Sig Kadet Senior, Rescue & Rebuild

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
Time over the last few days has been short due to work, but I've managed to pick away at the covering a little each night. The fuselage is almost done, only requiring a little extra trim work, windows, etc. Here is a before & after of the plane as it sits now. I changed the white stripe around the nose to better match the original Sig design, but kept the blue/white with black trim color scheme, which I really like. The blue aft of the windows was also extended a bit as I think it'll look a little better with the big wing size once done, but we'll see how that goes. :)

IMG_4765.JPG

IMG_5793.JPG

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
That's one sharp looking plane! I might try to copy that scheme myself for a project this winter :)

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
Time for windows! The rear side windows were easy - just cut the clear plastic to size and glue in from the inside of the cabin with canopy glue. The front side windows will be done after the windshield is done, and some extra trim work will clean up the look.

For those who haven't used canopy glue, it's amazing stuff! In the pic below it's white and easily seen at the bottom of the windshield, but once it dries it's clear and blends in very nicely. The vertical portions were glued early this morning and it's already mostly clear. It remains a bit rubbery as well, and sticks to wood or covering material nicely.

Speaking of the windshield, I went with thicker plastic than Sig sells, as I really dislike floppy windshields that buckle from prop-wash. It's probably a little overkill for a lightly powered plane like this, but I had the perfect size scrap piece to use. To make the windshield I used some card stock and followed the shape of the blue curve - it's almost like I planned it to work perfectly like this! After a bunch of trial & error, trimming the card stock numerous times, etc., I could transfer the template to the plastic and cut to size. It still required a little trimming, but worked as planned.

IMG_5796.JPG

Last, I invited my wife to the workshop last night (I know, never a good idea...) to ask her opinion on trim for the fuselage. When I got the plane it had a bunch of blue trim on the tail leading edges and elsewhere, and I wasn't sure if I wanted to add that back to the design or leave it plane. She liked the cleaner look without it, so I'll agree and leave it off, other than maybe adding "Sig Kadet Senior" text somewhere later on. But it still looked a little plain, so I added a thin black pinstripe around 3/4 of the plane, as seen above. I think that'll be all it really needs.

Oh, and I test-fit the wing to see how the extended blue window graphics would look and I think my idea of making them larger to be more visible under the wing will work. More on that later.

nhk750

Aviation Enthusiast
Looking really nice. I have a quick question about canopy glue. My windscreen has a small separation in the top corner, when I glue it on with canopy glue will the glue hold that crack together? Its on a corner where its glued to the fuse but Im hoping it wont crack further. I like the pinstriping too, your good at keeping it spaced right and straight.

Wow, I just noticed your drill bit collection in the background, nice!

Last edited:

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
You never know when you need a size "H" drill bit! :) Yup, there are metric, imperial, and lettered sizes in that set. I used to do a lot of custom metal fabrication work in my garage and the lettered sizes were most used when drilling & tapping holes. The set is from Harbor Freight, and although it's cheap, it works perfectly well for RC work (far better than when I used to drill steel regularly).

On the glue question, is it a crack in the plastic or is it where two pieces come together to form a seam? If it's a crack, maybe...? I haven't tried this before, but in some material if you want to stop a crack from "running" you can drill a small hole at the end of the current crack, which effectively takes stress out of the end of the crack (insert smart language here to better explain it). Can you post a pic?

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
A bit of sanding and patching was still needed on the wing, but that work went pretty quickly, so I could take a bit step towards finishing the plane: covering it!

As is typical, covering of the wing starts with the bottom. The color break on this one is pretty simple, and is done right at the front spar where the darker blue overlaps the lighter white. I might add a small bit of blue to transition smoothly to the side color - a game-time decision. It looks like I'll have enough blue to finish the wing, but just ran out of Hobby King White after doing the bottom of the wing. However, I have enough white of another brand so I'll have to test it and verify that it's a close enough match before using it.

IMG_5801.JPG

nhk750

Aviation Enthusiast
I tried some canopy glue in the crack but it didn't hold very good. I think once I get it glued and clamped on the fuse it will be ok though. Here is a pic of the crack, but since it on the fuse corner where it will be glued I dont think it will be an issue.

Funny, we are almost at the same stage of our builds, but your a little ahead of me because I went camping this weekend...

IMG_3245.JPG

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
Getting closer, although this may be all I'm doing for the day. The plan was to finish the entire wing, but a buddy needed help on his big gasser and that took more time than expected. One leading edge, some trim, some pinstripes, etc to go. This should easily have me ready to do a maiden flight next weekend, although there is a swap meet on Sunday that'll limit my available time. :)

IMG_5802.JPG

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
Aw heck, I couldn't leave it that close to done-ish with a couple hours left in the day. Another hour and the bulk of the covering on the wing is now done. I had enough pinstripe to do the top of the wing, but need more to finish the bottom. Now I can go to bed happy! :)

IMG_5803.JPG

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
Ah, good times... I spent about 7 hours driving round-trip for work yesterday, fixing problems created by negligence of others, only to get home to find we've been getting charged for premium cable channels that were cancelled months ago. Literally 2 hours of phone time was required to straighten it out and get the charges off our bill. :mad: Stuff like that really makes me want to cut the cord finally!

So that left no real time to work on the Kadet, although I did head down to the shop to get a little done so I could decompress after a loooong day. The location for the battery tray has finally been nailed down, so I epoxied in the 1/8" ply that the battery will sit on. It'll be held in place with both Velcro and a battery strap, although I'm not sure if I'll be able to install it and tighten the strap through the bottom hatch or not yet. The worse case scenario is that I have to remove the wing to install/remove the battery, but that isn't a huge issue as I should get decent flight times with the chosen battery pack. Either way, the hatch will give me good access to the steering servo as needed.

nhk750

Aviation Enthusiast
I had a similar issue with my TCraft, tight fit and little headroom. I was going to use Velcro, but that would have made it almost impossible to move the battery around to adjust cg and even install it, so I had a brain cell working and used some 1/4" thick closed cell foam on the tray and it works perfectly. Just slide the battery in, strap down and it doesn't move at all as the foam is really grabby and cushy. P.S., Right now I really hate work and all that other life stuff as it messes with my build time!

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
As this Kadet is set up, there is actually a TON of room for the battery, it's really just a matter of installing it, and if it'll be done through the hatch or by removing the wing. From it's expected spot in the fuselage I have about 4" of open space towards the nose and about 6" towards the tail that is wide open! :) Moving the servos back about 4" from their original location really helped open up space for me, and hopefully I'll be able to install the pilot and not have him in the way of the battery. Hopefully I'll be able to get the battery secure through the bottom hatch, I'll know soon enough though.

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
Well, it looks like the Kadet is ready to go. I programmed the TX, did a nut & bolt check, added a strap for the battery, and made a few other adjustments. It was also given a dry run without the wing on the driveway to make sure everything appears correct. Assuming weather is good I'll hopefully maiden it this weekend, and Saturday is looking promising!

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
Oh, and since this plane is done I think I'm going to tackle another much quicker project that should only take a couple weeks. It's another Sig Kadet! :). This time an original Kadet Mk.1 that I got with a few other planes last year. It mainly needs electronics, some minimal repair to the covering, wheels, and MAYBE relocation of the servos to make room for the battery. I already have a motor and ESC that will do 3-4 cell batteries and the servos, wheels, etc. This build may be finished without actually buying any more parts, which would be nice. About all I may need is a pack of wheel collars. More to come!