ShrubSmacker Release

Grifflyer

WWII fanatic
Thanks to @SquirrelTail for naming the plane, and HUGE thanks to (in no particular order) @Beeblebrox @jpot1 @Stoobiedoo and @BATTLEAXE for building and providing feedback on the plane to make it as good as possible.
After seeing how many people have looked for a Mighty Mini sized FT Storch, Bushwacker, or a UMX Timber clone. I decided to take on a quick challenge to make a plane. The design flies really good without any bad tendencies, and can be built with one and a half sheets of foam. It is a fairly simple build and has a huge flight envelope. You can build it as a regular 4ch plane dial back the throws and use it as a step up from the 4ch Tiny Trainer, or you can build it with flaps and you'll have a STOL beast. With a removable wing it is the perfect plane to throw in the back seat. The plane also features removable landing gear so you can still fly if you're at a bumpy field or flying off of tall grass.

P1280267.JPG

P1280269.JPG

P1280270.JPG

P1280262.JPG

P1280697.JPG

PDF Plans: ShrubSmacker Plans V1.1
Dxf: ShrubSmacker Dxf
@Wildthing 120% Plans for 6mm Foam: 120% ShrubSmacker (See post 154 for details)

Videos:

Last edited:

P-loco85

this is a great design.

goodluck luck finalizing the design. I'm sure others will be able to be your beta builders.
would you need to be an experience flyer to pilot this plane?
good luck!

Grifflyer

WWII fanatic
this is a great design.

goodluck luck finalizing the design. I'm sure others will be able to be your beta builders.
would you need to be an experience flyer to pilot this plane?
good luck!
Thanks, I think if you can fly the 4ch TT without any problem then this plane would be a good next step.

Kendalf

@Grifflyer Great design! Amazing how well it flew under such windy conditions!

Just wondering, but it seems that you may not want to add the additional weight of two servos for flaps for a mini sized plane. Why not try programming flapperons? If you already have a 6-channel receiver then you could do that with the hardware you have as is.

Grifflyer

WWII fanatic
@Grifflyer Great design! Amazing how well it flew under such windy conditions!

Just wondering, but it seems that you may not want to add the additional weight of two servos for flaps for a mini sized plane. Why not try programming flapperons? If you already have a 6-channel receiver then you could do that with the hardware you have as is.
While it would add weight flaps will make a pretty big difference from flying without flaps. I've tried flaperons before and I ended up with very limited aileron authority and terrible stall issues, and from what I've seen that seems to be a general trend.
Thanks for the idea though!!!

kdobson83

Ugh... Too many planes I want to build, not enough time or hanger space... Guess I'll have to add this to the waiting list... 😒👍☺️

Brett_N

I've got enough spare parts around, I'll whip one up with flaps. I may already have a wing roughly the same size with flaps, ailerons AND spoilers - I built one for something but don't remember what.

Will be a couple weeks delay though - off to Europe for 2 weeks on Biz...

Quick note - unless I'm missing something plans should say 4x 5g servos ;)

Grifflyer

WWII fanatic
I've got enough spare parts around, I'll whip one up with flaps. I may already have a wing roughly the same size with flaps, ailerons AND spoilers - I built one for something but don't remember what.

Will be a couple weeks delay though - off to Europe for 2 weeks on Biz...
Thanks for helping out!!

Quick note - unless I'm missing something plans should say 4x 5g servos ;)
Yep, you're right thanks for the catch!!