Show us your maidens!

oagh

I have a 1st flight vid, Its a Katana ES , its a 3-d plane. It was done useing a gopro in hand, so its just ok .
But here is my 1st flight , the landing is fast :)
my expo is sett too 125 % for 3-d

1st post, 1st flight

Hey all. Just thought, for my first post, I would add my first flight of my first flying wing.
I built this myself from scratch and I am really impressed with how well it flies. Its a bit twitchy, but I think I just need to dial in some expo.
This is probably going to be the first of many builds and definitly the first of many flights.
I have had this up in the air 3 times now and I still havn't had chance to do a proper landing yet.
First flight (this one) I was trying to pull out of a loop and just didn't have enough elevator authority.
Second flight, I found its speed limit. The wing was fluttering really bad. I thought it was gonna rip itself to bits. So I brought it down as gently as i could.
Third flight. My countdown timer ran out, so I was trying to bring it round for a perfect landing and I got it stuck at the top of the only tree in the freaking field! I have not climbed a tree since I was a kid, but its just like riding a bike :)
I am still quite new to RC flying, so I'm still learning.
So, here is my new toy
2012-06-27195321.jpg

And here is the video of its maiden flight.

Enjoy ;)
Oh, please excuse by filthy mouth. I havn't managed to figure out how to insert a beep noise using this new video editing tool.

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
First flight with it? :O You're a friggin natural!

I like the scenery where you fly. I went up in the mountains once, and I got the chance to do that - fly all around me, not just in front of me.

Great flying!

Thanks :) I wouldnt say I'm a natural though. I used to fly real planes in the air cadets when I was younger, so I have the basic flying skills from there.
Its not too bad there. Its literally 3 minutes walk from my house. Only problem is, its always quite breezy because its pretty much the highest point round here. Thats why you see the 2 tv transmission towers as I'm flying round.
Being able to fly around me makes it a bit easier because I can just keep flying in a big circle ;)
We dont have mountains anywhere near here. In the UK, we just have big hills. But there are some nice areas where I would love to fly FPV.

bmsweb

Site Moderator
Nice Maiden Night Crawler!!

This is my maiden of my Mini Skywalker FPV. Nothing too exciting but have a look at 57sec mark where I am still trimming it out!

Carbon

Elemental Madness
Maiden of the brushless Super Cub. I went great, right up until I got interference from the cell tower near by and did a 200 ft nose dive into the ground...

bmsweb

Site Moderator
Man shame about your supercub! Not sure what sort of great you're using but it could also be due to a faulty receiver. I've had one of those.

Carbon

Elemental Madness
well, here is the thing; I used it with no problems in my funbat build, and then when I turned the SC to brushless I used it. The reason I had an excuse to go brushless was because I had crashed it in almost the same spot with the standard Cub receiver. That's why I think it must be the tower.

bmsweb

Site Moderator
That sounds like it. I know the club I used to fly at many years ago, on landing approach in this one direction there would always be a glitch and I used to hate having to punch through that spot.

I've still got a turnigy receiver that had a dryish solder join of the antenna. I've never got around to fixing it but I was luck not to lose my model because of it. Well for what its worth it looked good . . before the crash

Carbon

Elemental Madness
thanks :/ I bought a new body today(there goes my allowance for the month) and I'll have 'er up and running by saturday. I'll keep you guys posted.
I think my new plane is going to be something small that doesn't crash hard like a little EDF mig-15 or something :D

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
well, here is the thing; I used it with no problems in my funbat build, and then when I turned the SC to brushless I used it. The reason I had an excuse to go brushless was because I had crashed it in almost the same spot with the standard Cub receiver. That's why I think it must be the tower.

I've been thinking a lot about those cell towers, as I don't wan't to lose my plane in the ocean!

I know I'm safe on 72MHz - but what I do not know is - are they the same frequencies on cell towers in the USA as there are in other places?

I know for sure I can't use 900MHz FPV because local cell towers run around 900Mhz. So does that mean I'm safe with 2.4GHz? How can I test it?

bmsweb

Site Moderator
It wasn't a completely successful maiden, but its just foam. It can be modified, rebuilt & repaired :cool:

Looks like a Nice build and it looked like it flew really once additional weight was added and trimmed. Shame about the accident but it didn't look too bad :)

Fishbonez

This got ugly...Maiden of my Phase 3 ef16

This is not for the faint at heart. Viewer discretion is advised :black_eyed:

I always say it will fly or go home in a box