Simple Beech Staggerwing

Mr NCT

Site Moderator
While I'm down sick (not covid but feel rotten) I thought I'd start on a "simple" style Staggerwing like the FT Simple Cub. It also gives me more time to work with Fusion 360. Hope you appreciate the self control it took not to title this thread "Staggerwingly Simple" or "Simply Stagger(w)ing".
Staggerwing v3.jpg

churchjw

I like this. Looking forward to you build/fly it.
I am hoping to develop a Staggerwing design this winter.

Mr NCT

Site Moderator
Working on version 2 (after I did half a roll on low rates only 2 mistakes high with V1). Came up with this idea for mounting landing gear. It's an amalgam of lots of different methods I've seen on various posts here and elsewhere. I printed a rectangle 3/16" thick to match the FB and extruded a slot for the 3/32" piano wire and some holes for wire ties. I positioned it so that it's supported by the front fold of the wing and the double spar. I'll let you know if it holds up!

IMG_3932.JPG IMG_3933.JPG

Mr NCT

Site Moderator
Staggerwing V2.0 is done. Changes from V1.0: Less elevator area, mounted rear servos more flush to fuselage, added fixed gear and flaps on the lower wing. This one's painted with thinned latex samples from Home Depot. It works great as long as you THOROUGHLY wipe excess poly from the foam board. If you don't do a good job you get checking and orange peel like you see on the top wing. AUW with "C" power pack size motor and 2200 3s battery is 858g, 31" long, 36" wing span.

IMG_3946.JPG IMG_3947.JPG IMG_3948.JPG

Mr NCT

Site Moderator
Here's the plans. I'll be posting the stl files for the 3D struts, cowl, and gear mounts soon. If you build on please post pics and videos.

Attachments

• Staggerwing V2.PDF
    161.6 KB · Views: 0

Yankee2003

Staggerwing V2.0 is done. Changes from V1.0: Less elevator area, mounted rear servos more flush to fuselage, added fixed gear and flaps on the lower wing. This one's painted with thinned latex samples from Home Depot. It works great as long as you THOROUGHLY wipe excess poly from the foam board. If you don't do a good job you get checking and orange peel like you see on the top wing. AUW with "C" power pack size motor and 2200 3s battery is 858g, 31" long, 36" wing span.

View attachment 229378 View attachment 229379 View attachment 229380

I was wondering if you used Windex to thin the latex paint? Do you thin it 50% and spray at 30 psi?
The model looks very clean. The craftsmanship shows through.

Mr NCT

Site Moderator
I was wondering if you used Windex to thin the latex paint? Do you thin it 50% and spray at 30 psi?
The model looks very clean. The craftsmanship shows through.
Thanks! I tried to make it a very simple build but then I had to go overboard with paint. If you can build the simple cub you can build and fly this.
I'm still experimenting with the latex and haven't tried using Windex - I'll give it a shot next time. I've tried diluting 50% with both distilled water and then with rubbing alcohol and got the same results with both. I'm really impressed with how quickly it dries and how well it adheres. I've had no lifting at all even on the bad areas.

Yankee2003

Thanks! I tried to make it a very simple build but then I had to go overboard with paint. If you can build the simple cub you can build and fly this.
I'm still experimenting with the latex and haven't tried using Windex - I'll give it a shot next time. I've tried diluting 50% with both distilled water and then with rubbing alcohol and got the same results with both. I'm really impressed with how quickly it dries and how well it adheres. I've had no lifting at all even on the bad areas.

All good things to hear. I can’t wait to get the airbrush out and try the latex paints.
Thank you for spending your time to help me out.

Mr NCT

Site Moderator
Plans V2.1 are in the resource section. Made some minor changes after the last build and spiffed them up a bit. It needs about 1° right and 2° or 3° down on the thrust angle. Here's the maiden - exciting launch and uneventful landing bracketing a dull speck flying in circles video.

Yankee2003

Who doesn’t love the Staggerwing? You have done an excellent job of capturing her beauty.
You should be proud of the work you have done there.

luvmy40

Elite member
So, when I went to print the struts, the .stl comes out as both struts grouped and is larger than my Ender 3 Pro print bed. It won't let me ungroup and shrink the foot print.

Mr NCT

Site Moderator
So, when I went to print the struts, the .stl comes out as both struts grouped and is larger than my Ender 3 Pro print bed. It won't let me ungroup and shrink the foot print.
Here is one strut, sorry about that. It prints best using a brim to keep the points from curling. I used some 3mm diameter skewers to pin them inside the wing for easy removal.
IMG_4014.JPG

Attachments

• strut v3 v4.stl
    170.7 KB · Views: 0

luvmy40

Elite member
Here is one strut, sorry about that. It prints best using a brim to keep the points from curling. I used some 3mm diameter skewers to pin them inside the wing for easy removal.
View attachment 230070
Thank you sir! I don't have any CAD software loaded on anything and haven't done any 3D modeling in many years anyway. Did you do these on Fusion?