Simonk aficionados..

IBeHoey

The Warranty Voider
Until recently, I have only used Plush ESCs equipped with SiLabs chips running BLHeli firmware. Using the BLHeli tool, I'm able to adjust all kinds of parameters (motor timing, PWM frequency, min/max throttle, ect.) but my favorite feature was being able to change motor direction. I really liked this feature as it allowed me to experiment with different prop directions without having to re-solder or use bullet connectors on the motors (every gram matters).

Now my question, is there a similar tool available for the Simonk firmware? I just recently got done flashing a batch of F-30a's that I plan to use on a new build and I have yet to find a comparable tool that'll let me tweak these settings. From what I've come to understand, and please correct me if I'm wrong, but if I want to change the motors direction in Simonk, the only option I have (aside from editing/recompiling the firmware itself) is to just reflash the ESC with the "Reverse" version of the firmware?

IBeHoey

The Warranty Voider
Ahh, seeing that thread was bad! How can i expect to get anything done now when all I want to do is go piece together an old quad and try to fly it inverted. :eek:

Hmm, I wonder how well that would work on a tri?

Using the kkMulticopter flash tool, I just reflashed an ESC with bs_nfet_reverse.hex and it did in fact change the motors direction. I'm guessing the only other way to change the perimeters I mentioned above is to just edit the code itself?

crlock

i have a question, maybe a dumb one.
Is it absolutely necessary to reflash your escs? i have 3 plush 40, sealed in the pack and a programing card, just waiting to be mounted, but i've been wondering, do i really need to reflash them?

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
Is it absolutely necessary to reflash your escs? i have 3 plush 40, sealed in the pack and a programing card, just waiting to be mounted, but i've been wondering, do i really need to reflash them?

Newer Plush ESC's can't be flashed. You do not need to reflash them. It will fly fine. But it will fly better if you do use SimonK ESC's.

IBeHoey

The Warranty Voider
Newer Plush ESC's can't be flashed. You do not need to reflash them. It will fly fine. But it will fly better if you do use SimonK ESC's.

I've heard rumors of this, doesn't it have something to do with them locking the atmel chips?

Cyberdactyl

Misfit Multirotor Monkey

It's not critical, but your flying experience will be a little richer, and the fidelity of flight will be better. Here's a post I use for questions such as yours. It's by SimonK, talking about why you should flash. The whole thread is interesting, but that post should make it clear.

If you don't at least do the minimum, such as use a programming card, you are at high risk of having a major crash since it reprograms the ESC to a slow shutdown, turns off brake and other stuff I'm not familiar with since I have never used a card.

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
I've heard rumors of this, doesn't it have something to do with them locking the atmel chips?
I think so. At least from what I've read, more and more ESC's are being shipped with reset locked, which in effect makes them un-flashable.