Sig CL-19 Super Chipmunk

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
So, about two years ago, right before my son got me hooked on Flite Test, I was just starting to get back into Line Control after a 25 year absence. I bought a Sig CL-19 Super Chipmunk kit and started building it. I got most of the fuse built and just started on the wing. Then I started building with foam and buying RC equipment. I've thought about going back and building the Super Chipmunk as a control line nitro plane, but I just don't think I can go back to flying in circles anymore.

Does anyone out there have any experience with converting a nitro CL kit to an electric RC? Is this even feasible? I really like the looks of the plane and would love to finish building it, but I want it to be a 4 channel RC plane now Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited:

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
Is converting gas control line to electric RC possible? Heck yes, I'm doing it right now on this build thread. You'll have to consider a few things during the build, such as servo location, creating ailerons and rudder where they don't exist on the plans/kit, battery placement, ESC location, motor mounting, how much power is needed, etc. I've got a lot of old plans from the 60's and 70's which were all for gas, and I'll bet most of them could be considered "over-engineered" for the vibration-free electrics used today. With the Navion I'm building now I'm looking at all of these things as I build, trying to build as light as possible while creating enough room for the electronics.

I don't know what your experience with balsa is, but in general my opinion is that if you haven't built much from balsa, doing a conversion will be difficult as you need to learn how to build strong and light structure without a plan. Anybody can build strong and heavy, but heavy is often the enemy.

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
My experience with balsa is limited to a couple CL kits I built in the early 80's and some scratch built CL planes we made our own patterns for from an original 1960's ear Ringmaster that my uncle had. I'm going to take a stab at converting this one, but I'm guessing I will be working on it off-and-on for a long time. Lots of other foamy designs that I have half-baked that want to get released by spring too.

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
Give it a shot, the worst thing is that it never gets done. Better to be done and (hopefully) flying! :) Post questions and pictures as you go along, I know there are people here with a lot of experience that'd be happy to help.

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
The Nobler is awesome. Is there a free plan around for that one? If so, I could take a stab at designing a foam board version of it...eventually ;)

abieex

Mentor
I'll have to look around but I know I either have or saw a set of plans. Foam would be nice but Im really getting the balsa bug bad! Im afraid I started to move on when Bixler said he wanted to do a balsa build along this winter. That being said I have many foam models downstairs. So many planes, so little time!!! lol

AkimboGlueGuns

Biplane Guy
Mentor
I thought about doing a foam ringmaster or nobler a few times. It actually seems pretty easy, but i have yet to do it.

abieex

Mentor
Since I'm retired I;m dedicating this week to finding a set of plans and either plane will do for now. Maybe even a Flitestreak, remember that one? I'm thinking a solid wing core from blue foam and a foam built up fuse. If anyone has any suggestions shout them out now cause I'm gonna do this. I'll keep you all up to speed and of course I'll share what ever plans I find if wanted.

pgerts

Old age member
Mentor
Does anyone out there have any experience with converting a nitro CL kit to an electric RC? Is this even feasible? I really like the looks of the plane and would love to finish building it, but I want it to be a 4 channel RC plane now Any help would be appreciated.

Many stunt models make good RC.
1st - remove the weight in the outher wing. Make sure right and left wings are equal in length and weight.
Cut the rod connecting the flaps and give each new flap a servo.
Check that the rudder is in line or cut it off and glue it back straight - adding a moveable rudder and a servo.
Give the elevator a servo.

Program your transmitter with flaperon. Adjust the settings so that the flaps goes down when the elevator goes up and (the other way).

You might need a motor with RC-thottle and a new clunk-tank and a servo to the throttle. At least you need a clunk- tank.
Check the CG both lengtways and sideways.

Put up some pictures and text of your project.

PS - sorry did not see the electric conversion - Finding a battery place might be a problem?

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
No worries abieex. Saw your other thread and will be watching with interest.