Show us your maidens!

OliverW

Legendary member
Most of the pieces were the 3d printed landing gear and wheel parts shattering. Worst part was that was the second plane I maidened that crashed from airframe issues last weekend! I like to maiden other ppls planes, allows me to fly things I do not have time to build myself. Just hate it when it goes wrong!
I know the feeling. I had to crash land a guys FT edge in the tall grass when someone parked on the electric runway...

L Edge

Master member

My first ever solo flight, and it was the maiden of my FT Commuter 049. And no, you're not hearing things, and I didn't do any post-processing dubbing. That thing does have a Cox 0.049 on the nose. And it was flying!

Happy to see you tuned the .049 Use to race them with a GLH plane with speeds in excess of 100mph. Brings back old memories.
How do you shut yours off if you have too?

JennyC6

Elite member
Happy to see you tuned the .049 Use to race them with a GLH plane with speeds in excess of 100mph. Brings back old memories.
How do you shut yours off if you have too?
I have a choketube throttle on my engine, can throttle cut like any larger engine. And that is why it died on me here; throttle servo came unglued and pulled the throttle shut mid flight.

Plane has a 4oz fuel tank in the cabin and I had filled it about halfway for this flight. It should have flown for 20 minutes, not two.

That is actually attempt two. Attempt one had a 5x3x3 MA prop on and it just didnt have the airspeed. 6x4x2 Top Flite wood prop got it airborne tho! I didnt think it could swing it well enough but, hey, apparently it can.

Last edited:

L Edge

Master member
I have a choketube throttle on my engine, can throttle cut like any larger engine. And that is why it died on me here; throttle servo came unglued and pulled the throttle shut mid flight.

Plane has a 4oz fuel tank in the cabin and I had filled it about halfway for this flight. It should have flown for 20 minutes, not two.

That is actually attempt two. Attempt one had a 5x3x3 MA prop on and it just didnt have the airspeed. 6x4x2 Top Flite wood prop got it airborne tho! I didnt think it could swing it well enough but, hey, apparently it can.

Way to save weight when racing(no servo), use fixed stiff copper tube that goes down to bottom rear of tank. To shut off, roll inverted and wait about 3 seconds.

Piotrsko

Master member

6x4 2 blade is the biggest a 049 can swing, bit more power if you shave the glow plug and run "HELICOPTER" fuel

JennyC6

Elite member
6x4 2 blade is the biggest a 049 can swing, bit more power if you shave the glow plug and run "HELICOPTER" fuel
I needed the airspeed. Tried on a 5x3 3-blade and it just wasn't going fast enough. 6x4 worked a treat. FWIW that was on just 24% nitro. I have a quart of 35% nitro sitting here, and I have the adapter in with one head shim and an OS-8 glow plug in said adapter. Gonna fly it again and see how that combo works. Higher nitro wants lower compression, which should offset the compression loss from using that adapter-and-standard-plug, and it should run even better on that 6x4 prop with a bit more nitro in it.

FWIW the Texaco 0.049s swung 8x4 props just fine. They only turned them at something like 7500-8500RPM, but they swung 'em just fine, and could get impressive durations out of just 8cc of fuel.

Piotrsko

Master member
Well, yeah, I have run a 8-4 prop on my .051 hotrod teedee but it had little thrust. Ditto for the old club 7-6 topflite with clipped tips. Both work well on the 09 medallion.

Texaco's are the 049 equivelant of a $20k crate engine, so no suprise there.

All I have are the original glow heads, bought a box the first time cox went bankrupt.

Last edited:

Captain Jay

Elite member
Here is the maiden flight I did tonight on my scratch built F-20 Tigershark. You'll have to click on the link to watch it. The launch was awesome then I realized the control surfaces moved to Mich and it was a little bit of a handful to manage. But I brought it back and landed in one piece. The following fights were even better as I adjusted the expo and surface movements...
https://photos.app.goo.gl/qi4vipLJMQgigRAH7

Vimana89

Legendary member
AET slender delta prototype. Had one like it when still cutting my teeth that didn't last long, but it did a couple good rolls. This one, on the other hand, is not good at rolls. It can't barrel roll and just loses stability if I try to force the issue.This is what caused the crash on maiden today. I think it is the combination of large winglets, small ailerons, and not very strong 1806 motor? Good news is, if I don't try to do any aerobatics, this plane is one of the easiest things I've ever flown. It does nice neat straight passes, and it banks smoother and cleaner than anything I've built or flown before. The elevator is a bit weak too, but it has some very modest high alpha ability that helps at slow flight. I'm going to repair the nose and use this as a casual cruiser for fun and to practice clean circuits and passes.(and to eat up all those spare clockwise Raycorps)

Here's the maiden, uncut, crash and all.

Captain Jay

Elite member
Ok, so I had a few issues with my Learjet and they were all my issues not the plane. The take off was great, then I realized I had to much movement again on my elevator, cut the throttle in half and got mixed up by the time I was at the other end of the field. I rolled it over and nose it in hard... oops. I will rebuild and try again with far less control surfaces movements... enjoy the video... cheers and good building. Here is the drastic video. There were a few other crashes at the field today. Makes for a fun evening with all this carnage. Hahahaha
https://photos.app.goo.gl/iJBSv5JQ2SkUPYjq6
IMG_20190722_1848092.jpg