Show your Warbird mods

WarbirdFan66

@earthsciteach - Thank you, it was an interesting project and im quite happy with the Falcon, its my first flyingwing, and i was a bit surprised how good these things actually fly :D

earthsciteach

I'm working on a scratchbuilt flying wing this weekend. When it is done it will look nowhere nearly as nice as yours!

ands

Wbf, Right, that's it!...your only allowed to post ONE mod of yours per week.! Give the rest of use a chance man!:D
Only joking. She looks amazing, great job:applause: Would love to have a go with that bird myself but
1. I fear she maybe beyond my flying ability at present (never flown a wing)
2. Don't want to have the hassle or disappointment people seem to get when dealing with Hobby King
3. She's a big one and my Girlfriend may well Kill me:black_eyed:

I wonder if its possible to put retracts on her? fat nose wheel could retract into the canopy, Just thinking aloud:cool:

Just as a matter of interest, what's in your hanger at present? I am betting 11 works of flying art ;)

Keep up the amazing work.

Ands

Last edited:

ands

I'm working on a scratchbuilt flying wing this weekend. When it is done it will look nowhere nearly as nice as yours!
Post pic's please, would love to have a go myself but just dont have the skills at present:p

Good luck with the build. :eek:

ands

earthsciteach

I don't have the skills, either. But, that's never stopped me before. I just keep banging into walls until I find the way...
Here's a pic. I plan on hot wire cutting it from 1" foam insulation using templates I create based on an airfoil with a bit of reflex. I just need to retrieve my hot wire cutter from the school where I teach. Pay no attention to the lines. I was working out a way to create a "human-powered" CNC with my Dremel tool. Bounced off that wall and arrived at hot wire cutting.

Attachments

• Flying Wing #3.JPG
    Flying Wing #3.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 41

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
Make plywood profiles of the rib and if your hot wire is not glow-hot, you can use them as guides to get a nice airfoil. I need a cutter myself.

earthsciteach

Yeah, I nabbed coordinates for an airfoil from some website. I put them into Excel and now have two nice graphs to use as my root and tip templates. Excel is tricky, though. You have to outsmart it because it never wants to use the same scale on the y axis as the x axis. I haven't tried downloading the coordinates into AutoCad, yet. That is probably a much easier way to go.

All you need for a hot wire cutter is an old electric model train transformer and a steel E guitar string. Works magnificently!

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
I haven't tried downloading the coordinates into AutoCad, yet. That is probably a much easier way to go.

All you need for a hot wire cutter is an old electric model train transformer and a steel E guitar string. Works magnificently!

AutoCAD is the easiest way to go if you know how to use AutoCAD XD

So I suppose it's a high E string (duh) and how many volts and amps does the power source have?

WarbirdFan66

Flying Wing

Still its a scratchbuilts, and thats a little more complicated then takeing a plane out of the box, puting a motor in and some paint on. I have to say that most of my planes im flying now are only PNP Models or at least KITs. I love scratchbuilts but they are so time consuming. Im looking forward to see the first pictures of your wing when its ready...or maybe even a flightvideo if you do these things too :)

WarbirdFan66

"one" per week

@ands - Thank you, and i promise, only one mod per week, but keep in mind, im an older guy so my memory is not that good anymore. ;)

By the way, and im not sure how much flying experience you actually have, but i think the Falcon is not the worst way to start if you wanna get into Flying Wings. You have to keep a few things in mind when you fly it, but that goes for almost any plane.

And about your Girl, well i always knew that size matters ;), had a few attempts on my live myself while trying to sneak a new plane into the workshop :D.

And i also thought about retracts myself, but actually i planed on going with a standard 2 wheel setup, meaning retracts in the front and a stearable tailwheel, much more stable on grass if you ask me. Well and if you could see the field im flying on you would understand :). I wanna try this on my next Falcon, or maybe going crazy on an x8, a huge flying wing all the fpv guys are crazy about now, maybe as a bomberversion.
And about my Hangar, well needless to say that i have one or two planes standing there, not all ready yet i might add. Im working on a few of them at the time, plus one scratchbuilt i tinker with from time to time, an insideproject if you will :)

WarbirdFan66

...I create based on an airfoil with a bit of reflex....

Looks cool, is this going to be a glider or do you have any plans on a powersetup yet. By the way, i experimented with hotwires too and im not so happy with the result, i went back to hobbyknifes and sandingblocks for the time. :confused:

WarbirdFan66

camo

Warbirdfan...I love that Afrika Korps camo, excellent job.

View attachment 2926

Thanks man, and i stumbled over exactly the same picture when i was looking for s colorscheme for this plane, needless to say that i liked it a lot :).
One other thing, i found out - these desert camos, are actually really really good to see in the air...and believe me i had my problems with camo before while coming in for a landing in front of a treeline, now i really understand the concept :)

DejaD

ARG=almost ready to glue
I am hoping to finish the weathering on the Mustang tonight, get her reassembled this weekend and get pics up here before Monday. I really want to start on the Zero. Much to do...

earthsciteach

The wing will be powered. I may use a 2822 or a 400 size motor. WAY overkill, but they are what I have spare at the moment.

I am not sure of the voltage rating on the transformer. Probably not much more than 12 v and low amps since it is a "toy" train transformer. If you push too much current, the wire will break. I usually just turn the power up till it just melts the wire.

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
I am not sure of the voltage rating on the transformer. Probably not much more than 12 v and low amps since it is a "toy" train transformer. If you push too much current, the wire will break. I usually just turn the power up till it just melts the wire.

So you have a regulating mechanism?

WarbirdFan66

I am hoping to finish the weathering on the Mustang tonight, get her reassembled this weekend and get pics up here before Monday....

Nice, cant wait to see your Mustang, but dont rush anything, a good weathering takes time ;). By the way, the Zero you mentioned is not by any chance a FMS aka. Arifield 1400mm one???

WarbirdFan66

more Power

The wing will be powered. I may use a 2822 or a 400 size motor. WAY overkill, but they are what I have spare at the moment.

Cool, oh and there is never a to big motor, just bad throttle managment. A few extra watts never hurt, they make live just a little more....interesting ;)