Show your Warbird mods

Just read your review, very good. So have you flown it yet?

TLMARK,

Thanks.

Unfortunately, no maiden flight yet. Still waiting on that slow boat with the receiver to come from Hong Kong. I will post a maiden flight review on the build review once said boat finally gets here.

Tally-ho!

WarbirdFan66

weathering...

Colorex -

Thank you. I had fun doing the slight weathering.

I just took a look at your Hurricane, very nice work man, i like the weathering...looks much better that way i think. I really like this plane, havnt seen it in flight yet, well not personally, but it looks like a nice flyer...cheers and thanks for sharin :)

earthsciteach

Fred, that guy is definitely an artist! I haven't seen anyone else work shading into the definition of panel lines the way that he does.

Now, I'm going to put on my styrofoam helmet in case folks start throwing things at me for what I'm about to say.

The way that guy brings in the shading is impressive, but there is a drawback to this, in my not-so-worthy opinion. Shading totally depends on the viewers relationship to an object and light sources. This works great in a drawing or painting because the relationship of the light source, object and viewer never change. But, on an RC plane, those do change and do so constantly. I'm not even talking about while in flight, either. The viewer will either walk around the plane while observing it sitting on a table, pick it up and turn it in all directions. The shading applied to the plane won't change as it should while the plane is being manipulated. This causes the viewers brain to get confuzzled and the hard work that goes into the shading is lost on that viewer. If the builder is going to go to that much effort for the sake of a realistic appearance, it would be better to use the natural contours and shapes of the plane's surface to achieve shading. In his case, he is scratchbuilding, so why not sculpt the proper surface "topography" to achieve proper shading?

Now, I'm putting on my carbon fiber underwear and jump suit for what I'm about to say, next.

In my, again, not-so-worthy opinion, the definition of panel lines is WAY overdone on so many models that I've seen. In the case of ARF foamies, the molded panels lines are too wide and too deep, simply due to the limitations of molding foam. Many of the panel line definitions that I've seen darken the entire molded panel line, causing it to be way out of scale and way to predominant.
Additionally, replicating the appearance of panel lines is more complex than simply highlighting the line with black or other dark color.

Take a look at the picture of the B-25 attached. Looking at the top surface of the bomber, the difference that stands out to the eye is the values of the different panels, not the gap between them. The top surface is the most exposed in terms of light, so the panel lines are drowned out. In the less exposed areas, say below the waist gun, the panel lines are not evident. However, the rivets are and show up brighter than the panels. Again, different values are evident within the panels.

Next, take a look at the A-20. The panel lines are very evident, but actually show up as lighter values. Again, varying values are evident from panel to panel and within any given panel.

This is just my 0.02. BTW-I still think the mods I've seen look good!

Attachments

• A26Midland07.jpg
    A26Midland07.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 31
  • B-25-PICT1738.jpg
    B-25-PICT1738.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:
I just took a look at your Hurricane, very nice work man, i like the weathering...looks much better that way i think. I really like this plane, havnt seen it in flight yet, well not personally, but it looks like a nice flyer...cheers and thanks for sharin :)

WarbirdFan66 - Thank you. I agree; warbirds look better with a little weathering. I will let you know how she flyings once I finally get the chance to get her in the air.

Anthemius

hello Guys

this is my first build Corsair F4U.
it was nice to build it but the fly was totally a Fail..

Anthemius

Attachments

• 32352_10151313568631280_152843110_n.jpg
    32352_10151313568631280_152843110_n.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 35
  • 600221_10151308001291280_1305960739_n.jpg
    600221_10151308001291280_1305960739_n.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 31
  • 197620_10151261883536280_212414131_n.jpg
    197620_10151261883536280_212414131_n.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 26
  • 399232_10151306444441280_1399906937_n.jpg
    399232_10151306444441280_1399906937_n.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 33
  • 65141_10151313568511280_232635106_n.jpg
    65141_10151313568511280_232635106_n.jpg
    116 KB · Views: 30

FlyingMonkey

Bought Another Trailer
Staff member
Admin
Anthemius, at 1:14, the video appears to show that your propeller is spinning in the wrong direction. The whole flight was powered just by the thrust your friend provided.

Also, in both your last photograph, and in a few frames of the video, it looks like your right aileron was deflecting downward, which would explain that hard left roll that occurred in both tosses.

Nice looking plane though!

FlyingMonkey

Bought Another Trailer
Staff member
Admin
earthsciteach... while I agree with you that "shading" in the sense of adding shadow might be a bit futile, in the sense of what jmorgan was doing was more showing wear, and abrasion. Highlights where edges would be worn lighter, or stains where depressions would hold dirt, grime, and oil stains. He also would focus on using different colors where a panel might be replaced, and the paint would be newer. His earlier stuff did focus more on shadow based coloring, but he moved away from that.

Anthemius

hello FlyingMonkey

thank you :)

i think that at 1.14 is an optic illusion, because the prop was in the good direction look close up and you can see it.. :)
but yeah this plane was my first and now I can say that it was poorly constructed. it was slightly spin. that's why now he serves as decoration in my living room.

WarbirdFan66

cool Corsair

...and still its a cool model...very nice build...even it had some problems during its maiden flight...maybe you should go on trying, so you can find out what went wrong with it. For a roll like that, there has to be an explanation...maybe twisted elevators, or loose ailerons or something like that, who knows, anyway, nice work man :)

Anthemius

thx you WarbirdFan

maybe i ll do that. but i prefer learn before how to pilot.. untill now i only crash my planes.. hihi but i keep trying. :)

Anthemius

Last edited:

TLMARK

This is my Parkzone MkIX Spitfire converted to a Mk1a, you would have to be rivet counting Spitfire Geek to spot the mods so I'll list the obvious ones:

1: The fin/rudder was re-shaped to look like a spitfire. (the Pz mk9 is totally wrong)

2: 14mm cut from the nose to reduce the length of the motor section.

3: Air intake is a different shape also this is a working air intake to cool the ESC.

4: Left radiator removed, new oil cooler to replace said radiator.

5: New exhausts 6 into 3, these are working exhaust and allow heat from the motor to escape.

6: Radio mast modded to correct shape and also to carry a radio wire to the fin.

7: Cannons and breach bulges removed and .303 machine gun ports fitted.

8: Tail wheel 100% scale tail wheel. this is removable to convert back if needed.

99_006_zps485a3500.jpg

99_010_zps949bb33e.jpg

99_011_zps80f3525a.jpg

99_002_zps00bdd106.jpg

99_007_zps7a8321f0.jpg

99_019_zps9dd2ffad.jpg

I hope you like it :D

Foam Addict

Squirrel member
Jaw Drop!
That is awesome!
Now all you have to do is take it to a putting green, and get some low angle, bad color shots. You couldn't tell the real thing apart.

Ak Flyer

Fly the wings off
Mentor
thx you WarbirdFan

maybe i ll do that. but i prefer learn before how to pilot.. untill now i only crash my planes.. hihi but i keep trying. :)

Anthemius

Here's a fantastic group of modelers who should have used that advice. They could all benefit from Flitetest's video on flaring and landing.

FlyingMonkey

Bought Another Trailer
Staff member
Admin
Here's a fantastic group of modelers who should have used that advice. They could all benefit from Flitetest's video on flaring and landing.

OW! Some of those were very painful. A few looked like they made the best out of a bad situation. Others look like they made a small problem into a larger one.

Thanks for posting it. I enjoyed it, even though I spent most of the time puckering and cringing.

Ak Flyer

Fly the wings off
Mentor
OW! Some of those were very painful. A few looked like they made the best out of a bad situation. Others look like they made a small problem into a larger one.

Thanks for posting it. I enjoyed it, even though I spent most of the time puckering and cringing.

Some of those guys pulled it out last second, others made it worse. That kangaroo hopping jet was tough to watch. I kept cringing every time it came down knowing it was going to break in half this time.