• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Simple Cub or Storch?

Hello,
I'm still quite new to the hobby and was wondering whether to get the Simple Cub or Storch. I've read good and bad things about both of them so I find it difficult to decide which one to pick. I have a very tiny amount of experience with RC planes so consider me a newbie.

Thanks for the replies,
Greg

basslord1124

Still getting my Cub perfected (my last motor crapped out on me), but I have experience with the Storch. Storch is a great flyer. In the end though, I'm sure they both will be fine. And as @Merv pointed out, the overall space you need (for your flying field or car) could be a determining factor.

Still getting my Cub perfected (my last motor crapped out on me), but I have experience with the Storch. Storch is a great flyer. In the end though, I'm sure they both will be fine. And as @Merv pointed out, the overall space you need (for your flying field or car) could be a determining factor.
What about their respective crash resistance? I've seen the Cub hit the quite hard and do just fine. Does it survive crashes better than the Storch?

kdobson83

What about their respective crash resistance? I've seen the Cub hit the quite hard and do just fine. Does it survive crashes better than the Storch?
I've owned a cub, but not a Storch. The cub takes a hit for sure. It is smaller so less to damage, and I'd guess a bit lighter too.
I'd suggest a tiny trainer first tho. Fly that for a few, then move up. The tiny trainer is so versital.

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
Both the cub and the Storch have undercarriage! Until a beginner learns the basics of controlled flight the undercarriage becomes a liability because in a poor landing the undercarriage is driven into the fuselage causing damage OR it trips the plane on landing a nose in and even roll over both causing unnecessary damage. Another consideration is the added weight. The more the plane weighs the greater its damage in a crash!

A TT without landing gear is great for learning the basics and has no undercarriage to increase damage.

After learning to fly basically then seek out either a cub or Storch!

Just a thought!

Have fun!

Tronglodon

Both the cub and the Storch have undercarriage! Until a beginner learns the basics of controlled flight the undercarriage becomes a liability because in a poor landing the undercarriage is driven into the fuselage causing damage OR it trips the plane on landing a nose in and even roll over both causing unnecessary damage. Another consideration is the added weight. The more the plane weighs the greater its damage in a crash!

A TT without landing gear is great for learning the basics and has no undercarriage to increase damage.

After learning to fly basically then seek out either a cub or Storch!

Just a thought!

Have fun!
Here's a photo of my Cub's landing gear giving up. After this I replaced the shredded foam landing gear insert with the 3d printed version on the FT Thingiverse page. That one has held up perfectly and seems to distribute the load of landing much better. I'll also add another vote for the Tiny Trainer. People have mentioned the TT is easy to fly and versatile, it's also a hell of a lot of fun. And shrugs off crashes like nothing happened.
IMG_20190427_093514_766.jpg

Turbo

One weakness in the Storch design as far as wrecks is the nose. My Storch crashed nose down on takeoff on its maiden flight due to some electrical problems. It wasn't a hard hit but the foam board piece on the top of the nose that holds the bbq skewers and power pod ripped up and off the side fuselage. I would re-enforce that inside corner where those pieces meet with a bead of hot glue. Then iron or cut a chamfer along the top edges of your power pod to clear the extra glue.

Last edited:

basslord1124

My Cub took some hard hits when I was having CG issues, and the only significant damage was the landing gear. Even that was easily repairable. Really foamboard in general can take a beating and may crinkle some but still be functional. BUT it also just depends how it hits when it crashes too. Tough and durable yes, but it can still break.