Show us your maidens!

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
No Guts No Glory as they say. Seemed to do well from what I saw but Im not a plank pilot yet so...

Any flaws will probably show better under good flying conditions when you are actually flying the plane and not just reacting to it.

HilldaFlyer

The day had finally arrived. FT-Viggen Maiden. This FT Viggen was built by removing the paper from the foam, reskinning with 0.73 oz fiberglass. Most of the aircraft was put together with Gorilla glue. Flew way better than anticipated.
Enjoy !

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Yer gettin this whole maiden thing down now. I like the comments during the process like everything is going the opposite of what you intended but the flights are going pretty good.

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
6 weeks after she was built, I finally got to the field with my Telemaster for a maiden flight day.

Four flights on her and she performed beautifully! Didn't have to touch the CG - flaps work amazingly well - stalls straight forward without dropping a wing, has plenty of power to loop and hammer head, and is easy to keep track of in the sky. I love how this plane turned out! On the first takeoff with a 9x4.7 it mowed the grass a bit, and when trying to taxi it really spit grass pieces all over the place. I switched to an 8x4.5 and she still has plenty of power and doesn't assault the vegetation as much. Two 7 minute flights with that prop and the battery came down at 3.9v per cell both times - I bet I could get 12 minute flights without tearing up the battery. The only thing I want to change is to try to bend the landing gear to give it a little more ground clearance.

I now join the ranks of hundreds of modelers who highly recommend building a Telemaster - and now that Carolina Custom Kits is making them you can get all the sizes from a small company in North Carolina :D

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Well done Jonathan.

Yes I will give you praise twice hehe. You deserve it just on cool points alone mate.

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Thanks Pysborg - I know a lot of folks don't haunt the balsa section of the forum, so I wanted to share with a wider audience over here too :D

Yesterday was a day of many maidens for me (that doesn't sound right, don't let wifey hear that). Next file processed was my FT Simple Scout painted up to match the FT Baby Baron I did for the Gotha Gaggle a couple years back. I just love how easy it is to keep orientation with this color scheme :D

danbob

I scaled up a FT spitfire to 1200mm wingspan and took it for its maiden the other night, flew great with no trim needed

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
My maiden flight for the weekend - a garage rescue mystery plane I'm calling an Elder 60. Pretty sure it was scratch or plans built, but it was stored roughly and needed a bit of work (and a 3d printed pilot) to get her ready to fly. My new favorite plane I think :D

jevan23

Maiden flight of the FT Spear with AS3X. I programed the reciever using the file for the BLH01000 Manta BNF with SAFE Select. Only flew in Mode 3 for the maiden, but it worked like a charm!

danbob

I scaled up another FT Spitire, this time to a 1350 wingspan with landing gear.
It had its maiden on Sunday, plane came back in one piece, but had a few problems, first off i'm not sure the motor is working properly, seems to be not very linear, its from a trainstar tough trainer, and has always felt a bit on/off but seems to be worse now since it was up a tree :)
Second problem was I had forgotten to screw the servo arms in, so had no rudder to start with, the combination of an unconnected rudder flapping about and too much throw all round made it pretty scary to fly :)
Connected the rudder and lowered the throws and flew much better.
Hopefully can Re-maiden on friday with new motor and everything connected

33joe

Hello, today I found some old footage from 2016. Maiden flight of my scrachbuild FT Cruiser, initially it looked very good but eventually it did not work as planed. That's why I decided to convert it to single-motor, but the result I will show you in the next video.

Last edited:

HilldaFlyer

I built another FA-18 Super Hornet and dressed it like a Blue Angel. This version sports a 2700 kv motor and FLIP32 Flight Control Board. This was my first model with flight stabilization. With the faster motor it was supposed to be a screamer, but although it is screaming loud, it didn't seem as fast as I thought it should be. The flight controller needs to have the gains turned down because it was very jittery above about 50% throttle. Anyway... enjoy the maiden.

HilldaFlyer

I build another, yes - another, MiniWing... this one is #7. This was a tough flight because the trims were so far out of whack. I felt very blessed to get the wing down without a real crash, but it was close. Judge for yourself if this was a crash or not, but no damage.