Simple Cub Suggestions

only1bobert

I have built my simple cub as a 3 channel to start out. Does anyone have recommendations regarding landing gear wire for this? I have tried the 4mm stuff for the storch and that was a little big to handle and I don't think it is needed for the smaller plane like this simple cub. This is my third plane cutting out from the pattern onto my own foam board and I still find myself going through on the edges where you peel the foam away to cover the exposed foam on the edges. Any suggestions on how to prevent this or is this something that will just get better with time?
IMG_1217.JPEG
IMG_1220.JPEG
IMG_1218.JPEG

FDS

Elite member
I use 3mm piano wire on the simple series.
With the foam edges, that looks like your blade was blunt in a few spots. Try a different new one, I reckon on changing the blade every sheet of board if there’s a lot of parts. If you are using a snap off type blade try something with a better point like an Xacto knife or even a Stanley blade. Personally I like scalpel type knives for curves and cutting out, then Stanley blades for bevels, but everyone has a favourite knife.
If you are peeling the paper a little heat can help it come off cleanly, different boards use different glue for the layers.
You can also round the edges of the board with a clothes iron, it neatens and seals them very well, practice on scrap and don’t use your best clothes iron, get a cheap one, as it wrecks the covering in the iron foot.

only1bobert

Any suggestions on mounting the landing gear to the simple cub? I followed the directions for the storch and have separated it from the foam 3x now.

FDS

Elite member
I like the method used on the Simple Scout where you put it in a slot in the fuselage, I have used it on my TT and a couple of other planes.
The way it’s done on the Sportster with it on the bottom of the fuselage always leads to damage. I have had to laminate my Sportster undercarriage in lite ply that screws to another ply plate glued to the fuselage foam.

moret

I use the thick 3.2 mm Flite test landing gear wire. But I have a vice to use to bend the wire and cutters. I think the landing gear is the weakest part of the Flite test planes or I land harder then most.

I put down a strip of packing tape, then cut wide popsicle sticks as long as the Flite test landing gear pattern and put them on the tape. Now cut sticks as long as the FT pattern is high, and glue them on top 90 degree to the first set. Lay your landing gear wire on the two layers and cut more sticks as needed to fill up even with the wire. ( I use 2 layers.) Now add 2 more layers on top. Each layer at 90 degree to the one below. Glue popsicle sticks around the slot in the fuselage for the landing gear. I use this set up on my simple cub and scout. On a calm day I do a lot of touch and goes with the scout, running down the runway with the wheels on the ground and the tail in the air. I also glue the gear in the plane.

Good luck

Reactions: FDS

Diggington

I have built my simple cub as a 3 channel to start out. Does anyone have recommendations regarding landing gear wire for this? I have tried the 4mm stuff for the storch and that was a little big to handle and I don't think it is needed for the smaller plane like this simple cub. This is my third plane cutting out from the pattern onto my own foam board and I still find myself going through on the edges where you peel the foam away to cover the exposed foam on the edges. Any suggestions on how to prevent this or is this something that will just get better with time?
View attachment 130434 View attachment 130436 View attachment 130435
Insulation hangar from the rafters in the basement!