Show suggestion : Where to start

oldmancrash

I looked through the old threads and didn’t see anything like this. Pieces here and there but nothing done for a simple minded person like myself. I am looking for a starting point. Something that gives suggestions of where to start. Which radio would be good to start with. Not to expensive and yet still have room to grow with. Which servos are the better ones for beginners, difference in motors and props, what is the difference in ESC's, different batteries and chargers? I know I can build a plane because of how well your build videos are. But where does a person start? I don’t want to go out and buy a bunch of junk (and I believe there is a lot of that out there) but still don’t want to spend a fortune. What would Flite Test suggest as a GREAT beginner starting spot for a person wanting to build one of your beginner planes?

MrClean

Find the local RC clubs first, it's always easiest to learn from a trained pilot. If there is none then for a radio I'd buy a Turnigy 9xR and build an FT flyer. Materials list is on the FTflyer video. You could buy a plug n fly like the Bixler or AXN and they are wonderful flying airplanes but i'd crash a few swappables before buying the Bix, it'll get you past the first crashes.

JasonEricAnderson

I 100% agree. I think it would be great, now that Flite Test has all their kits and stuff rolling, to have maybe a playlist in their youtube channel that would take someone new to the hobby from start to their first maiden of a swappable speed build kit. having only recently built and flown my first successful swappable I have had to piece together alot of info.

For the most part, all of the basic info is there in the Flite Test videos but it's spread across multiple installments. I thought about buying a pre built kit but something about building from scratch and knowing how to rebuild it after I've crash really appealed to me. I've started keeping track of my progress on my blog but I'm new to the hobby as well so I don't have much experience to share other than what I've purchased and built for my first plane.

Also, there is a lot of good introduction information over at MAKER HANGER

Last edited:

buggyboat

I went with this radio and for the money its great. http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__9042__Hobby_King_2_4Ghz_6Ch_Tx_Rx_V2_Mode_2_.html If money was not such an issue I would have gone with the 9xR. I had to learn on my own. The information you are looking for is out there. I watched everything I could find on Youtube. Thats how I found Flitetest. They seemed to do the best job presenting things. The way I figure it is that if I can do it, anyone can do it, and Josh Scott is just a good actor pretending to be "Dumb Josh." :)

oldmancrash

JasonEricAnderson and mustang7302, Thank you very much for the link. That series cleared a LOT of questions I had. Boy I cant wait to start building my first plane. Again Thank you!!!

oldmancrash

Ok so on maker hanger they suggested a couple android apps for a flight simulator. I loaded Absolute RC plane simulator and it is very touchy. Is this normal? Or should I really go pick up a simulater and load it on my laptop so I have the real feel. If so which one? I am leaning towards the Turnigy 9XR as it has the simulator mode built in for my transmitter. Which program would you guys suggest to work the best with it? Or what is a better package? Again and as always Thank you for your time and help. Crash

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
Touchy is not always a bad thing...It will teach finesse on the sticks. I haven't used any of the sims you asked about though so I'm no help there...

Jaxx

Posted a thousand or more times
Ok so on maker hanger they suggested a couple android apps for a flight simulator. I loaded Absolute RC plane simulator and it is very touchy. Is this normal? Or should I really go pick up a simulater and load it on my laptop so I have the real feel. If so which one? I am leaning towards the Turnigy 9XR as it has the simulator mode built in for my transmitter. Which program would you guys suggest to work the best with it? Or what is a better package? Again and as always Thank you for your time and help. Crash

Personally, for a beginner, I would recommend the 9x with module and receiver over the 9XR. That way, you get a transmitter, module and receiver in one package. With the 9XR, you will have to select and purchase a module and receiver(s) to match. The 9X comes ready to go, and additional 6 channel receivers are only $10 each. The only issue is, I don't think you can use the 9X with a sim in its stock configuration. Youtube is a great resource for beginners. I'm a beginner as well, so I understand your pain. I picked up the Dynam simulator at hobbypartz.com. I think it was around $15. Then I downloaded RC Desk Pilot (free simulator). Even though It was very very basic, and glitchy at times, it allowed me to get a feel for the orientation of an RC airplane. It was enough to give me the skills I needed to maiden my Bloody Wonder (this is the plane I learned to fly with a few months ago). If has very forgiving characteristics when paired with the 24g blue wonder motor. If you like, I can provide you with the entire combination of parts that got me started, and the links to go with them, but I believe each build article already does that. I will post more links to some great beginner info. The Hope this helps.

oldmancrash

Thank you xuzme and Jaxx. I appreciate your input. A friend of mine that has also recently gotten into rc quad copters suggested the 9x instead of the 9XR. So that will be the route I will follow. You bet I am up for links. Thank you