__

Are you in?

• Total voters

Matthewdupreez

Legendary member
How far are you going to scale it down? I did 41% and it gave me a 20 inch wingspan. I would say a 1806 would be enough for leisurely flying. I have a 1806 on my daughters pelican trainer and it is enough power for loops and such and if you put it on 3s it will scoot. Good and light too.

The first loop i went for in my micro failed then i hit low battery protection about 10 seconds after. The second one worked out. Power is adequate, it just wont rip vertical. But i think that is more of a prop issue than a motor issue.
.. ya.... I would try a 0540 2 bladed prop.... It'll give you more speed...😁.

SSgt Duramax

😂....your daughter's plane?

Yeah, That thing has been cartwheel, rammed into the pavement, and stuck up a tree. I am pretty sure that once I got the kinks straightened up it is the perfect trainer for a 7 year old. I had to move the wing back and servos forward to get good CG, but it flies nice. I half way want to build another one and stick an EDF in the middle.

https://www.instructables.com/EZ-Pelican-Durable-Easy-to-Build-and-Fly-Radio-Con/
.. ya.... I would try a 0540 2 bladed prop.... It'll give you more speed...😁.

Yeah, I am pretty sure the prop is essentially flattening out at 28k rpm. I have a slightly larger lower KV motor coming in. It only weighs 5 grams more. I am still easily under 150g AUW with the landing gear on. I have some more solid props on order. I have found pretty much whatever I order from raceday quads is pretty good.

This is a nice little design you have here. Who needs a tutor? I haven't flown a turbo timber, but I would imagine performance is similar.

I may do a mini (70-80%) or a full sized one next for my daughter when she is ready to graduate to something where she won't till the field with the prop, but this made a dang good micro plane.

Matthewdupreez

Legendary member
Yeah, That thing has been cartwheel, rammed into the pavement, and stuck up a tree. I am pretty sure that once I got the kinks straightened up it is the perfect trainer for a 7 year old. I had to move the wing back and servos forward to get good CG, but it flies nice. I half way want to build another one and stick an EDF in the middle.

https://www.instructables.com/EZ-Pelican-Durable-Easy-to-Build-and-Fly-Radio-Con/

Yeah, I am pretty sure the prop is essentially flattening out at 28k rpm. I have a slightly larger lower KV motor coming in. It only weighs 5 grams more. I am still easily under 150g AUW with the landing gear on. I have some more solid props on order. I have found pretty much whatever I order from raceday quads is pretty good.

This is a nice little design you have here. Who needs a tutor? I haven't flown a turbo timber, but I would imagine performance is similar.

I may do a mini (70-80%) or a full sized one next for my daughter when she is ready to graduate to something where she won't till the field with the prop, but this made a dang good micro plane.
I highly recommend getting APC props, they don't break, and they're rock solid... I've got a 1045 that has crashed 20 times and it's not even dented., Or chipped

I'm Really glad that you like it... I must admit I was worried that it wouldn't fly well, and people would be upset that I released a bad set of plans 👍👍

My brother now wants a micro like yours... Looks like I'm gonna be buying him a little motor for Christmas 🎄:ROFLMAO:

Last edited:

Matthewdupreez

Legendary member
We didnt go fly today bexause it was too windy. When i say we i meant my daughter and I. Winds were solid 8mph gusting to 15.

That being said, i grabbed the microkadet on the way out to the grocery store. That is why there was no video.

This plane was fun. I got about 5 min flight time from each 300mah 2s battery.

Once i got it trimmed and the wind was chilled out, it was hands off. A beginner could fly my micro. I assume the full size would be even easier.

I was able to manage the wind. Yeah, it got tossed around but i was able to maintain positive control the whole time.

I was worried the plane would need more wing. This wasnt the case. You just needed about 1/3 throttle and to lightly toss it over your head and off it went. No fuss no muss.

Stalls are gentle and it doesnt drop a wing.

Things that need improving (not related to the plans).

The little 1306 motor feels like it is gasping for air sometimes. Actually, it doesnt feel like it does much once you push it past 70%. Maybe I need to look at different props.

I broke my 5030 3 blade prop on a rough landing (more on this later). I had a spare 6030 2 blade in my trunk. I threw that on. It flew better on the smaller prop.

Elevator authority needs help. I had made the rudder bigger than the plans indicated, but the elevator control surface is small. When the plane doesnt have any power applied, the elevator is useless. It just goes into a gentle slight nosedive to the ground. Ill probably just glue a foam sliver to the back. I doubt this will translate to the full size. The first time i tried a power off landing I broke my prop.

I put 3 batteries through it and I was grinning the whole time. Now if I can come up with some lightish landing gear it will be a hoot. It will be even more fun with ailerons.

If you wanted a little low maintenance plane you can keep in your car and fly at the park on your lunch break the micro version will do it.
Just a thought....if you're using a 5030 tri prop... Then I would use a 6040 prop 2 blade.... or maybe even a 6045...

Ligbaer

50 Percenter

Ligbaer

50 Percenter
I highly recommend getting APC props, they don't break, and they're rock solid... I've got a 1045 that has crashed 20 times and it's not even dented., Or chipped

I'm Really glad that you like it... I must admit I was worried that it wouldn't fly well, and people would be upset that I released a bad set of plans 👍👍

My brother now wants a micro like yours... Looks like I'm gonna be buying him a little motor for Christmas 🎄:ROFLMAO:
downside of apcs is that they always break on nose overs

Matthewdupreez

Legendary member
hey would you guys be interested in skins for this?? im thinking of this scheme
download (2).jpg

although i think i'll also try make skins like this for it... over the christmas holidays... it'll be a lot of work... but it'll look incredible.....
i would def do the balsa layouts on the skins tooo.....
thumb-sig-seniorita.jpg

Attachments

• download (2).jpg
    download (2).jpg
    8 KB · Views: 0

Matthewdupreez

Legendary member
Just finished making the equivalent of about 4 or 5 sheets of foam...
Now it needs to dry, and then it'll be ready.
So tomorrow afternoon I can start on the plane...

Hopefully I can get it done before the weekend, so I can maiden it on the weekend.
😁🎄

FlamingRCAirplanes

Elite member

Hopefully I can get it done before the weekend, so I can maiden it on the weekend.
😁🎄
Yayayay sounds so nice! I think sometime this week I can start on mine!

Ligbaer

50 Percenter

😁🎄
what do you mean by "making foam"

FlyingTyger

Elite member
hey would you guys be interested in skins for this?? im thinking of this scheme
although i think i'll also try make skins like this for it... over the christmas holidays... it'll be a lot of work... but it'll look incredible.....
i would def do the balsa layouts on the skins tooo.....

I like both. I think a Mark II styled skin would be cool too.

Mark2.jpg

Matthewdupreez

Legendary member
Hard work 😂...

I use a hotwire to cut insulation foam sheets to approx 4mm.
Then I make a flour glue.
Place the sheet of cut foam onto the ground.
Smear glue over the face... Wipe off excess.
Slowly apply roll of brown paper/Kraft paper.

Push down with piece of foam... To smoothen,

Same for other side.

Hang up and leave until completely dry.

Do for as many sheets as you want.

Approx 20 -30 Min per sheets.

That's what I do to make my foamboard