Show off your HZ Super Cub!

Radguy

Howdy fellas, I've been flying planes for almost two years or so now, my first plane being a HZ Super Cub. I decided to take things a bit further...

20130127_221322.jpg

robschonk

Truly is amazing some of the mods done to SCs. A blank canvas for the creative mind.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 65
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    123.9 KB · Views: 64
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 335
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    166.3 KB · Views: 57
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    189.1 KB · Views: 60
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    567.9 KB · Views: 58
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    250.4 KB · Views: 63

Fishbonez

Today I decided to blow the dust off one of my cubs today with floats. I have never flown off the water and thought it was a good day to try it. I have nicknamed her "ole reliable" she hung in there like a champ. Watch out for the ducks who insisted on getting in the way during take off and again during landing

Foam Addict

Squirrel member
I thought I could dust off this thread with my SC: Double Ugly!

One of my friends gave me two "unrepairable" airplanes. A VERY beat up Supercub, and a Flyzone Sensei Mint in box.

He had a RX failure at around 300 feet, and it piled into his driveway at full power. Well, about 8 hours, a brushless mod, and a paint job later:

100_3708.JPG

100_3707.JPG

I really need a new cowling at minimum, and a new fuselage to be realistic, but she flies so well! I had a 3536 with a 11x7 prop on four cells (towed an Eflite mystique at my flying field with the beast) in her originally, and I only succeeded in further shortening the fuselage, (wing got about 60degrees of dihedral, and my rudder was out of trim) so I now have a 2830 in it. No vertical, but she flies great.

EDIT: Oh I forgot, She is entirely coated in packing tape, which I then shrunk with a heat gun. Which Is why It has polyhedral instead of a flat wing...:rolleyes:

Last edited:

TomCub

Well, I'll dust this one off again, I can't resist;
Here's my first complete mod;
Alierons, Flow-over flaps, 480 800KV, 40 amp ESC, on 3 cells 1800MAH 50c Nano Tech Batt, covered in paper and white glue, and painted. IMG_0161(1) (600x800).jpg IMG_0169(1) (800x600).jpg IMG_0182(1) (800x600).jpg
and here's my last one;
this one is basically the same setup (wing is flatten on both with carbon fiber spar), but this one has 4" cut out of the center of the wing (clipped wing). IMG_0093.JPG IMG_0094.JPG IMG_0095.JPG

earthsciteach

Both are great looking planes! Nice job.

Foam - I like the blue! Makes me want to rebuild my SC that's currently in pieces!

TomCub

Both are great looking planes! Nice job.

Foam - I like the blue! Makes me want to rebuild my SC that's currently in pieces!

Thanks earthsciteach; the last one you see there, for me, is hanging in my garage, but that's all it'll do, for now. I strained it through a mesquite tree, a couple of months ago.

earthsciteach

Thanks earthsciteach; the last one you see there, for me, is hanging in my garage, but that's all it'll do, for now. I strained it through a mesquite tree, a couple of months ago.

OUCH! LOL!!!! I can only imagine what mesquite does to a foamy! Its like a reverse dart board.

TomCub

OUCH! LOL!!!! I can only imagine what mesquite does to a foamy! Its like a reverse dart board.

well kinda, only a lot worse at 50/60 MPH...imagine, 8ish, summer morning, NO wind, a "need to be fly'in day". I take the little cub up and she is fly'in great, she's a little nose heavy, but I fly'em like that here in West Texas, the wind is always blowing, but it's unusually still this morning. I bring her by me kinda slow, and shes fly'in good. I give some throttle, she goes strait up to about 300 feet, and stalls.The hammer head is pretty sloppy, but I'm at 300 feet, so no big deal. The nose heavy plane does some pretty crazy flopp'in around up there and winds up in an inverted dive. I'm thinking no big deal, I'm still at about 200 feet and just put in a fresh battery, this should be cool, but this nose heavy plane is taking a lot of up elevator and full throttle, to make the turn. I'm just going to make it...and at about 50 feet, It spun the prop off of the motor. Of course panic set in, I bobbed and should have weaved.
If you are a hunter, then you know what a 30-06 bullet sounds like hitting the body of a dear, on a crisp clear morning. That's what my plane sounded like going in the top of that tree, with about a 3 second delay and some of the pieces falling out the bottom. the rest hung up in the tree by the electronics...:( I've finished two planes since...can't make myself rebuild this one yet. Yea, I know...They all have expiration dates! It's about time to build another one.

Tom

earthsciteach

That was a beautiful description. I do know the sound. And I do know mesquite, having lived in Texas for several years. Not to mention how poorly the SC flies inverted due to the Clark Y airfoil. But, the HZ SC is very much like a cat. 9 lives plus... Rebuild that thang!

Fishbonez

Been a while since anyone posted about their cub so I figured I would bring this thread into the New Year.

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
I've got a pair of Super Cubs. One was my first plane, so it's been broken in half a number of times. The second is a "pristine" version which is still scratch-free. Both have a flattened wing with ailerons, brushless motor upgrades, reinforced battery/landing gear box, etc. The second SC also has flaps, which it really doesn't need, but I couldn't resist the temptation to add 'em!

One of these two usually joins me out to fly, it's a great plane to practice touch & go's.

earthsciteach

Thought it would be appropriate to post a current pic of my HZ SC - the first one in this thread. She's a war wagon and a work horse!

HZ SC.jpg

Jim Bridger

What kind of flight times are you guys getting w/ a 2200mAh 3S and upgraded brushless motors?
I have some upgrades coming my way,, cant wait. Guessing 15 maybe 20 minutes taking it easy?

Out of my dozen or so planes/quads the Super Cub is still one of my favorites to fly!

Thanks