etc..)
  • Packing tape can be used.
  • Plastic heat seal bags used to pack the kits can be used as building material.
  • Standard props appropriate for whatever motor is selected.
  • Usable Electronics:
    • No more than 4 motors
    • 1-4 esc
    • 1 reciever, 3 Channels (Craftydan)
    • 1 battery
    • No more than 5 servos (9gram)

Judging parameters:
  1. The creation is NOT required to fly (see ideas below)
  2. Winner would be the person who's creation is deemed the most "Fun" or has the most "Fun Value".
  3. Winners will be judged by the rest of the FT team, family, or special guest

Just a few ideas that popped into my head:
  • Hovercraft?
  • Ground effect vehicle?
  • Air boat?
  • RC car?
  • Gyrocopter?
  • Something cool that could be dropped from a FT airframe?
  • Tool storage?
  • Wind tunnel?
  • Vapor like indoor airplane?
  • Crazy mad gizmo that just does something silly and looks funny?

Last edited:

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
Jason,

Motor count is directly proprtional to fun-ness. Get the OV-10 or Tri in the air, and you'll see ;)

Yeah, it's too easy to build a quad/tri, but that's a pretty creativity-squashing limit . . . how about liimiting the channels? funnest thing you can do with a shipping box and three channels?

JasonEricAnderson

Jason,

Motor count is directly proprtional to fun-ness. Get the OV-10 or Tri in the air, and you'll see ;)

Yeah, it's too easy to build a quad/tri, but that's a pretty creativity-squashing limit . . . how about liimiting the channels? funnest thing you can do with a shipping box and three channels?

Updated! Good points. After reading your post I had visions of the "Kardboard Kwad" and the "YNot copter".

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
Good call on the single receiver -- next thing you know they'd pull off something like the 5-pilots-1-plane the CrashCast pulled last SEFF (5 channel aircraft, one receiver per channel, five guys flying a single channel in concert . . . and flying surprisingly well . . .)