Silver foil backed foam board.

Michael G

True or false, is there such a thing as foil backed foam board other than home insulation at lowe's, which is completely wrong for the job.
If it does exist where can I find it. I think both ft mustangs would look awesome.

jamboree1

True or false, is there such a thing as foil backed foam board other than home insulation at lowe's, which is completely wrong for the job.
If it does exist where can I find it. I think both ft mustangs would look awesome.
There is, it's used as a soundproofing for laminate flooring. However it's all printed out with grid squares for cutting measurements rendering it useless for what you want it for. You can see it yourself at lowes or home depot, look for the wood flooring section, it's there.

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
You could try the foil tape on FB. The tape is used to seal heating ducts.

Captain Video

I put that stuff on the leading edge of my wing on my HZ super Cub and it did make it slightly nose heavy. I had to adjust for the increased weight. Very durable though.

Piotrsko

Master member
Chrome moneycoat trim sheets? A lot of crafty places have a 1mil chrome sheets sticky backs, I think for the card crafters

Michael G

What about replacing the foam board paper with silver x-mas wrapping? Like you would for skins. The stuff is almost chrome.....

Headbang

Master member
Any foil backing or tape will cause severe issues with radio signal. Better to use paint, but nothing with actual metal in it.

Piotrsko

Master member
I believe the Monocote® chrome trim doesnt have metal in it. Made a whole airplane out of it and except for ravens hating it, did not have radio problems

Michael G

Earlier in this thread I mentioned using plain silver x-mas wrapping paper to simulate the shiny aluminum surface of the p-51.
I just so happened to find such wrapping paper at party city it cost a whopping $4,99....+tax, it's NOT celo wrap it's paper. The ft mustang fuse fits perfectly the short way w/o having to unroll the hole or half of the roll. This stuff looks great, when using this paper treat it like window tint make sure your table is clean and smooth scrape off any hot glue drips because This stuff shows every imperfection and use a scap piece of foamboard w/ straight edge as a squeegie start in the middle and work your way the edges
1122191758.jpg
1122192027.jpg
1122192042.jpg

Michael G

Well I finished the silver p-51 I didn't put any gear in it as of yet. Don't know if I will this was more or less a practice run to see how it look and a learn a technique. The silver wrapping paper looks great but it does show every mistake including not taking off my bulky engagement ring which left indentations in the surface when smoothing things out so use a piece foam board. All in all not a bad look just keep in mind this stuff is not forgiving if you crease, wrinkle or push it down on hot glue bumps its gonna show.....BIG TIME. So if you can have a second pair of hands close by. I figure thi would look awsome on either p51as well as p47, b17, b24, b25 and the New p38 so if you try this post pics. 😃