Show us your maidens!

LitterBug

Techno Nut
Maiden flight of my latest RMRC Nano Skyhunter. (on my third) This one has an FC, but is currently only being used for battery monitoring and telemetry. R9 Mini, DTFc, dRonin, AIO FPV camera/VTX Accidentally disarmed the motor at the end... when the static happens.

Cheers!
LitterBug

daxian

Elite member
the maiden of the midi sportster finally happened ,its been sat on the wall for two years ,trying to look pretty!!
i built the mini first ...what a disaster !! hand launched full throttle and it just rolled into a dive and was totally obliterated .
that put me off flying 4 channel ....so, the midi sat on the wall .
recently got a 3 axis stabiliser so i thought to try the midi with it in ...here is the result !!

FoamyDM

Building Fool-Flying Noob
@BridgeInspector - haven't seen him around in awhile. I hope all is ok, just busy.

I meant to post this a short while ago.

After many crashes, I rebuild and still requiring a hand launch:

You wanna build it, it's easy and flies gently. Download it here. And post your success here

Did I mention it's part of the FTFC20 Classic to Modern. Join in the fun!

HilldaFlyer

Been working on getting this in the air since I picked it up from BridgeInspector at Flite Fest '18 last year. RMRC Stratosurfer FPV

Probably one of my best maidens ever!

Cheers!
LitterBug

Great video link. When I capture the DVR - most of it is lines. This is pretty clean.

LitterBug

Techno Nut
Great video link. When I capture the DVR - most of it is lines. This is pretty clean.
Thanks HildaFlyer. That feed is actually not that great. I had my 1.3Ghz gear on that build, which is a straight up single and dipole setup. I've been working on my ground gear lately and am documenting it over in this thread. I have a HMDVR capturing @ 720x480, and then upscale it to 1080p before uploading to youtube. That helps minimize the overcompression that youtube does when you upload. I have better footage from some of my other maidens last week. Should get one or two more up soon.

Cheers!
LitterBug

Last edited:

LitterBug

Techno Nut
This is my Franken RMRC NSH that has been built from what is left from my first two Nano Skyhunters. The parts have all been very well abused and have been rebuilt with a OmnibusF3Pro running inav 2.2.1. I did a quick flight to run autotrim, but forgot to start the DVR, so this will have to count as Maiden, since it was the "first" autolaunch I've ever done, and first autotune I have done on it. :-D I cut all the meandering around out of the middle. Got 7+ min fly time out of a 1300mah battery, using just under 1000mah of it. In other words, just cruising around at mid throttle.

I did an Autotune on this flight. Basically, you flip into autotune, then bang sticks. It starts out very undertuned and slow, then gradually the FC makes adjustments based on the reaction it sees. Do Roll or pitch, but not both at same time. You just need to do full stick deflections. I chopped a bunch out of the middle which was just kinda cruzing around.

Build: RMRC Nano Skyunter PNP
Esc: Stock
Motor: Edge Racing (sunnysky) 2206 kv2100
FC: Omnibus F3Pro v3 running iNav 2.2.1
GPS: ReadyToFlyQuads Mini8 30x30
RX: Frsky R9Mini
Camera: Runcam Micro Swift
VTX: RMRC Cricket 200mw 5.8ghz
Antenna: VAS Minion (ibcrazy)
Prop APC 6x4x2 EP
Battery: Tattu 3S 1300mah

Plenty of vertical as you should be able to tell by the launch at < 75% LOL

Cheers!
LitterBug

Last edited:

BridgeInspector

Flite Test Groupie
@BridgeInspector - haven't seen him around in awhile. I hope all is ok, just busy.

He has been very busy with a one man kitchen remodel. I took my 1950s kitchen down to the studs and brought it back with all new everything. It has taken about 6 months and my flying and building have taken a back seat. I still have about a month of weekends to get it complete and then I will be back to the addiction.
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1KBeLY5ly2CMfyK0bEHKm5bIIFvSM8UOU

FoamyDM

Building Fool-Flying Noob
He has been very busy with a one man kitchen remodel. I took my 1950s kitchen down to the studs and brought it back with all new everything. It has taken about 6 months and my flying and building have taken a back seat. I still have about a month of weekends to get it complete and then I will be back to the addiction.
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1KBeLY5ly2CMfyK0bEHKm5bIIFvSM8UOU
Great Work!
It looks a lot brighter and cleaner. You should be Proud.

rva1945

HI.

