Simple Cub Flight #3

dylanbeaudette

After a couple of crash landings and repairs, we finally got our Simple Cub out for another flight today. We had been practicing with the FT Airliner in hopes that we would have a better handle on this larger plane. The Simple Cub was configured in 3 channel mode (elevator and rudder) with a FrSky S6R receiver.

A couple of lessons learned:
  • fly over grass!
  • take a couple of small test flights to get the trim set
  • landing on the grass requires a lot more elevator vs. the FT Airliner!
  • rudder control should have been on the left-hand side
For next time, I'd like to make a couple of changes:
  • velcro-down the battery and receiver
  • figure out how to set gross trim adjustments in the transmitter model, outside of the standard trim adjustments
  • figure out how to enable the stabilization system

Attachments

• before.jpg
    before.jpg
    749.8 KB · Views: 0
  • after.jpg
    after.jpg
    862.8 KB · Views: 0

Phin G

Elite member
Same, however i flew 6 channel and it was a bit overkill. Going out to fly again when weather clears up and new props arrive. But remember: Build, fly,crash

bisco

Elite member
thanks for the tips! i'm getting close to flying my simple cub without stabilization. is it not fairly self leveling like most high wings?

dylanbeaudette

It should be, I think that my biggest mistakes were not enough throttle and attempting to fly in too small of an area. Also, my controls were not configured properly... was working the rudder with the ailerons controls (whoops). While it was in the air the performance (power / agility) was incredible.

Currently having a lot of trouble getting my RX/TX to cooperate: https://forum.flitetest.com/index.p...aranis-lite-inconsistent-receiver-bind.68021/

dylanbeaudette

I'm seriously considering leaving the rudder controls on the ailerons side. Turning with only rudder controls is hard, especially when it is on the same "stick" as the throttle.

bisco

Elite member
I'm seriously considering leaving the rudder controls on the ailerons side. Turning with only rudder controls is hard, especially when it is on the same "stick" as the throttle.
i have the same problem. spent to much time learning on a 3 channel, rudder being on the right.
i can't get my brain to use my left to steer, unless i keep consciously telling myself. consequently, a lot of tip stalls and unintended rolls/cartwheels.

TheFlyingBrit

Legendary member
A tip to mastering the rudder, is to taxi the model around the field use a full battery if necessary. Once your left hand gets use to steering your model and using the throttle (assuming mode 2), the muscle memory starts to kick in and it becomes second nature.

TheFlyingBrit

Legendary member
If its any consolation I had the same issues with the Cub when I first started flying it, the tip stalls where a pain, when you turned in for the approach it use to drop a wing unless you kept the throttle on. It did more squirming around on take off, than a woman trying to get in to a tight pair of leggings. It didn't have great glide characteristics either, even after getting the CG spot on.
I found several improvements that did work:
The motor was the first thing, I swapped it over to a Sunnysky 1250kv, this gave more power and therefore improved throttle control.
After advice on the forum, I added 1mm of increased incidence lifting the rear of the wing and bent the landing gear forward by 20mm, to reduce nose over on landing.
The take offs are still a bit squirrely, but I find getting the throttle open as quick as I can and getting it up in the air quickly is the best option. Once its up there it flies great, can't complain about that part.
Landing, I don't cut the throttle below 1/3 until I complete the turn, then start reducing power once I am on the straight approach.
Personally I think the model would benefit from a slightly elongated wing to improve the glide characteristics and add plenty of under camber at the wing tips, this would help counter act the tip stalling.

bisco

Elite member
most ft wing loading is an issue unless you like flying fast. but for beginner planes like the tiny trainer, it needs more wing area.
i hope the tutor is better

Last edited:

boogieloo

dylanbeaudett: That is a nice club you guys got. Stabilizers are the easy parts. Adjust the lever on the left. When you throw it, do you throw it like a baseball throw or just carnival throw as in hit the baseball in the big bottle? Just wondering how the airplane might react then. This looks like one of the kits i looked at at Flite Test Store. Will you fix it? Or throw it away? You might want to look at more videos on how to on model airplanes. They tell what is up. And what is not. It helps.

Last edited:

TheFlyingBrit

Legendary member
Try moving the CG forward 1/4 inch or 5mm.
I setup the CG exactly where they suggested on the plan for my initial flights, but wasn't happy with how it flew. Then I experimented moving it forwards and backwards in small increments but it made the performance worse, so its back where the plan suggested.

I built the Bushwacker and modified it slightly with a very small dihedral rather than flat wing (tip off you tube). It performed amazing and was a far more stable plane than any of the FT planes I have built previously or since.
Unfortunately I trashed it earlier this year, I was getting carried away with some aerobatics. Went into a large loop but it wouldn't pull out of the dive for some reason and ploughed into the ground. It demolishing everything from nose to wing leading edge, motor and ESC survived but prop and nose cone where wiped out.
I could rebuild it I guess if the mood took me, but more tempted to build another from scratch. I had separate ailerons and flaps that was a good design choice, it was a great plane and sadly missed :cry:.
Definitely a must build plane very under rated, it makes a great trainer too with reduced throws. With mid and high rates it's a great plane for throwing around the sky and having fun with and very forgiving.
I never did actually discover why it wouldn't respond in that dive, but the AR620 receiver was winking at me with an orange eye I think that had something to do with it (I should have installed an X6R receiver instead :unsure:).

boogieloo

:D Do they have training sessions at this store where you got your airplane? Like a club. We have a hobby company, but I don't know if they have a club like training or something to that effect. Certification. Paper work to put into play for full time hobby goers. This is just for legal purpose. Just in case something comes up, they'll ask. Certification or training. Something legit to have on paper and not just i know how to do this.

I use a Flysky 4 channel transmitter and receiver. i think this enough for now. And I ordered mines from eBay, and from China. Non-sense. The engineers got up more early than the builders or the hobby fliers. I think I'm getting the hang of this hobby.

Last edited:

TheFlyingBrit

Legendary member
In the UK all legitimate model flying clubs expect members to join the BMFA (British Model Flying Association), to which you pay an annual fee covering your liability insurance. You are also required to be registered with the CAA (Civil Aviation Authority) both as an operator and flyer, an examination and fee apply.
Before you can fly solo in most clubs you are expected to pass a basic proficiency test, or hold a BMFA grade 1 certificate. The evaluation is usually carried out by a qualified club appointed trainer, who is accredited to the BMFA.
If you pass a basic proficiency test, you will probably be expected in time to take and pass your grade 1 certificate through the BMFA. Some clubs don't use a basic safety/proficiency test and require a grade1 pass before they allow members to fly solo. The grade1 examination is conducted with a qualified examiner appointed by the BMFA. The next stage is grade 2 which incorporates basic aerobatics and is aimed at intermediate level fliers.

Unfortunately I have no idea what happens in other countries or what expectations they have in there clubs. However, I would expect most new members/learners would initially be evaluated and trained using a buddy box system. The same as in the UK with a qualified trainer, until they pass an entry level test of safety and competency.

boogieloo

You guys ever saw the show War games? Where the professor was flying his model bird. Washington. This was in 1980 and already in full force was model airplane goers by then. Anyway, that thing flying had on a voice controls too. From the box. This was in the 1980s. But I'm not sure if they were around then. So that's something else. Technology.