SIG Kadet Mark II Flaps

I'm in the process of rebuilding my 30 year old SIG Kadet Mark II and am thinking about adding flaps. Two questions:

1) Should I bother?
2) Where should I cut the aileron strip to create the flaps? 75% aileron, 25% flaps? 66% aileron 33% flaps? 50/50?

Thanks!

-- Roger

Tench745

Master member
I'm in the process of rebuilding my 30 year old SIG Kadet Mark II and am thinking about adding flaps. Two questions:

1) Should I bother?
2) Where should I cut the aileron strip to create the flaps? 75% aileron, 25% flaps? 66% aileron 33% flaps? 50/50?

Thanks!

-- Roger

Hiya Roger, I'm almost always in favor of tinkering, so the answer to your first question is a strong "yes" from me. Worst that happens is you don't use them. As to your second question, I have a book with those rules of thumb but no access to it at the moment. I'll get back to you on that one.

Tench745

Master member
"The Basics of R/C Model Aircraft Design" by Andy Lennon recommends, for a straight wing, 35-40% aileron and 60-65% flaps. I would err on the larger side for the ailerons because you're reducing the area of the originals so much. You don't want to kill your roll responsiveness too much.

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Definitely appreciate lots of build photos on this! I'm tackling my first 'add some flaps and ailerons' to a 3 channel kit and always like to borrow good ideas :)

Thanks!

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
I've got a Kadet Mk.1 and a Kadet Senior and don't think flaps are necessary. My Senior is average weight and comes in for reasonably slow landings. My Mk.1 is an overweight pig and would benefit from them, but not enough to warrant the effort.

Just my $0.02.