ShrubSmacker Release

Grifflyer

WWII fanatic
Yeah, undercamber doesn't do a lot for speed...
I'm definitely no expert, sadly that was my only idea. :censored:
That's alright we don't start off as Einstein.

Some things I'm going to try is add vortex generators to the wingtips, add a stall fence, and messing around with incidence angles and CG. If those don't work, I'll add more undercamber or add a stall strip to the center of the wing.

First of all, I love this plane! I am on my second version due to trying to fly inverted too low without sufficient experience... but how else am I going to learn, right? :)

Could the tip stalls be related to CG? I have my CG a bit forward of the markings on the plans, at about 40-45mm from LE, and I can´t say that I've had any trouble with tip stalls.

I will try to provoke the plane a little next time a fly and see what happens.

Grifflyer

WWII fanatic
First of all, I love this plane! I am on my second version due to trying to fly inverted too low without sufficient experience... but how else am I going to learn, right? :)

Could the tip stalls be related to CG? I have my CG a bit forward of the markings on the plans, at about 40-45mm from LE, and I can´t say that I've had any trouble with tip stalls.

I will try to provoke the plane a little next time a fly and see what happens.
It's possible, CG location can have an effect on how the plane stalls, which is another thing I was going to mess around with.

I set the recommended CG a little bit on tail heavy side to get more authority out the tail, but after hearing about Stoobiedoo's success with enlarging the control surfaces it sounds like a better alternative.

I'm glad you like the plane!!! Do you have any pictures?

Last edited:

Grifflyer

WWII fanatic
I took her out to fly again with the vortex generators, 1/2 inch added to the control surfaces, and the CG recommended by Beeblebrox, and it flies a lot better, though it was a little gusty so I couldn't tell if the tip stall issue has been resolved.

There's a few things I found out during two flights that need changing
(1) Wider stance landing gear
(2) Stronger Elevator (the plane was rolling whenever I used the elevator, most likely because the center needs reinforcement)

I got some more servos so I'm going to do a rebuild with flaps.

PoorManRC

Master member
Fantastic!!! You're doing Aircraft Research - 1920's style! (And I mean that with the highest respect) (y)(y)
I'll say I'm doing similar...
But I didn't Scratch DESIGN an Airplane.

Admirable Work Brother!! She will end up being amazing.

Grifflyer

WWII fanatic
I just took the new one with flaps out to fly... and man is it a lot easier to slow this down to land!! I didn't check the CG because I was so excited to go try and fly the new one, so I don't know where it was but it still felt a little tail heavy at low speeds.

There was a bit of ballooning whenever I applied the flaps, so I'm going to program in some down elevator whenever I activate the flaps. It tip stalled once, but that was when I banked a bit too much when I was going really slow with full flaps, not a big deal.

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
After seeing how many people have looked for a Mighty Mini sized FT Storch, Bushwacker, or a UMX Timber clone. I decided to take on a quick challenge to make a plane. I've got the basic design done and flying very well, but there are other things I want to try out, and I don't have the parts to test those ideas. So I'm releasing this as a Beta design until all variations have been tested. The design flies really good without any bad tendencies. It can be built with one and a half sheets of foam. As seen from the video she'll fly quite stably even in heavy wind.

I'm horrible with names so I simply titled the plane exactly what it is until I can get a better name. Please post or PM me an idea for a name if you have one.
:UPDATE: I'm going to title the plane ShrubSmacker Thanks to @SquirrelTail

View attachment 129849

View attachment 129850

I also incorporated removable landing gear into the design, I currently have it held in by friction and haven't seen any signs of it trying to come loose.
View attachment 129851

Here's the Maiden Video, it was pretty windy, so much so that the plane blew over as I was trying to take off the first time, and gave me some trouble trying to take off the second time.
Plans: ShrubSmacker Plans V1.0.2
Note: When you fold over the wing, the spar will be blocked by the servos this is by design, simply cut out a small area out of the spar where the servo touched the spar.
I want to test this design with a wing using flaps and ailerons and possibly slats, but I don't have enough servos. If you would like to try building the plane setup that way please PM or post asking for the plans.
I would also like to try building this really light by removing all internal paper and then power it off of the FT A pack with a 2s battery. If you build the plane that way please post or PM me your progress so I can finalize the design.
Just to let you know Grifflyer, I downloaded and printed off your plans and upon quick inspection I found a problem... there is nothing for me to complain about lol! Beautiful job bro. I can't wait to build this and put my own little spins on it. I checked out your maiden on it fighting hurricane force winds. Looks like a solid build and flyer. Thx for the contribution to the community and keep it shiny side up.

Grifflyer

WWII fanatic
Just to let you know Grifflyer, I downloaded and printed off your plans and upon quick inspection I found a problem... there is nothing for me to complain about lol! Beautiful job bro. I can't wait to build this and put my own little spins on it. I checked out your maiden on it fighting hurricane force winds. Looks like a solid build and flyer. Thx for the contribution to the community and keep it shiny side up.
Thanks!!!

Good luck with your build!!

Grifflyer

WWII fanatic
I took her out to fly yesterday, and I'm quite positive I've got the flight characteristics as good as they can get. So now I'm going to work on making this an easier build.
For Example:
Easier servo installation
The option to add flaps after you build the wing
Get the trailing edge of the wing stronger
Lighten up the tail a bit more
More room for the battery

I've already got ideas on how to fix all of these so it shouldn't be too hard.

whackflyer

Master member
Hey @Grifflyer, it appears the link for the plans is down, unless I'm doing something wrong. If you could fix the link or just PM me the plans that'd be great! Planning to make a ShrubSmacker on floats! Thanks!

Attachments

• Screenshot (46).png
    Screenshot (46).png
    129.9 KB · Views: 0