Show your Warbird mods

TLMARK

My Spitfire obsession

I learn to fly RC planes at the start solely to fly Spitfires. Ever since I was little I loved how they looked and sounded.
and of all the marks of Spitfire the Mk1 to me is the most beautiful.
so anyway please forgive some self indulgent in flight pix of my Parkzone Mk9 to Mk1 conversion;)

I apologize for boring you all:black_eyed:

Last edited:

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
Gorgeous! What mods do you have to do to convert backwards?

And did you really think you were going to bore anyone in the warbird section with this one??

TLMARK

Gorgeous! What mods do you have to do to convert backwards?

And did you really think you were going to bore anyone in the warbird section with this one??
s

Well I hoped not ;)

As for the the backward conversion it's a fair bit, :D
Cut the nose off and remove some of the length, as the nose on Mk1 is a lot shorter.
Reshape the rudder and fin cut off the cannons and wing bulges. Then install copper tubes to represent the 4 .303 machine guns.
Scale tail wheel
Different canopy with external armour windscreen and mirror.
A bigger heaver motor to help counter the change in CoG and also to spin the 3 blade prop.
Different more scale pilot figure. Detailed cockpit and gunsite.
New working air scoop under the nose it feeds air on to the ESC, also new oil cooler under the wing.
New exhausts these also help remove hot air from around the motor
Reshaped radio mast and top nav light.
Bigger tyres on the wheels.

Fair bit I loved doing it, makes for very nervous flights though.

WarbirdFan66

Not boring at all TLMARK, lovely in flight photos by the way, and even im from germany, and we had lots of cool warbirds, my favorite is also the Spitfire (early Typs MkI-III) ...she was maybe not the best or the easiest plane that flew, but man she is definitely the coolest, she has character - and no doubt, she is the prettiest bird of all time...the reason i fell in love with warbirds aswell...so keep them coming :) - thanks for sharing :D

DazDaMan

Elite member
TLMark, I recognise at least one of your Spitfires from another forum (the 234 Squadron Spit in Bob Doe's markings, D-AZ)!! :)

By the way, love that modified Spitfire Ia. Fantastic work! :)

Last edited:

Johan

TLMark,

Looking great and least of all boring.

I've had a love for Spitfires ever since my nephew gave me a 1:32 scale model for my birthday when I was young. This was a plastic model with real rubber tires, a retractible landing gear and also the cute rear-view mirror and a quite detailed cockpit.

When I attended a flightshow a few years later the "British Memorial Flight" did a display:

- The Avro Lancaster
- Hawker hurricane
- and of course the Spitfire

Wow, this air show also involved a hawker Hunter, Starfighter jet, Northrop NF5, F16 , but I tell you I can still hear the sounds of the Spitfire engine!!, it was really awesome!
Maybe we could devise a sound module to reproduce the V-12 Rolls Royce Merlin sound :)

BTW:love the detail on the Arial (antenna)

TLMARK

TLMark, I recognise at least one of your Spitfires from another forum (the 234 Squadron Spit in Bob Doe's markings, D-AZ)!! :)

By the way, love that modified Spitfire Ia. Fantastic work! :)

Yeah Bob Lived close to where I work I have since this picture put the little logo on the pilot door.

he gave me a signed copy of his book too :D

TLMark,

Looking great and least of all boring.

I've had a love for Spitfires ever since my nephew gave me a 1:32 scale model for my birthday when I was young. This was a plastic model with real rubber tires, a retractible landing gear and also the cute rear-view mirror and a quite detailed cockpit.

When I attended a flightshow a few years later the "British Memorial Flight" did a display:

- The Avro Lancaster
- Hawker hurricane
- and of course the Spitfire

Wow, this air show also involved a hawker Hunter, Starfighter jet, Northrop NF5, F16 , but I tell you I can still hear the sounds of the Spitfire engine!!, it was really awesome!
Maybe we could devise a sound module to reproduce the V-12 Rolls Royce Merlin sound :)

BTW:love the detail on the Arial (antenna)

The Merlin has to be the greatest air Engine ever not only for what it did but how it sounded too.

Last edited: