Simple and cheap hand drill tool

cdfigueredo

Elite member
Until yesterday I was making small holes in plastic and wood pieces by hand, using an old broken scissors attached to a wooden handle because I don't have a drill.
As you can imagine, it's a hard work and the finish is quite inaccurate. :cautious:

Thanks to a gift from a great friend ;), I received a set of small drill bits for this kind of work. And because I don't have a drill, I had to solve how to mount the bits on a hand tool.

Here is what i made:
I had in my possession a HobbyKing Modelling Knife. They are not of high quality, but for the price they do their job quite well.
1.jpg
To be able to hold a drill with this tool, it was necessary to modify it, making a small hole in the center with the smallest drill.
2.jpg
Fixing the bit to a bench screw and manually turning the Modelling Knife I gradually made the hole. This Knife is made of a soft aluminum, so it didn't take long.
3.jpg 4.jpg 5.jpg
The bits fit perfectly and do their job very well.
6.jpg 7.jpg 8.jpg

The time it takes me now is much shorter and the finish is perfect. :cool:
For small jobs, the tool is worth it and simple to make.(y)

I hope this could be useful for someone.;)

Last edited:

cdfigueredo

Elite member

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Great solution though! Can still use the handle for knife blades too - nicely done! :D

I also see some amazing hand made tools from our builder friends in Russia - I'll see if I can dig up a couple links to some ideas that might be helpful and inspiring! :D

cdfigueredo

Elite member
Great solution though! Can still use the handle for knife blades too - nicely done! :D

I also see some amazing hand made tools from our builder friends in Russia - I'll see if I can dig up a couple links to some ideas that might be helpful and inspiring! :D

Yes Rockyboy, in fact, i am now using it as a knife... this mod does expand the posibilities of use it.
Will like to see those links... i spend hours searching for ideas.
Thanks for that.