Show off your HZ Super Cub!

TheRCFool

Super Cub Love
My Cub, now 5 years old, in her updated paint and decals.
untitled_by_midengine4life-d54wcgo.jpg

cub_by_midengine4life-d54wd74.jpg

Last edited:

TheRCFool

Super Cub Love
A true testament to the durability of these aircraft. My best friend bought his cub a few years after seeing all the fun I had with mine and learned how to fly with it. Its been crashed and beat up more times than I can count. The gearbox is in two pieces and the plane sounds like its going to fly itself apart at any moment, the landing gear is tweaked, the motor cowling is cracked and the wings broken, but it still gets up there and has a good time.
untitled_by_midengine4life-d54zaho.jpg

One day we were out flying and because our sonic combat modules didn't work we decided just to try and hit each other. We succeeded three times during one flight. None of us crashed, my plane took no damage, but I nearly chopped his cub in half lol

Ak Flyer

Fly the wings off
Mentor
Tape some birthday streamer tape to the back of each plane and try to cut it off. Cheaper than the modules and a whole lot of fun.

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
My first attempt at uploading a picture to this site. This is my SC taking a lap around one of the local schools, with "fun" weather fast approaching. All my other pictures are too large and need to be re-sized, but they're all of the carnage and re-building after unexpected contact with ground...

IMG_0832.JPG

Last edited:

jetpackninja

More combat please...
Mentor
No new pics yet, but haven't flown the cub much this summer.
Had a jittery servo that was bugging me. Don't know why I let it sit so long.
Anyway took about a whole 10min to swap it out.
Our big combat sWARm is Saturday.
I usually manage to get some flights with the cub and may drop some nerf bombs and parachute guys.
My favorite target will be MIA for this event.
I love to watch him flinch whenever he sees that little cub profile come over the flight line :)

TheRCFool

Super Cub Love
Nice shot Joker!

My best bud finally decided to fix and upgrade his cub. He plans to add ailerons and bought a huge brushless motor that's almost as big as the one in my 1400mm Mustang. Shes gonna scream! Ill be ready with my camera when he rips the wings off.

Last edited:

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
Thanks! I'm very tempted to go brushless on mine as well, but I'd rather spend the money on acquiring other planes for the hangar.

I added the ailerons to my SC a month ago, and used the magic packing tape to straighten the wing most of the way - I wholeheartedly recommend anybody comfortable flying the stock SC do this! Still a little bend left in the wing, but not enough to negate the input from the ailerons.

I've flown it a few times since adding them and have been mysteriously finding the ground when I felt I was in complete control. I mounted a keychain camera on the plane and think I have found the reason - brownout. The last two flights ended with the motor losing all power. One resulted in a controlled fast landing and ended with a little grass staining on the cowl. The second occured while I was banking at a slower rate of speed. Video suggests that I either lost all control or that I was going slow enough that there wasn't enough airflow over the surfaces to maintain any lift. Either way, the SC dropped like a rock missing a row of trees by about 3' and ending up at ground level at the edge of a farm field. I got very lucky it didn't end up in the trees.

A flight before these the SC also experiencing some odd behavior. At full throttle the SC flew like it was at 50% throttle, and it really didn't want to climb. My guess is that the extra servos and the battery with an extra 5C on it are overloading the stock receiver/ESC. To be safe I'm going to replace the stock electronics with a new ESC for the brushed motor and drop in a new receiver. Yeah, I could upgrade to brushless and get better performance, but that'd require a new motor and motor mount which would push the cost up more. For under $10 I can get the brushed ESC from HK and see what happens.

In the meantime, the SC is grounded as I really don't want to lose it. My Ultra Micro T-28 will get all of my flight time, assuming the wind cooperates.

Ak Flyer

Fly the wings off
Mentor
Strange, I flew the stock esc/rx combo with two extra servos for a long time with no problems. What type of servos are you using?

Ak Flyer

Fly the wings off
Mentor
I just remembered, My cousin had the same problem and we found that the antenna wire had come loose from the esc/rx and had the same symptoms. I fixed the wire and had no more problems. Better check that wire.

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
Strange, I flew the stock esc/rx combo with two extra servos for a long time with no problems. What type of servos are you using?

The standard 9 gram HK blue-cheapies. From what I've read, the brown-out is hit-or-miss, and not everybody experiences it.

Last edited:

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
I just remembered, My cousin had the same problem and we found that the antenna wire had come loose from the esc/rx and had the same symptoms. I fixed the wire and had no more problems. Better check that wire.

A while back I became concerned that the antenna wire would get pulled out, so I put two dabs of hotglue on it to hold it secure. I haven't seen any range issues before or since the crashes, but I can certainly see how it would be easy to accidentally screw it up.

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
Someday I'll go brushless with it, but that's a low priority.

I finally got around to uploading some flight/crash video from the last time the SC flew. At a few points shown you can hear the motor quit. The first time I had to reach quickly to avoid the soccer nets, but ended up with a rough 3-point landing. The next time it wasn't quite so smooth...

(Yeah, my flight style is "less than smooth", as can be seen by the jerky plane movements.)

Last edited: