Sig Kadet Senior build thread.

liamnave

flyboy
So I just got a Sig Kadet Senior kit used from joker, so i thought I would start a build thread. I just now opened the box, and my first thought was, Holy Crap is that thing huge! Now I know some of you guys think that 78 inches is nothing, but I've never done anything mare then 48, and never any balsa, so this should be fun. Here are a couple of pics, I'm gonna get started building as soon as I post this. 20170602_200644.jpg
20170602_200533.jpg

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
78" is a big plane, for sure! Even with my work area arranged to handle bigger planes it is still easy to bump into things with a wing or fuselage.

I look forward to your progress, and ask questions if they come up!

liamnave

flyboy
So I built the horizontal stab, I haven't put hinges on it yet, but other then that, at least to me, it looks pretty good. Are you supposed to cover the pieces individually and then put it together, or do you cover the whole plane once its assembled? Here are some pics, if I am doing anything wrong please please tell me because I would hate to crash on the maiden.

Last edited by a moderator:

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
You're off to a good start! Be sure to try and make the cuts as accurate as possible and take your time. If you are sharing your build area you might want to do sanding outside to avoid too much sanding dust in the house.

FlyingMonkey

Bought Another Trailer
Staff member
Admin
Sorry about the editing of this thread. Just thought I'd remove all the content not related to the build.

Thanks for understanding.

-Fred

liamnave

flyboy
Have you decided on an engine? I assume you're still going glow with this build.

Yes I have. I am going to use the evolution engines .46 glow engine. Flying Monkey Thank you for editing the thread, I was actually just going to ask Jimcr120 to do the same.

agentkbl

Illegal Squid Fighting?
Thank you FlyingMonkey. I appreciate your reaction to my request. (sorry if I was a little blunt about it)

liamnave

flyboy
So I started working on the wing, and this thing is giant! One question I had is that it only had plans for one wing, how are you supposed to reverse it to do the other wing? I've done it with foam, but I'm stumped when it comes to balsa. Anyway here are some pics. 20170607_114430 (1).jpg

20170607_114551.jpg

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
I'll check my plans when I get home tonight. Sometimes they'll only show what is different between left & right. This is a very basic (and BIG) wing design, so there may not be much detail shown. If that's the case, be careful at the inside portions of the wings, where they join together. Sometimes the center ribs are angled to give you the proper dihedral. This kit came with some sheeting to cover the center area of the wing, as well as some fiberglass cloth to reinforce it.

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
I'm confused. You should have two plan pages. One for the fuselage and vertical stabilizer and one for the wings and horizontal stab. The plan page I have here shows both wings in full, although it's possible Sig changes the plans over the years. Can you post a pic of your wing plan?