I'm new to RC planes, started this year, and this is my 3rd foamy. It's basically a 3-ch, square 5 cm tube and a Simple Cub wing without ailerons and shaped to a polyhedral. My ther two planes are the Simple Cub and a modified Explorer.

Originally I wanted to build it in cardboard from a packaging but it turned out to be too heavy, so I rebuilt the fuse and wings in foam, retaining just the stabs, rudder and elevator in cardboard.

This one is 75cm long, 114cm wingspan, 2200kv turning a 7x3, 2S 2200mAh and the AUW is 480g. Sorry I don't use imperial units, they are 30", 45" and 17 oz. Using the throttle between 50-75% I get 10 to 15-minute running times.

And this is the maiden:

3-ch polyhedral trainer

Fishbonez

What do you do when you are sick and tired of hearing nothing but Corna this and Corona that. Fly something New. So I took my winter build for a test flight. My stratosurfer is completely stock using dragon link as my control and I am testing the LH Sparrow Flight Controller so far I based on the video it still needs a lot of adjusting.

TrashTek86

Not my first maiden of this plane but my first maiden with my new brushless 3S setup inspired by Hujum1's build he shared on youtube.

Luckily the parks were still open during this chaotic time. The park was pretty empty, so social distancing was definitely implemented. lol

Harbor Freight P-51 Mustang
E-Flite Park 400 4200kv motor
Stock 4.4:1 gearbox
8x6 propeller
Tattu 1550mah 45c LiPo
HobbyEagle A3 Super 3 Gyro

Last edited:

bracesport

Legendary member
great flying and a nice park too!

Not my first maiden of this plane but my first maiden with my new brushless 3S setup inspired by Hujum1's build he shared on youtube.

Luckily the parks were still open during this chaotic time. The park was pretty empty, so social distancing was definitely implemented. lol

Harbor Freight P-51 Mustang
E-Flite Park 400 4200kv motor
Stock 4.4:1 gearbox
8x6 propeller
Tattu 1550mah 45c LiPo

JennyC6

Elite member
It was a great day for a maiden. This is my 2nd plane of this size and runs on nitro fuel and has a 4 stroke engine. It took nearly 3 1/2 hours to get her ready to fly but we had a blast. Enjoy

There just ain't nothin' like having a brap plane in the air! And it looks like that one flies damn nice too. Didn't get any vid of it but my FS70 powered 4-star 64 got maidened last week and just yesterday I pushed 15 minutes of hotdogging out of it with 40% or so of a tank left. Such a perfect match.

Little top tip, though: As much as I can dig some Joe Walsh, try to ixnay the background music-ay on glow videos. We kinda wanna hear the engine sing on its own! Also far less likely to get copyright nuked by YT's bots

Fishbonez

There just ain't nothin' like having a brap plane in the air! And it looks like that one flies damn nice too. Didn't get any vid of it but my FS70 powered 4-star 64 got maidened last week and just yesterday I pushed 15 minutes of hotdogging out of it with 40% or so of a tank left. Such a perfect match.

Little top tip, though: As much as I can dig some Joe Walsh, try to ixnay the background music-ay on glow videos. We kinda wanna hear the engine sing on its own! Also far less likely to get copyright nuked by YT's bots

I agree with all your comments. I love a good maiden. I have a "ritual of sorts" before any maiden I must take a picture (may never see it look so good again), announce the pucker factor. It seems when I do that I do not crash a maiden. If I don't well disaster is looming. (superstitious I suppose) LOL.
However I always put a soundtrack to my videos. Why because 1. I think it makes a long video less boring. For example young YTers have very short attention spans and if you don't "entertain" they quit watching. (not that I care really what the young think of me) 2. Everyone has a soundtrack to their lives. (that song stuck in their head) 3. It also helps me to tell the story I wish to convey. Finally its Just a personnel preference and who cares about the copyright bots :) Thanks for watching and I appreciate the constructive criticism.