ShrubSmacker Release

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
All right here is the quick maiden:

To me, it was a typical rookie mistake of overcontrolling and dropping the wing. Plus I forgot to put the plane back to low rates (did hi rates for takeoff...didn't use flaps). Got a little anxious I suppose.

Something else I just remembered too...my tail servos are actually smaller (3.7g) than the wing servos (5g). I put all low and hi rates to the same values across the board. I am thinking that I may need to bump the 3.7g up a little to make up for the extra deflection that the 5g ones can do. Just a theory...haven't really verified it to make sure.
"And we crashed" that sucks it took a dive. is it fixable?

basslord1124

Master member
"And we crashed" that sucks it took a dive. is it fixable?

Oh yeah, not too bad at all. Pulled firewall away from powerpod (already fixed that). Barely crumpled nose. Also tore a wing BBQ skewer out of the fuse, still gotta fix it. Probably the worst is the motor. It was making a scraping sound when I got it back home. I don't know a whole lot when a brushless motors "breaks" or has issues, but folks have suggested that it could be worn/bad bearings, loose magnets, etc. I took it apart and didn't really notice anything immediate that stuck out, so I'll tinker with it to find the cause. I have went ahead and ordered a replacement 2300kv motor that will be here next week.

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
Oh yeah, not too bad at all. Pulled firewall away from powerpod (already fixed that). Barely crumpled nose. Also tore a wing BBQ skewer out of the fuse, still gotta fix it. Probably the worst is the motor. It was making a scraping sound when I got it back home. I don't know a whole lot when a brushless motors "breaks" or has issues, but folks have suggested that it could be worn/bad bearings, loose magnets, etc. I took it apart and didn't really notice anything immediate that stuck out, so I'll tinker with it to find the cause. I have went ahead and ordered a replacement 2300kv motor that will be here next week.
The tolerances in a motor can be tight. Sometimes its just a piece of dirt or sand in the windings. I need to replace the bearings on my rimfire as well, finally got past the comfort zone i am good with

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
All right here is the quick maiden:

To me, it was a typical rookie mistake of overcontrolling and dropping the wing. Plus I forgot to put the plane back to low rates (did hi rates for takeoff...didn't use flaps). Got a little anxious I suppose.

Something else I just remembered too...my tail servos are actually smaller (3.7g) than the wing servos (5g). I put all low and hi rates to the same values across the board. I am thinking that I may need to bump the 3.7g up a little to make up for the extra deflection that the 5g ones can do. Just a theory...haven't really verified it to make sure.
It looked like it was flying really smooth before the crash!

basslord1124

Master member
@The Hangar ...Oh yeah, not bad at all. Definitely has the potential for me to keep going with it. You know you have those planes that you can tell in the first moments that it's going to be an uphill battle to get it to fly good whether it's build issues or something else.

Even though my build of this was a little on the rough side, it still performed pretty well. Now just gotta get a few small kinks worked out. Thanks again @Grifflyer ;)

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
@The HangarYou know you have those planes that you can tell in the first moments that it's going to be an uphill battle to get it to fly good whether it's build issues or something else.
Yeah, I definitely had that with the Evangel 4500. V4 finally flew! It flies well, but I think it could fly better with a couple of minor changes so hopefully V5 will be the final version!

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
The last time I made that "joke" I wasn't joking, I'd actually forgotten Griffy didn't design it.
Griffy was needing attention at the time, so i did him a solid. The scale tips both ways. I edited his spitfire vid and got lots of exposure on a few of his articles. Its a give and take relationship.

I am working on a new Kitfox sized to a 2212 motor. 32" WSx 20" length carrying a 1800mah 3s. Just in the drawing up stage now and will start prototyping in the next day or so. Check out the Kitfox thread

Grifflyer

WWII fanatic
Griffy was needing attention at the time, so i did him a solid. The scale tips both ways. I edited his spitfire vid and got lots of exposure on a few of his articles. Its a give and take relationship.

I am working on a new Kitfox sized to a 2212 motor. 32" WSx 20" length carrying a 1800mah 3s. Just in the drawing up stage now and will start prototyping in the next day or so. Check out the Kitfox thread
Speaking of editing vids, on some of my future "release" vids it'd be awesome if you'd be able to edit them.

Crawford Bros. Aeroplanes

Legendary member

I saw that, it was part of the inspiration for my idea. I think I may just design my own mighty mini kitfox.

Crawford Bros. Aeroplanes

Legendary member
Your Draco looks great. If i wasnt so lazy i would have attempted designing one for myself. The kitfox was an easier endevour at the time and just stuck with it
It was just a lot of posterboard work, not my favorite medium either. You did a great job on the Kitfox, "FT simple style" is still one of my favorite build styles because it's just so fun to design and the end result captures all the right details to make a recognizable, great looking airplane.