Simple Cub Power Pod setup

davidkdk

Hey Folks,

I've almost finished building my first FliteTest plane, the Simple Cub. It's my first build of anything in about 40 years... and it's been excellent... and fun.

I'm using Power Pack B with a 3S 1300mAh battery. The build video shows the ESC on the bottom of the power pod but then it changes to the battery velcroed to the bottom of the power pod.

I switched mine around so that the ESC is now inside the power pod... but... when testing the fit of the battery it seems that the wires are really exposed at the front of the plane. Is this right? Could someone post an image of what theirs looks like?

I understood that the reason for the battery at the bottom of the power pod was for ease of access and balancing. But it seems to me that the wires in front kind of get the the way and pulling the battery off the velcro is going to be tough.

If the battery were inside the pod, I know I'd have to take the wings off to get at it. But then getting at the battery seems to be easier.

I understand it can be done either way... but is there a best way? So far this has been my only stumbling block. I'll appreciate any advice you can give.

Cheers,

David

Attachments

• SimpleCubBattery.JPG
    SimpleCubBattery.JPG
    470.2 KB · Views: 0

mrjdstewart

Legendary member
yup, just make sure you stuff the battery cables into the plane. all of my cubs have the esc inside the pod and the battery velcro-ed to the bottom.

good luck with the maiden.

me :cool:

Tronglodon

I tried both ways and ended up putting the battery in the pod through a hatch cut in the windshield. That way I don't have to take the wings off. With the 2200 3s that I'm using I couldn't move the battery back far enough for cg under the pod because of the landing gear support.

davidkdk

Thanks. Those cables are really stiff... they just don't want to be tucked. When you need to get at your battery... do you slide out the power pod? Or does it stay in place and you just reach in, past the wires, and detach it?

I'm not sure when I'll get to fly it... it's been raining here in Ontario for 2 months now.

Last edited:

davidkdk

I tried both ways and ended up putting the battery in the pod through a hatch cut in the windshield. That way I don't have to take the wings off. With the 2200 3s that I'm using I couldn't move the battery back far enough for cg under the pod because of the landing gear support.
Thanks... I can see that. The landing gear would be under the battery and not allow enough room to pull the battery off the velcro.

I may change back to the ESC under the power pod, battery inside, and deal with the wings for now... and then... when I'm brave enough... cut a hatch in the windshield. Do you have a pic of your windshield hatch?

Tronglodon

Here's the best pic I have. The hatch hinges up from halfway down the nose. I first cut the line for the hinge from inside the plane, then cut out the three sides of the hatch. I smeared the edges of everything with hot glue to prevent the paper from peeling.

Attachments

• MVIMG_20190504_082627~2.jpg
    MVIMG_20190504_082627~2.jpg
    139.8 KB · Views: 0

davidkdk

Here's the best pic I have. The hatch hinges up from halfway down the nose. I first cut the line for the hinge from inside the plane, then cut out the three sides of the hatch. I smeared the edges of everything with hot glue to prevent the paper from peeling.
Thanks for the visual... I can always see things better... when I can see things... so to speak.

mrjdstewart

Legendary member
i never fly my cub on anything more than a 3S-1300 and can do 10min flights. this is with both the B and C pack motors. don't know why you would want to stuff a 2200 in there.

just my $.02,

davidkdk

i never fly my cub on anything more than a 3S-1300 and can do 10min flights. this is with both the B and C pack motors. don't know why you would want to stuff a 2200 in there.

just my $.02,

How are your ESC and battery situated. EDIT: Sorry... you said. I've changed mine to ESC inside the POD and battery at the bottom. With the battery in the pod, I still couldn't get to it to unplug it.

mrjdstewart

Legendary member
on the inside of the pod, a 1/2 inch from fire wall, i cut a hole large enough to stuff my xt-60 connector though. when i velcro my battery in, i do with the power leads towards the rear of the plane. then when connected it pulls the motor wires back and out of the way. stuff as needed.

my 3 current cubs...

20190516_175553.jpg

and a close up ...

20190516_175639.jpg

hope this helps,

Tronglodon

How are your ESC and battery situated. EDIT: Sorry... you said. I've changed mine to ESC inside the POD and battery at the bottom. With the battery in the pod, I still couldn't get to it to unplug it.

I soldered up a battery extension lead to make positioning the battery easier.