ShrubSmacker Release

CapnBry

Elite member
Well I tried taking off from concrete a few times but it really wanted to go right, and finding the proper amount of rudder to go with the proper amount of throttle to reach takeoff speed eluded me, so I flipped it into the grass or made a complete circle around me.
shrubs-flip.jpg

I gave up and just hand launched and it flew just like I'd expected. Sort of lumbering but stable at low speeds, and I have way too high rates for fast stuff. My wheels also don't work at all in the grass no matter how much I tried to just barely touch down, it would just flip right over. I also didn't program any elevator to go with the flaps so holy smokes did it want to nose up when I turned them on even half way. I ended up with a somewhat minor crash that caused a bit of an issue:
shrubs-arch.jpg

The wing sort of decided to get smaller by folding up that back tab. It looked fine and flew fine after the crash, but suddenly it snapped up like that, which tilted the wing down, and I thanked my lucky stars that there's plenty of elevator and power to be able to keep flying, bring it around and land safely. I'll have to add some popsicle sticks or something to keep it from folding in and arching up like that. I should have put the back rubber band sticks a little further back probably.

It seems to fly just like the larger Bushwhacker, where you can just point it and give it the proper amount of power to hang at weird angles. I only had about 5 minutes to play with it before I busted it and had to return home but should be a simple fix. I had no tip stall issues even at 0 throttle with lots of up elevator.

Grifflyer

WWII fanatic
Well I tried taking off from concrete a few times but it really wanted to go right, and finding the proper amount of rudder to go with the proper amount of throttle to reach takeoff speed eluded me, so I flipped it into the grass or made a complete circle around me.
View attachment 141433

I gave up and just hand launched and it flew just like I'd expected. Sort of lumbering but stable at low speeds, and I have way too high rates for fast stuff. My wheels also don't work at all in the grass no matter how much I tried to just barely touch down, it would just flip right over. I also didn't program any elevator to go with the flaps so holy smokes did it want to nose up when I turned them on even half way. I ended up with a somewhat minor crash that caused a bit of an issue:
View attachment 141432

The wing sort of decided to get smaller by folding up that back tab. It looked fine and flew fine after the crash, but suddenly it snapped up like that, which tilted the wing down, and I thanked my lucky stars that there's plenty of elevator and power to be able to keep flying, bring it around and land safely. I'll have to add some popsicle sticks or something to keep it from folding in and arching up like that. I should have put the back rubber band sticks a little further back probably.

It seems to fly just like the larger Bushwhacker, where you can just point it and give it the proper amount of power to hang at weird angles. I only had about 5 minutes to play with it before I busted it and had to return home but should be a simple fix. I had no tip stall issues even at 0 throttle with lots of up elevator.
Nice!!

Grifflyer

WWII fanatic
I added Dxf plans to the first post.
I had someone request some Dxf's for this plane, so I thought might as well post them for anyone who has a laser cutter or CNC router.

Grifflyer

WWII fanatic
Well winter is coming and I want to try flying off snow this year, this seems like a good plane to do that with. I want to build a set of floats for this guy. Can anyone point me to, or tell me some basic pointers/guidelines for adding floats to a plane?

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
Well winter is coming and I want to try flying off snow this year, this seems like a good plane to do that with. I want to build a set of floats for this guy. Can anyone point me to, or tell me some basic pointers/guidelines for adding floats to a plane?
Ft went over some tips in this vid. Eager to see what you come up with!

Grifflyer

WWII fanatic
I've also used these https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3323685 Not totally happy with the flotation but I like the way the landing wire mounts into the ski. Figure out that a party hat string would be a good way to hook the tip up about the time the snow melted last spring.
Those are cool, they might not work well at that size because the Shrubsmacker is double the weight of the UMX Timber:eek:

Did they stick at all when the snow wasn't dry?

awoehler

I was thinking they could be scaled up. Wiping them down with a piece of wax paper should helps sticking. I haven't had a good flight with them yet as I was still trying to figure out a good bungee. We should be getting snow here pretty soon though since it's already half way down the mountains.

Grifflyer

WWII fanatic
Here are the floats!! I only made one because I just need to test if the parts fit, and they do. I won't be doing any flying off of snow for a while so I have no need fo two, and I have a few sheets of FT's WPFB from FF that I'm going to use to make a waterproof Shrubsmacker out of.
P1280349.JPG

P1280350.JPG

If you've already build a Shrubsmacker you won't need to make any cuts to install these which is really nice. I'm not going to post the plans because I don't like posting anything to the public unless it's been tested, however if you'd like to test them out let me know and I'll PM the plans to you.

Hondo76251

Legendary member

I'll 2nd the floats on the timber being loads of fun... well worth the $20 IMO.

I've flown several times on the water with them a few years ago but I really liked them on the snow. Of course the only video I have is of me mostly failing... but fun nonetheless.