Help! Simple Cub assembly problem out of the gate. Hole for 3 engine wires blocked. Followed youtube instructions and this is what I have. Suggestions?

Greg C

20191021_104903.jpg

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
Yea you are gonna want to take the firewall off the pod and re-align it flush to the bottom and have it hang over the top rails of the pod by the remainder 1/4" or so. You will need the holes in the top to line up to the dowels/skewers that index into the firewall from the underside of the engine bay on the plane.

You can cut and peel the tape off and reheat the glue with the tip of the glue gun, assuming you used hot glue and re-position to the correct placement.

Welcome to the forums BTW (y)

cranialrectosis

Faster than a speeding face plant!
Mentor
My other hobby is KSP.

I would probably get out a paper hole punch and Kerbalize it!

I say this knowing that if it were mine, the firewall has only a 50/50 chance of surviving the maiden anyway. :p

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
@BATTLEAXE called it. It's gotta be flush on the bottom, so the top sticks up and the skewers on the fuse can go through the holes. Don't worry, it's a pretty easy mistake to make. Did that one, myself. ;)

If you're having trouble melting the glue, just use a sharp, thin blade and cut between the firewall and powerpod. It's pretty simple just to build another powerpod, but if you're careful, you won't have to. Once again, been there, done that.

Welcome to our Forum Family! Keep us posted, so we can help where you need it, and cheer you on whether you need it or not. :)

Greg C

Thanks for the replies. I did what the video said and let it hang over the top the thickness of the foam. Still way off. I guess I'll cut the tape around it, try to soften the glue and see if I can remove then reseat so that the hole is clear.
The engine on the video for my plane is different from the one supplied also. More uncertainty. Wish I had some written instructions and prints. I'm working with my grandson and he is beginning to lose interest. I shall continue on.
I'll keep you posted.

Greg C

@BATTLEAXE called it. It's gotta be flush on the bottom, so the top sticks up and the skewers on the fuse can go through the holes. Don't worry, it's a pretty easy mistake to make. Did that one, myself. ;)

If you're having trouble melting the glue, just use a sharp, thin blade and cut between the firewall and powerpod. It's pretty simple just to build another powerpod, but if you're careful, you won't have to. Once again, been there, done that.

Welcome to our Forum Family! Keep us posted, so we can help where you need it, and cheer you on whether you need it or not. :)
Thanks. I was just doing what the video told me to do.

Greg C

Yea you are gonna want to take the firewall off the pod and re-align it flush to the bottom and have it hang over the top rails of the pod by the remainder 1/4" or so. You will need the holes in the top to line up to the dowels/skewers that index into the firewall from the underside of the engine bay on the plane.

You can cut and peel the tape off and reheat the glue with the tip of the glue gun, assuming you used hot glue and re-position to the correct placement.

Welcome to the forums BTW (y)
Thanks. I did use a glue gun.

Greg C

The power pod should line up with the bottom of the firewall. I can’t see the power pod foam, but it appears that you lined it up at the top of firewall. You could drill a new hole like @cranialrectosis suggested or rebuild the power pod.
Good luck!
I let it hang over the top the thickness of the foam as directed in the YouTube video. I'm going to try to remove it, move it up to clear the hole and reglue/tape.

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
Thanks. I was just doing what the video told me to do.
No worries. Their videos are good but not perfect. Just like the rest of us. ;)

I let it hang over the top the thickness of the foam as directed in the YouTube video. I'm going to try to remove it, move it up to clear the hole and reglue/tape.
The foam will constrict the hole a little bit. The important thing is that the firewall is flush with the bottom of the powerpod, and the sides are near flush. That way everything fits like it's supposed to.

Keep it up! I'm looking forward to your maiden flight! :)

checkerboardflyer

BattleAxe has it exactly right. Looks like you have the firewall glued too low on the power pod. Drilling a hole or softening the glue should work. It may be less work to just build a new power pod and firewall. Here is a solution that worked for me. New firewall with larger hole to pass the motor wires and blind nuts on the back of the firewall to make it easier to remove the motor just in case. Also allows you to put washers under the motor mount to adjust down and right thrust. Link to a post on my blog with more detail HERE. More tips and resources for foam board R/C modelers HERE. Shown is a firewall for the FT Scout which does not use BBQ skewers. That's why no holes at the top of the firewall. Just add them in for the Cub.

Attachments

• 6-firewall-front-fbf.jpg
    6-firewall-front-fbf.jpg
    255.4 KB · Views: 0
  • 7-firewall-back-fbf.jpg
    7-firewall-back-fbf.jpg
    227.9 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Greg C

BattleAxe has it exactly right. Looks like you have the firewall glued too low on the power pod. Drilling a hole or softening the glue should work. It may be less work to just build a new power pod and firewall. Here is a solution that worked for me. New firewall with larger hole to pass the motor wires and blind nuts on the back of the firewall to make it easier to remove the motor just in case. Also allows you to put washers under the motor mount to adjust down and right thrust. Link to a post on my blog with more detail HERE. More tips and resources for foam board R/C modelers HERE. Shown is a firewall for the FT Scout which does not use BBQ skewers. That's why no holes at the top of the firewall. Just add them in for the Cub.
Thanks. I was trying to follow the Flite Test YouTube assembly video and it shows the wire routing hole on the other side. I'm guessing it doesn't matter after seeing yours.