Show Suggestion:- basic aerobatics

mungral

I would like to see some episodes on basic aerobatic manoeuvres.
not just video footage, but diagrams and detailed information on transmitter stick control.
a basic step by step on what to do with your fingers.
and how to correct when it dose not work out.

covering both outdoor and indoor (3D foamy) type planes.

I know there's a lot of information out there, including flight sims.
but the Flite Test guys seem to know just how to show the information in an easy to understand way.

this type of thing
basic-RC-airplane-aerobatic-maneuvers

What do you think?

mjcp

I'd like to see that!

I can do most but have always struggled with in RC and full size is Barrel rolls, they seem to end up as aileron rolls or fall apart... (they should be a nice smooth 1g manoeuvre!)

I 've often struggled to get RC planes to spin properly too...

mjcp

ZoomNBoom

I'd like to see that!

I can do most but have always struggled with in RC and full size is Barrel rolls, they seem to end up as aileron rolls or fall apart... (they should be a nice smooth 1g manoeuvre!)

I 've often struggled to get RC planes to spin properly too...

mjcp

Its the planes.
Very few of my models will spin, almost all will just do a spiral dive. Not entirely sure what is caused by, but its probably got something to do with washout in the profile to avoid tipstalls. Even the stall behavior on most of my planes is WAY gentler then in any real aircraft. In most cases I can maintain full back elevator with no throttle and just keep flying while maintaining aileron control. Try that with just about any full scale plane, its not gonna work :)

As for a barrel roll, again I would blame the plane design, although only partially. On many/most RC planes, especially aerobatic models, if you fly inverted, you require very little up elevator, the nose just wont drop like with most real planes (admittedly, Ive never flown anything full scale thats truly aerobatic, so maybe in a sukhoi/CAP/etc its the same) But this you can compensate for relatively easy by just applying some back elevator throughout the manoeuvre. And do it slowly, both the airspeed and the roll rate.