Show Request! Airplane trim set up ie thrust angle cg etc.

jw423

Hello Flite Test,

I am progressing in the hobby, but I still struggle with airplane trim setup. I could really use some help with how to fly my plane and identify what is set correctly and what is wrong and how to correct it. I have found plenty of sites with literature on how to do this but I think a video would make it so much easier to understand, especially with the way you guys explain things. I know it would be quite extensive but having your plane set right sure makes things so much nicer. If you could go through something like this list below that would be great!

http://www.scootworks.com/rdrc/trim.html

I know you have touched on most of this, but the videos were mostly just you need to do it. I want to learn how to identify and fix each setting.

Thank you for your time.

JW

jw423

Check the link, that is more what I'm talking about. I guess maybe trimming is a bad word.

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
No, I see what you mean. We get so many new people to flying that I just assumed (which is the real bad word) that you meant regular trim. What you are asking for is partly stuff that needs to be addressed during the build and partly stuff that can be done during flight testing. I'm not sure that can be handled in a single episode. Something that in-depth should demand it's own series.

jw423

Ya, that's kinda what I thought. It's almost like doing flight testing and coming back and making changes after seeing the flight characteristics you have. Trim is probably a bad word to use too. I just didn't know what to call it so I used the title of the list I found :)
Maybe just pick one at a time and do an episode on that? Hence the series though. I guess they wouldn't have to all be done in a row though. Just do one every once in a while.

Maybe some crafty Flite Tester author or forum person could do it if Flite Test is too busy.

I'm sure the new beginner series is keeping them very busy. They have been cool episodes though. I tell everyone I meet that takes an interest to check it out. It is so cool when someone asks what the plane costs and I can say oh the plane cost about six bucks. Of coarse I have give the bad news about the radio and electronics. But with the swappable plans that can be a one time deal.

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
I'm sure the new beginner series is keeping them very busy. They have been cool episodes though. I tell everyone I meet that takes an interest to check it out. It is so cool when someone asks what the plane costs and I can say oh the plane cost about six bucks. Of coarse I have give the bad news about the radio and electronics. But with the swappable plans that can be a one time deal.

$6?!?

Flying around those pricey planes are you? The last Blody Wonder I built ran me ~$3.50 in non-salvagable materials.