Show or Build idea: Retractable Landing Gear on a Foam Board Plane... Can it be done and done well?

Tingler

I would love to see retractable landing gear created on either an existing Flitetest plane or newly designed plane..
Can it be done with with lasered out wood, Wire and Foam Board only and done well enough to be reliable, meaning take a little abuse. It would be awesome to see this option for a few of the fixed wing planes offered like the FT racer, The Spitfire, The Mustang...

Paracodespoder

Elite member
It can and has been done, but the cons out way the pros for almost all planes. They’re heavy and often fail, but they are cool and make it more areodynamic. Do some experiments and try it yourself and tell us the results.

kilroy07

Legendary member
Later this year, I would like to update the FT Mustang and add retracts to it.
I'm interested is seeing what you come up with.

Seahunter

I would love to see retractable landing gear created on either an existing Flitetest plane or newly designed plane..
Can it be done with with lasered out wood, Wire and Foam Board only and done well enough to be reliable, meaning take a little abuse. It would be awesome to see this option for a few of the fixed wing planes offered like the FT racer, The Spitfire, The Mustang...
Great idea and yes it can be done, Although I am planning a thread to show the design and build of my current project ,a Cessna T50 Bobcat here is a sneak peek at some of my photos that I haven't edited yet. Note the aircraft ply cut on a bandsaw for the mounts in the pods, the gear is E-flite EFLG100's mounted and modified to fold directly back instead of inward sideways as in warbirds. The cowlings were cut from Kraft mayo jars. I'm using a FT twin "C" pack. I hope to get a plan drawn up for this airplane, a model of Sky King's T50 Songbird, although this being version one it will probably sport a USCG racing stripe!
GOPR0499.JPG GOPR0497.JPG GOPR0499.JPG GOPR0497.JPG GOPR0493.JPG GOPR0492.JPG GOPR0490.JPG

quorneng

Master member
It does rather depend on what type foam board.
This 52" Ballerina is made of Depron
It has a retractable tail wheel as well!
The grass was so rough its maiden was hand launched wheels down using the wheel wells as hand holds. Although the U/C was cycled up and down a few times in flight it was belly landed with no damage!